Any love for the Formula Selva R?- Mtbr.com
    Wally on Wheels

Any love for the Formula Selva R?

I've been looking into fork options for a Starling Swoop build I'm planning for the far future and I came across the Selva R. First off it looks properly stunning but technologically I'm really keen on the concept of the 2 air system. Has anyone managed to get any hours on one of these or has any opinions? There doesnt seem to be much noise about them on the interwebs and I've never come across anyone riding one in person, is there something I don't know about these that means they need avoiding?? Thanks for any thoughts

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    They have some very interesting features but don't seem common enough for there to be much info arounf on them

Their interchangeable compression cartridges is a really neat idea, plus they incorporate a lot of friction-reduction which is cool too
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

Hitching a ride
    They never had available what I wanted when I wanted to buy it so I bought other brands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    160mm max travel for 29er was a limiter for myself.
    Hoping Formula is willing to listen to Porter and MOJO for advice.
    That purple is the best “special” fork colour going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    On the limited reviews it seems be a nice fork.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DOOM
    I bought what was supposed to be a Selva R on Pinkbike but turned out to be a Selva S (no dual air but CTS and other similar bits).

I kept it and I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Selva - really nice ride, planted and plush at the same time...I actually slightly prefer it over my Diamond.

IIRC you can drop in a kit to upgrade an R to an S and either to coil and back.

I have been on lots of forks over the years and if you find one they are definitely worth it .

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Like other non fox/Rockshox it suffers for a lack of pink bike review. When dropping $1k on a fork, nobody wants to be a guinea pig.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackem View Post
    Like other non fox/Rockshox it suffers for a lack of pink bike review. When dropping $1k on a fork, nobody wants to be a guinea pig.
    But Pinkbike, Vital etc hardly constitute impartial reviews....

DOOM
    The usual cycle is raving/raging on various sites which makes getting a sense of the real for real is difficult.

I mean, if RadBiker33 says that product X shreds on a forum that is a data point but not a definitive one since one has no way of knowing the background or the points of comparison.

A media organization is in a tough spot as on one hand it is a great way to spread information but on the other hand biting the hand(s) that feed you in what is itself a marketplace of people selling the same thing (a take, a review, a brand) is tough I would imagine.

Now, I can see straying outside of RS/Fox as being seen as a gamble but by the same token the most interesting ideas are likely to come from outside of this sphere as those two are going to be about maintaining what they have in terms of the market.

That happens all the time right?

Smaller companies are innovative because what else can they play to as a strength? If you suck as a little dude/dudette you are roadkill.

A larger company is less nimble because they can rely upon being large and more or less in charge so that tends toward maintaining that position or expanding it at the expense of a small group of key rivals.

Navel gazing on my part I guess but it comes down to whether someone is or is not adverse to seeing what is outside the Fox/RS tent and there isn't a right or wrong answer there but rather what makes sense or doesn't make sense for each person.