Asheville-area Threading for Shocks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Asheville-area Threading for Shocks

I'm trying to re-purpose my wife's mid-90's Specialized Hard Rock. I purchased a Manitou shock with 1" steer tube (hard to find at times). However, after taking to LBS, the threads do not extend down far enough.

Would anyone know or recommend someone in Asheville area who could thread a steer tube? Tried a plumber to no avail....

Elitest thrill junkie
    You mean like a machine shop?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Coffee Drinker

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by appaholic View Post
    I'm trying to re-purpose my wife's mid-90's Specialized Hard Rock. I purchased a Manitou shock with 1" steer tube (hard to find at times). However, after taking to LBS, the threads do not extend down far enough.

Would anyone know or recommend someone in Asheville area who could thread a steer tube? Tried a plumber to no avail....
    the tool for that is old and not really used much anymore. Your best bet is going to be calling shops in the area that have been around a long time. Especially the ones that feel like it when you walk in the door. Maybe even the local co-op (The Bicycle Thrift Shop).

mtbr member
    I've walked into 3 local machine and none could help. Also visited and called 3 local plumbers with no luck...

mtbr member
    You need a 1"-24 die, you should be able to buy one online for $20 - $30, and the handle tool to use it for roughly the same. The roughly equivalent Park FTS-1 tool would cost more than the fork is probably worth, but many old school bike shops would have one gathering dust somewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    You need a 1"-24 die, you should be able to buy one online for $20 - $30, and the handle tool to use it for roughly the same. The roughly equivalent Park FTS-1 tool would cost more than the fork is probably worth, but many old school bike shops would have one gathering dust somewhere.
    Thanks so much! Yes, too much to justify for this fork but appreciate info so at least I know what to ask for at LBS.