Avalanche or Push (2018 Fox 34 Factory 130mm)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

New question here. Avalanche or Push (2018 Fox 34 Factory 130mm)

Hi

I'd love to hear everybody's opinions possibly including Darren and Craig about upgrading my Fox 34 Factory fork.

Basic Info
    - Rider weight - 138lbs (62.5kg)
    - Rider - Expert (I'm not semi-pro but I get top 5% DH in my local trail)
    - Type of riding - Trail (NorCal / Demo Forest - Downieville etc)
    - Bike - Evil the following V1 (small)
    - Fork - 2018 Fox 34 Factory 130mm
    - Current Setting - 63psi 3 spaces LSC 0-3 clicks from open, Rebound 4 clicks from open
    - Rear shock - Avalanche mod RS monarch 190psi 2 bands on Positive

Note*
    The fork is serviced at Brennan Auto
    Mountain Bike Shock Service - Fork Service - MTB Shock & Fork Service - Northern CA

I assume that the condition is as good as it could be. The guy told me it was too much grease in my negative causing performance loss.

Issues / Reason for considering mod
    - Feels harsh on consecutive brake bumps with high speed.

Please let me know whether I should send my shock to Push or Avy.

Avalanch
    I tuned my rear shock with Avy and I'm very happy with the result. I'm not sure this cartridge will help me with my issues.

Fox 34 Open Bath Cartridge Kit

Push
    I don't have any experience with them. I asked them what they will do my fork and what will changes. They just told me it's better. I wasn't too happy with the answer.

As a smaller rider with experience with Avy, I fully understand the benefit of custom damping tune. But I also understand the benefit of custom damping is less for the fork due to its lower pressure.

Please help me what would be the best option for me at this point. I'd like to keep my bike light so I'm not considering going to coil at this point.

Thank you guys for your help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Craig doesn't show up here too often... You're better off calling him and asking about your issue.

You have the 3-position switch right? Do you use it?? If you were to get the Avalanche cartridge the damping will be so good you won't need to worry about switches for climbing.

As for Push tuning of the damper, I've had my 36 RC2 done and it's "okay". Mind you, I had it tuned when I still had my air spring in there which is a complete piece of trash (thanks Fox!). I was forced to get the coil upgrade.
    Last edited by Christopher Robin; 01-14-2018 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Craig doesn't show up here too often... You're better off calling him and asking about your issue.

You have the 3-position switch right? Do you use it?? If you were to get the Avalanche cartridge the damping will be so good you won't need to worry about switches for climbing.

As for Push tuning of the damper, I've had my 36 RC2 done and it's "okay". Mind you, I had it tuned when I still hady air spring in there which is a complete piece of trash (thanks Fox!). I was forced to get the coil upgrade.
    Yes, I sent him a message but I haven't gotten the reply yet. I'll probably call in the next week to discuss. I'm a bit scared to talk on the phone but I know what I expect from him by reading many threads.

No, I don't use 3-position switch. I always run it fully open. I don't feel diving so much. However, I run pedal mode for my Monarch and saving my open for super chunky stuff after Avy mod. It's nice to have an option to go softer.

Thank you for your infor Christopher Robin. I haven't heard too much about Push's fork damper tuning. I've heard enough about 11:6 and Coil conversion though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you want to fix it, remove the fork, sell it, and get a Mattoc, DVO, or MRP. The only other solution is that which you propose, which will cost you $300-500 more and still not fix the crappy air spring. Note, I have a 34 Factory with the 2018 air piston and it suffers from the same issue, even after careful servicing. I hate the thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    If you want to fix it, remove the fork, sell it, and get a Mattoc, DVO, or MRP. The only other solution is that which you propose, which will cost you $300-500 more and still not fix the crappy air spring. Note, I have a 34 Factory with the 2018 air piston and it suffers from the same issue, even after careful servicing. I hate the thing.

This right here dvo mrp or mattoc. I donít have experience with the mattoc but I do have a dvo and mrp and they are superior to fox or rockshox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

I'd love to know your experince with Fox 34 Factory 2018 on consective bumps in high speed situation.

Are you a lighter or heavier rider? Have you experienced custom tuned forks?

I have a Fox fork so I thin custom tune is much cheaper than buying a new Mattoc, DVO or MRP.

What do you like the most?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Avalanche or Push (2018 Fox 34 Factory 130mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimonbike View Post
    I'd love to know your experince with Fox 34 Factory 2018 on consective bumps in high speed situation.

