Anyone ever used a Topeak shock pump?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ever used a Topeak shock pump?

I'm looking to get a new shock pump for my Talas fork and float rear shock. My Fox pump is a POS; it won't hold air very well, and the hose blew off the body recently. A friend managed to re-attach it and crimp down on the joint so that it works again, but I'm not too keen on using it. I have a Total Air pump as well, but it doesn't fit the Talas fork (it does work on the rear shock).

So I've got a couple Q's:
    1. Do the Topeak pump heads fit into the valves of Fox Forx?
    2. Are these pumps any good, or are they total crap?

Unfortunately, the topeak website is total crap. However, the DX pump looks like it might be ok. There's a similar one called the DXG pump. I'm not sure which is better. They've also got a novelty pump that is compact and will actually fit into your frame to substitute for a blown rear shock in an emergency. It's called the PropShock. The stupid thing about the propshock is that it lacks a guage, rendering it completely useless, imo. It's amazing; Topeak actually makes 2 or 3 other compact shock pumps that do not have pressure guages. Gee, I bet they sell really well. The only reason that anyone would bother to carry a shock-pump on the trail in the first place would be so that they could tweak their suspension set-up while they're riding. But without a guage, how the heck do you know what you've done? Idjits!

Anyway, thanks for your advice. My main goal is to get a replacement pump that isn't a POS, and that is compatible with Fox shocks (f and r).

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    I'm looking to get a new shock pump for my Talas fork and float rear shock. My Fox pump is a POS; it won't hold air very well, and the hose blew off the body recently. A friend managed to re-attach it and crimp down on the joint so that it works again, but I'm not too keen on using it. I have a Total Air pump as well, but it doesn't fit the Talas fork (it does work on the rear shock).

So I've got a couple Q's:
    1. Do the Topeak pump heads fit into the valves of Fox Forx?
    2. Are these pumps any good, or are they total crap?

Unfortunately, the topeak website is total crap. However, the DX pump looks like it might be ok. There's a similar one called the DXG pump. I'm not sure which is better. They've also got a novelty pump that is compact and will actually fit into your frame to substitute for a blown rear shock in an emergency. It's called the PropShock. The stupid thing about the propshock is that it lacks a guage, rendering it completely useless, imo. It's amazing; Topeak actually makes 2 or 3 other compact shock pumps that do not have pressure guages. Gee, I bet they sell really well. The only reason that anyone would bother to carry a shock-pump on the trail in the first place would be so that they could tweak their suspension set-up while they're riding. But without a guage, how the heck do you know what you've done? Idjits!

Anyway, thanks for your advice. My main goal is to get a replacement pump that isn't a POS, and that is compatible with Fox shocks (f and r).
    I'm wondering the same myself about the DXG.

I've been eyeing it for quite a long time. Once I pm'ed someone who has one and he's delighted with it.

However, the long barrel valve on the DXG could be a blessing or a curse, depending on your shock/fork and how the valve fits. It's perfect for my needs, though. In my experience, the short barrel valve found on the typical Zokes, Fox, Manitou, Progressive's to be more difficult to thread in and out than the long barrel found on the Wrenchforce Shock pump, which is amazing too.

Hoefully some users will chime in for first-hand use experience.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    I'm wondering the same myself about the DXG.

I've been eyeing it for quite a long time. Once I pm'ed someone who has one and he's delighted with it.

However, the long barrel valve on the DXG could be a blessing or a curse, depending on your shock/fork and how the valve fits. It's perfect for my needs, though. In my experience, the short barrel valve found on the typical Zokes, Fox, Manitou, Progressive's to be more difficult to thread in and out than the long barrel found on the Wrenchforce Shock pump, which is amazing too.

Hoefully some users will chime in for first-hand use experience.
    Well, the amazon link says that they have one for $25. I'll let you be the guinea pig, if you want.

Yeah, buying a shock pump online is a bit of a risk. I've tried a couple on my bikes that just didn't work. I think you're right about the long heads; they can be a problem. I'll look into the wrenchforce pump. Thanks for the reply

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    Well, the amazon link says that they have one for $25. I'll let you be the guinea pig, if you want.

Yeah, buying a shock pump online is a bit of a risk. I've tried a couple on my bikes that just didn't work. I think you're right about the long heads; they can be a problem. I'll look into the wrenchforce pump. Thanks for the reply
    LOL!!!

I was about to pull the trigger, but two things stopped me:
    1.- It ships in 3 to 5 weeks
    2.- It only ships to the US (I'm in Mexico)

I dunno... maybe the long heads would fit fine for your TALAS. Long head was best for me (and my Switchblade has a tight fit for the IFP valve found on 5th Air shocks).

But yeah, check fit first.
    Check my Site

No, that's not phonetic
    I have the DXG (the two links are to the same pump I think, just different color gauge faces). It is an excellent pump. Just superb. I own a lot of shock pumps and it is my favorite. Get one.

I cannot speak as to whether or not it works on Fox forks specifically, but it works well on all my other forks and shocks.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

I-S
    Magurified
    I have the DXG as my only shock pump. It works fine with my Magura Asgard forks and both my old Fox Float and current Float RC rear shocks. Lossless disconnection is a fantastic feature, and the pump has worked fine for over a year, and in that time has been taken on rides, left at home, chucked about and used quite a bit but works just great. I recommend it.

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys! I'm officially sold on the DXG. I'll pass on the amazon one, since it takes a month to deliver.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I found this pump to be hard to gauge. I replaced it with a low pressure Marzocchi pump that goes to 200. I'm only 160lbs, so this will never be an issue and it reads more accurately imo.

mtbr member
    Ok, so the pump came in yesterday from speedgoat. I've got to say, it's pretty darn nice. I never thought that I'd get excited about a shock pump, but this thing is really cool. It's compact, but really solidly built. I've tested it on my fork and shock, and it works well. It's great to have a pump that holds air, and that doesn't leak any out when you remove the hose from the schrader valve. It's very easy to fine-tune the pressure. This pump is definitely not a piece of crap. Yay!

Warp, you gotta get one of these!

Members who have read this thread: 0