Any reviews of the Lyrik Select and Select + forks?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    434

    Any reviews of the Lyrik Select and Select + forks?

    Since the HSC is not adjustable, does anyone know if the stock tune works well for certain rider weights/styles?

    Or to ask another way, what is the stock tune for the Select forks equivalent to when compared to the settings on the Lyrik Ultimate?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    481
    I found my Lyrik Select had no support from the damper so I had to run quite high pressure and 4 tokens to stop it bottoming. Haven't ridden an Ultimate fork.

    I've now changed the damper to an Avy damper so all bets are off comparing it to a standard Lyrik of any kind.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    The base tune in the RC damper is the same as an ultimate in the hardest HSC setting. Although that is more of an indication that the RC2 tune is very soft rather than the RC is hard!

    Most average weight riders are fine with the stock tune, its most likely aggressive riders that will want it tuned for better support
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    Most average weight riders are fine with the stock tune, its most likely aggressive riders that will want it tuned for better support
    This is close to a question I've had kicking around for a while.

    I've had Charger 1 (soft rebound tune) and Charger 2 RCT3 Lyriks (2019 Debonair spring). I've ordered a bike (eMTB) that comes with a 2.1 RC2.

    I'm 50 years old but getting age-category enduro podiums - not the most aggressive in terms of my inputs but the terrain I race over is fully gnarly (Scottish enduros + big alpine descents) and I still hit big speeds over that terrain. Both RCT3s have worked well for me. I'm 80kg. Full use of travel on the Charger 2 RCT3 (160mm) is rare IME but the grip, chassis control and comfort have been impeccable.

    I've seen many comments on the 2.1 Charger RC2 that its HSC is weak (too weak) compared to Charger 2 RC2. I've not seen critique on how RC2 compares to RCT3 and how that might have changed across generations.

    Specifically...

    1. Is there an HSC setting on a RC2v2 would be equivalent to the HSC behaviour on my RCT3v2?

    2. Is there range of adjustment on a RC2v2 that would potentially let me access more travel more often than with the RCT3v2?

    3. Is the range of adjustment on a RC2v2.1 going to overlap at all with the RC2v2 and might that overlap coincide with how Q2 advises I might set up an RC2v2?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    Firstly, “using full travel” isn’t an indicator or whether it is working well or not so I would avoid making changes with that as the only goal. I find that as you refine your set up you either a) use your travel more efficiently and never feel like you need more, or b) you are able to ride faster/harder and start using more travel as a side effect

    But to answer the questions-

    1. The middle setting of rc2v2.0 is the same as the base tune of a rct3v2 (which is the same as RC)

    2. Refer to my first comment, but this really comes down to the whole fork including oil condition, bushing friction, tokens and spring pressure and hardly ever has 1 single reason, and the reasons they don’t can be counterintuitive. Although I would start with your lsc open and no tokens then bracket air pressure up and down followed by hsc to find the best feel and ride that for a while before making the next change

    3. Yes they do overlap, the 3 hardest settings of rc2v2.1 are the same as the 3 softest of rc2v2.0

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    Firstly, “using full travel” isn’t an indicator or whether it is working well or not so I would avoid making changes with that as the only goal. I find that as you refine your set up you either a) use your travel more efficiently and never feel like you need more, or b) you are able to ride faster/harder and start using more travel as a side effect
    Agreed. I'm only viewing use of travel as an indicator of scope that may or may not yield a better overall compromise. I've been getting occasional podium results in enduros this year. Looking for new things to try.

    1. The middle setting of rc2v2.0 is the same as the base tune of a rct3v2 (which is the same as RC)
    That's super useful to know. For where I've been, I've never used the pedal and lockout modes so an RC would be functionally equivalent to RCT3 and would be the same as an RC2v2 (HSC kept in the middle)

    2. the whole fork including oil condition, bushing friction, tokens and spring pressure... no tokens then bracket air pressure up and down followed by hsc to find the best feel and ride that for a while before making the next change
    I'm just wondering about lifting the RC2v2.1 damper into the RCT3v2 chassis. I can start with my baseline for pressures and tokens on the known chassis.

    3. Yes they do overlap, the 3 hardest settings of rc2v2.1 are the same as the 3 softest of rc2v2.0
    So that supposes that full hard on the RC2v2.1 would be closest equivalent to what I already have. I'll not treat that as 100% but it gives a starting point. Anything I'm likely to try is reversible to get back to where I've been this season.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    434
    So... it sounds like the Select models are still only ideal for those who are above average in weight/riding aggressiveness since the default HSC is on the high end of the Ultimate setttings.

    Does anyone lightweight with the Select model Lyrik think it's still feels plush and not harsh in general? Or that too high of an HSC stops the fork from effectively taking hard hits?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    So... it sounds like the Select models are still only ideal for those who are above average in weight/riding aggressiveness since the default HSC is on the high end of the Ultimate setttings.

    Does anyone lightweight with the Select model Lyrik think it's still feels plush and not harsh in general? Or that too high of an HSC stops the fork from effectively taking hard hits?
    I think you have that backwards. They suit less aggressive riders.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    Yeah its the other way around, the Ultimate range is so soft that the "fixed" damping of the select is still within a useable range. The LS adjuster opens super wide too so you've got very light damping when that is open too.
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailbildr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    If you like adjusters that work, get the RCT3 but I've found our riders don't like the stock HSC setting (too stiff). I have just spend a bunch of time on a Lyrik Select+ (RC) and the LSC adjuster does nothing (rider feel, not dyno-measured). I ran it full open then full closed back to back on three rides in two different places and couldn't tell a difference. It was fast/flowy and rocky/rooty on the rides.

    With the previous versions of the RCT3 and RC dampers, I had the same issues. I switched to MRP Ribbon forks to get some better product (for me). Another great option is black-coated Fox 34 o r 36 with the RC2 damper.

    mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

    trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    The base tune in the RC damper is the same as an ultimate in the hardest HSC setting. Although that is more of an indication that the RC2 tune is very soft rather than the RC is hard!

    Most average weight riders are fine with the stock tune, its most likely aggressive riders that will want it tuned for better support
    Is this based on dyno results or shim stacks?

    If you do have the shim stacks would you mind posting a comparison of both?

    Ive tried both forks and actually really enjoyed the select + until a small revalve of the RC2. But would like to compare what ive don't to the std settings of the select +.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    31
    I'm seeing the 2020 Lyrik Select and the 2020 Yari selling for the same/similar price at some retailers.

    Given this consideration, is the performance of the Lyrik Select that similar to the Yari and motion control damper?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by sean44 View Post
    Is this based on dyno results or shim stacks?

    If you do have the shim stacks would you mind posting a comparison of both?

    Ive tried both forks and actually really enjoyed the select + until a small revalve of the RC2. But would like to compare what ive don't to the std settings of the select +.
    This is from dyno testing, the actual shims are different as the RC2 uses 3 shims with a spring adding preload whereas the RC has them preloaded with a ring shim.
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    This is from dyno testing, the actual shims are different as the RC2 uses 3 shims with a spring adding preload whereas the RC has them preloaded with a ring shim.
    Interesting. Time for some more playing with the stacks then to see what works.

Similar Threads

  1. Lyrik ultimate vs select?
    By Hbnel5on in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2019, 05:44 AM
  2. 2020 Lyrik Select+ LSC?
    By ribbs76 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2019, 05:56 PM
  3. Save 20% off Select Forks and Dropper Posts at Arts Cyclery
    By ljsmith in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2017, 10:10 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 02:25 AM
  5. Forks, Forks, Forks, Forks, Forks, Forks
    By Ben12321 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Members who have read this thread: 102

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.