Are you a lighter or heavier rider? Have you experienced custom tuned forks?

I have a Fox fork so I thin custom tune is much cheaper than buying a new Mattoc, DVO or MRP.

What do you like the most?

Thank you!
    The 34 suffers from two problems for me, one spring related, one damper. On the spring side, it is impossible to get a balance of small bump compliance, dive resistance, and still get full travel. I attribute it to a combination of a too small negative chamber and the transfer port not being in the right position.

On the damper side, I cannot get the rebound correct. It either gets packed down and harsh, or not enough and loses control and traction. I have nothing against fox, the Vanilla 36 RC2 I used to run was a great fork. I am 230 pounds.

I have not had a tuned fork, but have tuned my own DVO forks. I have run an Avalanche tuned rear coil, as well as several Pushed shocks. Both companies make great products.

As far as DVO v Manitou. Manitous feel great, no matter how fast or slow you are going, extremely plush and slightly dead feeling. DVO stuff is tuned for aggressive riders. The harder you push it, the better it feels and it rewards an active rider with a very lively feel. At slow speeds, their stuff can feel harsh. I havenít ridden the MRP stuff, but virtually everyone who rides one loves them. The Manitou Mattoc is the best value of the three.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi Cary

Thank you for your reply.

I had the similar issue with my 34 before I drop 2018 Evol Shaft. My service guy found it was too much grease in my negative chamber effectively making the negative chamber smaller. It's QC problem, but it sounds like you have an same issue.

Damping side. We're in opposite spectrum so I bet we feel totally different. I've never felt my 34 is divy.

Good thing about Avy is that he tuned the fork/shock for you so it's so much easier to fiddle from the basic setting, which I love.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Vorsprung are releasing a upgrade for the Fit 4 damper, thats likely the route I would take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    This right here dvo mrp or mattoc. I donít have experience with the mattoc but I do have a dvo and mrp and they are superior to fox or rockshox.

What are running on the Riot? I'm thinking of tossing my 34 as well, potentially going with the Ribbon Coil or Air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    What are running on the Riot? I'm thinking of tossing my 34 as well, potentially going with the Ribbon Coil or Air.
    On my riot I have the dvo diamond front and topaz rear. My balance has a 170 mrp stage front and mrp raze rear. My epo 140 stage and just built up a 2018 boosted nimble and put a 150 ribbon on it

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Push tuning means that they will retune the existing damper in your fork to better match your situation (this is the same thing that Brennan would do). Avalanche is going to send you a completely new damper that has been tuned for your situation. The avy damper is the best fork that I have ridden and if you want to keep your fork long term I'd go that route all day long.

Based on your complaint of harshness after repeated fast bumps I'd guess that your rebound is too slow. It should not have anything to do with your air shaft. If you cannot get it set correctly then you need a retune. Since you're already using Brennan I'd try having them retune your stock damper first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    On my riot I have the dvo diamond front and topaz rear. My balance has a 170 mrp stage front and mrp raze rear. My epo 140 stage and just built up a 2018 boosted nimble and put a 150 ribbon on it

Curious your thoughts in the Diamond v Ribbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Curious your thoughts in the Diamond v Ribbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I havenít had a chance to take the new bike out yet. Been snowing a bunch here. But I have ridden a ribbon on a rootdown ba in snow shoe and it was excellent. Maybe a tick better then my diamond. But in my diamonds defense itís over due for a service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
    Push tuning means that they will retune the existing damper in your fork to better match your situation (this is the same thing that Brennan would do). Avalanche is going to send you a completely new damper that has been tuned for your situation. The avy damper is the best fork that I have ridden and if you want to keep your fork long term I'd go that route all day long.

Based on your complaint of harshness after repeated fast bumps I'd guess that your rebound is too slow. It should not have anything to do with your air shaft. If you cannot get it set correctly then you need a retune. Since you're already using Brennan I'd try having them retune your stock damper first.
    Thank you for your insightful advice. Did you mean HSR or LSR to metigate the issue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Vorsprung are releasing a upgrade for the Fit 4 damper, thats likely the route I would take.
    That sounds like a good plan. I really like their video. Since I can't upgrade my 34 to coil (I also like my bike to be light especially my front end).

I don't have any infor about Vorsprung Fit4 mod. Please let me know if you know anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That sounds like a good plan. I really like their video. Since I can't upgrade my 34 to coil (I also like my bike to be light especially my front end).

