Best inexpensive shock.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Best inexpensive shock.....

I bought my GF a 2005 Trek 4500 with disc brakes this past summer. Part of the reason I made the quick purchase of the bike was because my old Trek Y-22 had Rockshox Judy's and so did the new Trek. But after riding it, the difference is night and day. I am pi**ed that Rockshox would give the same name to an obviously inferior shock. Okay, I got roped in.....the question is now, do I upgrade or not? If I do, I would like something inexpensive.

Any opinions?

My GF says she is happy with the bike.....I am the one who feels like he was duped.

mtbr member
    i was just going to post the same thing, im looking for a good front shock for my Kona and it has to cheap, but im not in any rush, my rst 281 work fine for now, im just looking for any other real alternatives in a close price range

Hoopy Frood

What does inexpensive mean to you?

To me, an inexpensive fork is less than $200. The best option would be to get a quality used or NOS fork. I wouldn't buy a used fork unless I knew the previous owner, though.

For new forks in the XC category, I would go with either a 2005 Marzocchi MX or a Manitou Skareb.

The MX forks are being blown out by most sites now. They're good forks with a nice ride, bullet proof construction, and easy maintenance. The only downsides are the weight and their lack of high-speed damping (i.e., they tend to pack up at speed).

New Skarebs can be found cheap on eBay but you have to deal with all that auction stuff. I've never ridden one so I can't comment on them but them seem like they would be good for budget XC racers or lighter-weight/smoother riders.

The new RockShox Tora forks look good, too, but they'll cost more than $200.

I prefer the MX forks as I'm a fan of Marzocchi and not worried about weight. I have an MX Comp on my singlespeed and like it a lot.

YMMV.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Re: I wouldn't buy a used fork unless I knew the previous owner, though.

I agree with you 100% on that one. Never know how hard the fork has been used. So many people here love to buy off of ebay, but IMO there is a tradeoff if you do not get a warranty, especially with bike frames where you must be the original owner.

What do people think of the Manitou Axel forks? I have one that came on my Gary Fisher Marlin and absolutely love it. I hear a lot of people complain about them, and was curious if anyone has had any bad experiences with them? I have seen some (at Nashbar I think) for around $89.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    My GF says she is happy with the bike.....I am the one who feels like he was duped.
    Dude!!! Is she he or what???

Joking...

Now on the matter... The Axels are nothing impressive and you might not feel like an improvement over the Judy. Maybe.. but who knows?

Get a MX from Marzocchi. You can get them for dirt cheap at downshift cycles, contact Jared

You will not be disappointed.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by khill
    To me, an inexpensive fork is less than $200. The best option would be to get a quality used or NOS fork. I wouldn't buy a used fork unless I knew the previous owner, though.

For new forks in the XC category, I would go with either a 2005 Marzocchi MX or a Manitou Skareb.

The MX forks are being blown out by most sites now. They're good forks with a nice ride, bullet proof construction, and easy maintenance. The only downsides are the weight and their lack of high-speed damping (i.e., they tend to pack up at speed).

New Skarebs can be found cheap on eBay but you have to deal with all that auction stuff. I've never ridden one so I can't comment on them but them seem like they would be good for budget XC racers or lighter-weight/smoother riders.

The new RockShox Tora forks look good, too, but they'll cost more than $200.

I prefer the MX forks as I'm a fan of Marzocchi and not worried about weight. I have an MX Comp on my singlespeed and like it a lot.

YMMV.
    Wow.....both people here making recommendations are recommending the Marzocchi MX fork.....I will have to look at that one(never have ridden a Marzocchi).

EDR
    Yes Batman! Get the Marzocchi.

I have a MX Comp 105mm W/ETA and its a very good fork. Especially since now the 05's are being blown out at about half of what I paid for mine a few years back. YES to Marzocchi, if you haven't considered them you are doing yourself a disservice.

...btw Warp, I think he was speaking about himself in the 3rd person. Took me several times reading that to fiqure it out, lol.

mtbr member
    ughh, and here i was thinking i would get away with paying less for a good set of shocks that are less then what i paid for my bike, but i guess you cant beat 100 bucks for a kona, even an older one

Members who have read this thread: 0