Best "set it and forget it" 170-180mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best "set it and forget it" 170-180mm fork?

I'm looking for a 170-180mm fork for my 2001 SC Bullit to replace the 150mm Sherman on it now. I also have a Norco A Line with a Boxxer Team, but I prefer the Bullit in the fact that I can actually pedal it, and still take it to Whistler, so I'm planning on selling the A Line, hence wanting a longer travel fork for the Bullit.

I'm not sure whether to go single crown (66 or Totem/Domain) or double crown (Jr T, Sherman Slider?) but I'm not the type to be constantly fiddling with adjustments dials...I'd like to set the fork up and leave it alone.

What are some suggestions for forks that fit this description? (Is there such a thing?) I have to say I haven't had much luck with newer Marzocchi products...my son's 2009 DJ1 has been in their repair depot for 4 weeks...and we live in Vancouver, so it's not like it has to be shipped somewhere. I've heard that 2007 and prior were more reliable.

I'm not a real technical guy (as you might have figured)...I just want to ride it and not have to worry...aside from regular maintenance of course!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Marzocchi 2007 66 / 888 were some of the best stuff they ever built.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny LaRoux
    I'm looking for a 170-180mm fork for my 2001 SC Bullit to replace the 150mm Sherman on it now. I also have a Norco A Line with a Boxxer Team, but I prefer the Bullit in the fact that I can actually pedal it, and still take it to Whistler, so I'm planning on selling the A Line, hence wanting a longer travel fork for the Bullit.

I'm not sure whether to go single crown (66 or Totem/Domain) or double crown (Jr T, Sherman Slider?) but I'm not the type to be constantly fiddling with adjustments dials...I'd like to set the fork up and leave it alone.

What are some suggestions for forks that fit this description? (Is there such a thing?) I have to say I haven't had much luck with newer Marzocchi products...my son's 2009 DJ1 has been in their repair depot for 4 weeks...and we live in Vancouver, so it's not like it has to be shipped somewhere. I've heard that 2007 and prior were more reliable.

I'm not a real technical guy (as you might have figured)...I just want to ride it and not have to worry...aside from regular maintenance of course!

Thanks
    2007 66 RC2X

mtbr member
    Set and forget?

Domain 318

Oct 2005
    I'm agreeing with the 66. The Domain is ok as well, just no compression adjust, and I don't feel it's totally in league with a 66, which provides at least a LSC control (X models add an HSC cart), and bottom out and progressivity via oil levels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm agreeing with the 66. The Domain is ok as well, just no compression adjust, and I don't feel it's totally in league with a 66, which provides at least a LSC control (X models add an HSC cart), and bottom out and progressivity via oil levels.
    The Domain 318 offers low speed compression damping adjustment via motion control. I do agree that its not in the league of the 66, but it may be good enough that most riders will be happy with it.

Oct 2005
    Thanks for mentioning that. That definitely might be good enough for some to dial out some bob.

You had a Domain, no? How was the BO resistance?

mtbr member
    THanks for the suggestions guys.

Marzocchi seems to be the fork of choice here in the Vancouver area...I just have a bad taste in my mouth after the problems we've had getting the warranty work done on the DJ1.

But maybe the 2007 and older 66's aren't as troublesome. I'll check prices on those and the Domains used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IMO once you get any fork set up, there's no reason to change it, so what would be the benefit of something like a Domain 318IS that just has less options to set it up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Thanks for mentioning that. That definitely might be good enough for some to dial out some bob.

You had a Domain, no? How was the BO resistance?
    Briefly yes, it worked out that I ended up not needing a 2nd fork of that travel and its on the shelf waiting for my next project.

I'm far from a "huck" type rider and though I do ride DH resorts, I prefer the chunky steep trails instead of flinging myself off high places, but it has happened. I really think I prefer the linear spring rate of a coil and I had no complaints with the Domain. I thought it felt like a big Pike, which is a good thing. I guess I can't speak much to BO resistance because I like a linear rate. I'll say that it has less resistance than my Z1 is capable of when I made an effort to get noticeable BO resist(though I ultimately went away from this, preferring a linear rate). Running a proper sag for my weight the fork worked well. I very rarely had a noticeable BO but used full travel.