I don't have any infor about Vorsprung Fit4 mod. Please let me know if you know anything.
    They are working on it at the minute, not sure when it will come on the market but I'd think in the next month or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thank you for your insightful advice. Did you mean HSR or LSR to metigate the issue?
    There is only one rebound control on the 34. It is technically low speed, but it also affects the high speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update

I got a message from Craig on mtbr and called him.
    He apolized that he missed my email (He answered my previous questions. He didn't have to apolozie for it)

He told me that my new 2018 130mm air shaft installed by Brennan Auto might not be compatible with 2017 chasis. He went to Fox page and found out for me. It was compatible.

(I later called Fox and found out that 2017 damper for 120mm isn't compatible for 130mm)

I'm calling many Customer services since I'm servicing my bike. He's by far th best person that I talked to. I mean he's an owner of the ledandary company. He talked directly to me with his knowledge and experience.

I probably go with Avalanch route when I service my fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Update

I got a message from Craig on mtbr and called him.
    He apolized that he missed my email (He answered my previous questions. He didn't have to apolozie for it)

He told me that my new 2018 130mm air shaft installed by Brennan Auto might not be compatible with 2017 chasis. He went to Fox page and found out for me. It was compatible.

(I later called Fox and found out that 2017 damper for 120mm isn't compatible for 130mm)

I'm calling many Customer services since I'm servicing my bike. He's by far th best person that I talked to. I mean he's an owner of the ledandary company. He talked directly to me with his knowledge and experience.

I probably go with Avalanche route when I service my fork.
    Yes, the 120 mm damper cartridge might be limiting the travel of your converted 130 air shaft set-up. This means the best option for you right now is to put the 120 mm air shaft system back in the fork so the damper will not top out and possibly break. IĎm not sure how much over travel it has but typically it is very close to 10 mm.

"2018 34 26in and 27.5in and 29in 120 Max Travel F-S FIT4 Cart Assy Complete, E18, Black Ano"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just pulled the trigger. I'm gonna go full Avalanche front and back.

I'll put my detailed review at the end of Feb when I'm back from the long biz trip.

mtbr member
    Oh man you are going to be so stoked!!! My dad did it on his balance and it is just magic carpet ride. I did it to my dh bike. My next trail rig is getting it too. Yea your going to love it.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH
    Build in process 2017 Canfield Bro. Nimble 9

Elitest thrill junkie

I'll put my detailed review at the end of Feb when I'm back from the long biz trip.
    Makes the bike feel like it punches way above it's "weight class"...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

And REVIEW?
    Details ;-)

mtbr member
    Digging up this old thread. I have a light weight gf and she always needs her suspension custom tuned. The bike she is on now, SB-66c came with a fox 34. I put in the 2018 airshaft in it but it still seems to be a little over damped and to ramp up too quickly. The air shaft has two tokens in it that I still need to take out. It would be nice to hear how your avy 34 turned out.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Digging up this old thread. I have a light weight gf and she always needs her suspension custom tuned. The bike she is on now, SB-66c came with a fox 34. I put in the 2018 airshaft in it but it still seems to be a little over damped and to ramp up too quickly. The air shaft has two tokens in it that I still need to take out. It would be nice to hear how your avy 34 turned out.
    I suggest a vorsprung luftkappe for the best upgrade. What damper is it?
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Suspension servicing & tuning in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    The older CTD damper and I just had it rebuilt. She is an intermediate rider and we have only had one ride on the fork since I dropped in the new spring and my suspension guy rebuilt the damper. She mostly complains about the fork "bouncing" off obstacles on climbs that get her off her line. And the forks feels to ramp up faster then the Pike she used to be on. She is not great at lifting her front wheel, but can unweight it a bit and does get it over some stuff.

Not sure if the Luftkappe would work with the NA upgrade airspring for the old fork. I will have to check it out.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ahh ok no a luftkappe won't fit that. I would be checking for bushing friction, tyre pressure and possibly shock set up/saddle not far forward enough and its unweighting the front wheel too much on climbs
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Suspension servicing & tuning in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pull those volume spacers and drop pressure, possibly running too much rebound, also drop tire pressure. It sounds like she's not getting enough damping if the action is too fast, have you tried working with the intermediate setting on the damper?

EDIT: Oh, it's CTD ... well, Vorsprung makes a kit to upgrade it to work like a FIT4. If it was a Fit4, I'd get a Fractix, this is what I'm working on with my wife's fork.

Try to find a balance between the feel of the fork and the shock, esp if she likes how the rear suspension works.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)