BETD "Strong Bush" (for FSR) has a little play...?- Mtbr.com
    Transition Blindside v5

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! BETD "Strong Bush" (for FSR) has a little play...?

I have a BETD Travel Linkage on my '03 SJ FSR. Along with it, I also have their Strong Bush and Hula Hoop combo installed for both the upper & lower Fox-shock eyelets.

I noticed that, while the shaft piece is of the correct length/width, the sleeve piece is a tad too short (by 1mm?), enough to give a room for some side-to-side play. As a result, the bushes (Hula Hoop pieces) are even popping out of the shock eyelets, as visible in the pictures below. I even installed a brandnew pair of bushes for both the upper & lower eyelets to make sure it wasn't by the current Hula bushes being worn out (only about 500 miles so far, though), but it consistantly yields the same result for both eyelets, ride after ride. Most importantly, now I'm worried that my Fox shock is experiencing some unnecessary side-to-side load throughout the compression cycles during the ride.

I already contacted BETD, and they told me that the slight gap is intended in their design ("as the reducers should NOT rub on the side of the shock"), and also that they've never heard of this problem where the bushes sliding out of eyelets, either. I'm not sure what to think about this, but I don't think there should be any side-to-side play for a rear shock. For example, even the stock 2-piece reducers added up to the exact width of the stock linkage (no room for side-to-side play for the shock), and this side-play problem didn't happen with the stock parts (although the bolt got bent quite frequently - hence ordering the BETD bushs/reducers in the first place).

What do you guys think?
    Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-23-2004 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    I have a BETD Travel Linkage on my '03 SJ FSR. Along with it, I also have their Strong Bush and Hula Hoop combo installed for both the upper & lower Fox-shock eyelets.

I noticed that, while the shaft piece is of the correct length/width, the sleeve piece is a tad too short (by 1mm?), enough to give a room for some side-to-side play. As a result, the bushes (Hula Hoop pieces) are even popping out of the shock eyelets, as visible in the pictures below. I even installed a brandnew pair of bushes for both the upper & lower eyelets to make sure it wasn't by the current Hula bushes being worn out (only about 500 miles so far, though), but it consistantly yields the same result for both eyelets, ride after ride. Most importantly, now I'm worried that my Fox shock is experiencing some unnecessary side-to-side load throughout the compression cycles during the ride.

I contacted BETD, and they said the slight gap is intended in their design ("as the reducers should NOT rub on the side of the shock"), and they've never heard of this problem bushes sliding out of eyelets, either. I'm not sure what to think about this, but I don't think there should be any side-to-side play for a rear shock. For example, the stock 2-piece reducers added up to the exact width of the stock linkage (no room for side-to-side play for the shock), and this didn't happen then (though the bolt got bent quite frequently - hence went with BETD bushs/reducers because of it in the first place).

What do you guys think?
    Thanks,
    - PiroChu

Not sure I understand what the Hula Hoops do - So does the Hoop replace the Fox bushing? I ran a Stratos Helix on an older K2 single pivot and noticed their reducers do not touch the bushings by about .025". I did run the K2 w/ a loose swingarm for about 15 rides and noticed the shocks rear bushings wore un-evenly left to right. Unless the bushings are wearing un-evenly I'd leave well enough alone.

mtbr member

same set up no prob's

I have almost the identical set up as you except for the frame year...2002 FSR with BETD linkage (same as yours), plus the strong bush and hula hoop. I have not noticed anyside play in my shock and the hoops do not pop out.

I'll take a look at mine this evening and see if anything jumps out. I guess one question is to see if there is any wear in the shock eye-lets that may cause the hulu-hoop peices to slide a little.

I'll try and post some pictures for comparision tonight.

mtbr member
    If worse comes to worse just use the reg metal DU bearings and the strong one piece bushing in the rear cause in the end its the one piece bushing that makes for longer wear rates on the DU's.The front mounts always last longer it seems.And 1mm sounds like too much space,usually the space is just enough.Stratos has one piece bushings so does 5th element.http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=2405 http://www.stratosusa.com/main.html

Transition Blindside v5

Yes, please let me know...

Yes, please let me know what you find out with yours...

I'll try and post some pictures for comparision tonight.

Specifically, could you see if your "sleeve" piece of the "strong bush" has a (1mm?) room to slide between the inside wall of the linkage and the wall of the shock shaft, like how mine does)? I'd like to know if you have this sizing/length issue with the "sleeve" piece as well. I mean, I can lightly hold the "sleeve" piece between my thumb & index finger, and then easily spin it around and slide it along the "shaft" piece back-and-forth (about 1mm? or so) between its given space. (By the way, you have the Strong Bush/Hula combo's for both eyelets, too, correct? Also, how long have you been using them? Just curious...)

When my Hula's start to come out of the eyelets (about 1mm?), I take off the shock and push the Hula's back in, then re-install the shock and go for a ride. I'd come home, and do the same again. FYI, my Fox Float RL shock is only about 700-mile old so far, so I don't think my eyelets are bad, yet(?)...

I'm starting to worry about my Fox Float more and more...

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-24-2004 at 07:24 AM.

Jan 2004
    This is a bit apple to oranges, but I got the BETD shaft and hula hoop stuff for my Romic/Turner and there is no side play. The shaft/sleeve fit snug to the bushings. What I see in your pics doesn't look correct.

mtbr member
    I checked mmy sleeve and strong bushes and there is no movement. The strong bushes are flush (or very close to flush with the shock and they can not be moved by hand. (I used the BETD bush tool to install them). I have around 1400 miles on the float shock so I agree your eyelets should not be bad, but nothing suprises me. You might check the sizing with BETD. I almost ordered the wrong size, but they caught it and corrected it.

I have been using the strong bush/ hula hoop combo for about 4-5 months. I have had the linkage a year and a half. I did have a lot of play with the original BETD bushes and fox hula hoops on the shaft side of the shock.

I will attached some pictures of my set up (if I can get the pics to post). Sorry, the bikes pretty dirt right now, but you can still see the hoop and bush.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by string; 06-23-2004 at 04:10 PM.

STS
    mtbr member
    I've seen the BETD web, and only allows to choose the total width of the bush and the hole diametre, so all centre space seems to be the same.
    Do you know if they come with the DU bearing?
    Or you must order a separately hula hoops
    Thanks

mtbr member

I think it came with one hula hoop...

I think it came with one hula hoop, but I don't remember. I went ahead and ordered a set of the hula hoops when I ordered the strong stock bushes. You can E-mail BETD to make sure; they usually respond in a day or two.

I would actually asked them the sizing before ordering online.

The BETD bush extracting tool works great, although its expensive.

Members who have read this thread: 0