Big boys shox- Mtbr.com

Thread: Big boys shox

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Big boys shox

Sorry, didn't notice the dedicated forum to suspension.

What's the best shock for big dudes? DH style spring over? I'm 280 and am now loosing pressure on my rear shock. Bikes 2 months old with 30 days riding about 30 miles each day mostly all mountain free ride type trails..

Also what's a good big dude front shock?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    What bike/shock do you have?

Generally speaking, heavy riders need to stick with air sprung suspension because the coil springs needed for heavy riders are not available. To figure out if coil is an option you need to know your bike frame leverage ratio to see if they make heavy enough springs.(or your shocks stroke and bikes rear wheel travel) You also would need to find out if your leverage ratio is rising, falling, or linear. If its anything but rising, a coil spring shock will generally perform poorly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Fuji Bikes | MOUNTAIN SERIES | CROSS COUNTRY | OUTLAND 3.0

There's a link to the bike. Maybe there is a stronger air shock than the bar from rockshox?

mtbr member
    The Bar is the lowest shock in the Rock Shox line up. If you get a Rock Shox Monarch or Fox RP shock you would be in much better shape. Quality and performance is much higher and your problems should go away. You will still need to replace the air can seals once a year or so though. But that is just maintenance.

At your weight, you would want to opt for the lower volume air can. So keep that in mind. Take it to the shop you got it from. They can contact Rock Shox and they may work with you on an upgrade as part of a warranty claim since new shocks shouldnt leak air to begin with.

mtbr member
    As mullen119 mentioned a better rear shock from Rockshox, Fox, or even X-Fusion will likely serve you better. If you can measure the length and travel of that shock I might be able to recommend a coil over. Your going to need to be about 7.875" x 2.0" minimum for a coil shock these days. Front fork wise, if you haven't swapped the stock spring out in the XC32 fork for an Xfirm you need to. It is a lower end fork, but is plenty strong for your size. However the stock spring is designed for the under 200# crowd.

mtbr member
    Dont quote me on it, But I believe the rear shock is 6.5 X1.5 and not good coil shocks are made in that size. From the pictures, it looks like a rear shock with a piggy back may have issues fitting in the frame regardless of the shocks length though.

definitely look into a heavier coil for the fork, or upgrading to an air fork.

It is a XC bike, so riding it on AM of FR trails is taking it past its intended purpose. Keep that in mind before you spend a lot of money on upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for all the info. I got a great deal from the shop. Brand new from fuji at 50% of retail price. I got two. We had never done true mtn biking before and wanted a decent entry level bike for my 12 y/o and me to start with. I figured I would ride them this year hard then upgrade some parts for next season uaing it for just xc. I plan to buy a decent free ride/dh bike next year. I blasted my rear derailed last Saturday too but was able to ge at least 8 of my 10 gears to work well.. Need to replace it though, I tail whipped too far and smacked a tree with it. I am not taking any huge drops, jumps or gaps with it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Also, with 30 miles each on 30 days riding you're at about 90 hours on the shock. The shock needs to be serviced every 100 hours of riding, and more frequently if you're a big dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am 205lbs. I have an adjustable shock that came on my 29er cannondale sl4. The brand is called deuce. The fork is 1.5 and has 80mm of travel. What would be an affordable upgrade from here or should i just stay with what i have?

Members who have read this thread: 0