Best fork for around $200??- Mtbr.com

Sep 2008

Best fork for around $200??

I know its not much, but alot of sites are having blowout sales right now. I was considering the RS Tora 302, on clearance now for under $200. I would like to spend more but i'm leaving for vacation next week and need to keep my spending in control.

I ride a trek hardtail, basically ride AM i guess, not picky really, just want something better then my RST Gilla fork. I would like 120mm+ travel. The tora seems to fit in this category, but read some reviews about it leaking, is that common?

Any other recs? Should i stay away from RS???

Former Bike Wrench
    Spend an extra $50 and get the RS Tora 318...the damper is a significant upgrade over the 302. The 302 Damper is the one you read about leaking, the 318 Damper is solid. The Solo Air version comes stock at 100mm but can be converted to 130mm by removing the internal spacer (about a 10-15min job).

Sep 2008
    ok i'll check it out. Is there another brand i should check out? Anything by marzocchi or fox i should look at?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For your price point I'd stick with Rock Shox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Spend an extra $50 and get the RS Tora 318...the damper is a significant upgrade over the 302. The 302 Damper is the one you read about leaking, the 318 Damper is solid. The Solo Air version comes stock at 100mm but can be converted to 130mm by removing the internal spacer (about a 10-15min job).
    I'm curious, does the solo air come with the U-turn? If not, why wouldn't you want a U-turn?
    How would you convert a U-turn to a 100mm permanent? Just for the record.

Former Bike Wrench
    U-Turn is coil only...why I wouldn't want U-Turn is that there is no reason for me to change the travel of my fork. If the fork is set at the travel that works best for my frame, there is no need to change it. If you want a U-Turn to be 100mm permanently...set it at 100mm and simply don't touch the dial

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    U-Turn is coil only...why I wouldn't want U-Turn is that there is no reason for me to change the travel of my fork. If the fork is set at the travel that works best for my frame, there is no need to change it. If you want a U-Turn to be 100mm permanently...set it at 100mm and simply don't touch the dial
    my bike is suited for a 100mm. i think i might have been better off buying the solo air 100mm. i listened to someone on here and bought the coil with U-turn. Riding around with it today, it's a pain in the ass turning and adjusting.

Former Bike Wrench
    Exactly...I once had a Manitou (actually two) that had adjustable travel. Once the novelty of changing travel got old...I never used the travel adjustment (I'm the same way with lock outs). Adjustable travel is a great selling point, but many just don't use it once they dial in their forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Exactly...I once had a Manitou (actually two) that had adjustable travel. Once the novelty of changing travel got old...I never used the travel adjustment (I'm the same way with lock outs). Adjustable travel is a great selling point, but many just don't use it once they dial in their forks.
    Is there any point in getting rid of the U-turn?
    i think i should have been talking to you when i was shopping around for forks.

Members who have read this thread: 0