My opinion is its a great fork for mere mortal DH/FR/AM/Enduro/Trail riders who are not only interested in big hits. I suspect that type would be best served by the tuneable BO of a Marz fork.

Only negatives for the Domain 318 were weight, and though it felt really great, it didn't have that feel of a properly tuned and maintained Zoke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Briefly yes, it worked out that I ended up not needing a 2nd fork of that travel and its on the shelf waiting for my next project.

I'm far from a "huck" type rider and though I do ride DH resorts, I prefer the chunky steep trails instead of flinging myself off high places, but it has happened. I really think I prefer the linear spring rate of a coil and I had no complaints with the Domain. I thought it felt like a big Pike, which is a good thing. I guess I can't speak much to BO resistance because I like a linear rate. I'll say that it has less resistance than my Z1 is capable of when I made an effort to get noticeable BO resist(though I ultimately went away from this, preferring a linear rate). Running a proper sag for my weight the fork worked well. I very rarely had a noticeable BO but used full travel.

My opinion is its a great fork for mere mortal DH/FR/AM/Enduro/Trail riders who are not only interested in big hits. I suspect that type would be best served by the tuneable BO of a Marz fork.

Only negatives for the Domain 318 were weight, and though it felt really great, it didn't have that feel of a properly tuned and maintained Zoke.
    I found a few Domains on Jenson USA for really good prices...There's a 318 160mm for $399 and a 302 165mm for $299. Looks like they are OE forks, but would that matter? It also looks like the more expensive of the 2 has rebound and compression, while the cheaper only says it has rebound.

I can't find any documentation on the SRAM site for OE stuff...so I don't know too much about them.

mtbr member
    I would avoid the 302. But the 318 that is on Jenson seems to be the same as the aftermarket 318. I'd say go for it, just make sure the steer tube is long enough.

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    I bought the OE 318 160mm Domain from JensonUSA and i gotta say it was a rockin' great deal.... It came with a full length uncut steerer also so no problem there....

So far I only find the damping to be slightly heavy so I'll be changing the oil weight to a lighter one tonight....

But I gotta say the damping system is simple and works great.... U feel the high speed compression damping kicking in on the large hits..... The low speed compression damping is externally adjustable too... I set it to the minimum and it's nice....

I don't find it heavy anyways..... It feels strong, and the weight is only around 6pounds plus.... I'm a 180 pound rider and like to do small 2 ft wheelie drops flat to concrete....You don't feel it while riding, seriously... And even if you do, you get used to it in no time.....

IMHO You will not regret getting one at that price!
    Mas
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masnumata
    I bought the OE 318 160mm Domain from JensonUSA and i gotta say it was a rockin' great deal.... It came with a full length uncut steerer also so no problem there....

So far I only find the damping to be slightly heavy so I'll be changing the oil weight to a lighter one tonight....

But I gotta say the damping system is simple and works great.... U feel the high speed compression damping kicking in on the large hits..... The low speed compression damping is externally adjustable too... I set it to the minimum and it's nice....

I don't find it heavy anyways..... It feels strong, and the weight is only around 6pounds plus.... I'm a 180 pound rider and like to do small 2 ft wheelie drops flat to concrete....You don't feel it while riding, seriously... And even if you do, you get used to it in no time.....

IMHO You will not regret getting one at that price!
    Mas
    Thanks for the input. I picked up a Domain 318 locally today. 180mm travel version. It was $500 CDN for a 2009 model. Works out a bit cheaper than the one at Jenson for me, once you factor in shipping, exchange and duties. Plus it's always good to support the local guys : )

I haven't gotten to mounting it yet...tomorrow!! Can't wait to try it.

Members who have read this thread: 0