Black Super Air travel adjustment- Mtbr.com
    Still chuggin' along

Black Super Air travel adjustment

Well, I finally got my Black Super upgraded from 100mm to 120mm and so far, only having spent a few hours on it, I really , really like the feel of it. When I did the upgrade, I was hoping for a couple of things- one, to slow down the steering a little bit b/c I'm running a short stem and two, to raised the bb height.

The travel adjustment accomplished both goals for me. I was a little worried that the bb height would end up being too tall but it actually turned out perfect! I'm no longer banging my pedals on downstrokes and the bike still feels very stable at slow speeds (Turner XCE). I haven't been able to test out brake dive b/c my front brake isn't working properly but I suspect its going to be worse than it was. All in all, I'm really impressed with how much better the fork feels in this travel setting. I thought it was plush before now it really smooths out the rocks and roots!

One thing we found out though, is that the owner's manual says to turn the cartridge counterclockwise to get it back in but in fact it needs to go clockwise. The owner's manual also states that for a lockout version, the fork needs 90-104mm of oil but we ended up having to put 120mm (the non-lockout needs 117-127mm).

Now, I have a question for any of you experts out there. The top out now is really harsh and it wasn't like it that before the travel upgrade. Its noticably worse when the fork in on fast rebound but not as bad when its on slow rebound, although, still present. Any ideas? The top out bumper is in place and is in good condition.

Thanks!

And enjoy our snowstorm East Coasters!

mtbr member

black super air

Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Well, I finally got my Black Super upgraded from 100mm to 120mm and so far, only having spent a few hours on it, I really , really like the feel of it. When I did the upgrade, I was hoping for a couple of things- one, to slow down the steering a little bit b/c I'm running a short stem and two, to raised the bb height.

The travel adjustment accomplished both goals for me. I was a little worried that the bb height would end up being too tall but it actually turned out perfect! I'm no longer banging my pedals on downstrokes and the bike still feels very stable at slow speeds (Turner XCE). I haven't been able to test out brake dive b/c my front brake isn't working properly but I suspect its going to be worse than it was. All in all, I'm really impressed with how much better the fork feels in this travel setting. I thought it was plush before now it really smooths out the rocks and roots!

One thing we found out though, is that the owner's manual says to turn the cartridge counterclockwise to get it back in but in fact it needs to go clockwise. The owner's manual also states that for a lockout version, the fork needs 90-104mm of oil but we ended up having to put 120mm (the non-lockout needs 117-127mm).

Now, I have a question for any of you experts out there. The top out now is really harsh and it wasn't like it that before the travel upgrade. Its noticably worse when the fork in on fast rebound but not as bad when its on slow rebound, although, still present. Any ideas? The top out bumper is in place and is in good condition.

Thanks!

And enjoy our snowstorm East Coasters!
    Do you have an 02 that is internally switchable or an 03 that can be switched externally. Kinda wondering as I would like to change my 02 to 120mm. Looking forward to snowstorm in coastal Ma.tuesday and wednesday. Estimates are allready up to a foot. Maybe it will warm us up (-1 this am) Jim

Still chuggin' along
    Yep, I have an '02 so everything had to be taken apart. Oddly enough, the bumper was red but Manitou insisted that it was supposed to be white.

Mmm, a foot of snow lucky you! We're expecting 5"-8" and its coming down hard right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the kids won't have school tomorrow.

mtbr member

more super air questions

Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Yep, I have an '02 so everything had to be taken apart. Oddly enough, the bumper was red but Manitou insisted that it was supposed to be white.

Mmm, a foot of snow lucky you! We're expecting 5"-8" and its coming down hard right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the kids won't have school tomorrow.
    Wondering how you got the parts for the 120mm conversion.
    My understanding was that Manitou would supply them free, only charging for shipping. Does yours lose air when used in the cold? Mine has lost air when stored in a cold room, since new. Jim

Still chuggin' along
    The shop had to order the parts for the travel upgrade and although, the manual saaaaayyyyys its free, they don't tell you that its only free for those who bought the fork separately, i.e. that it didn't come on a bike. Otherwise, its 21.99.

And no mine hasn't lost any air and I've ridden when its 8 deg. outside. Surprisingly, the mechanic said everything looks new even after all the mud and water around here this summer and he was impressed with how good the seals are so if you're losing enough to inhibit proper performance you might want to get that checked out.

Cheers,
    Kristina