Air shaft size for fox 36 ebike fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Air shaft size for fox 36 ebike fork

Hi I just got a new sir shaft for my fox 36 fork but when I went to install it I realized the air piston diameter is larger than the fork stanchion. this is a fox ebike rated fork. looks like they might have beefed up 5he stanchion wall thickness?

anybody familiar with this and can tell me what size sir shaft will fit? 34mm maybe? glad I DT idnt purchase the luftkappe I was gonna get for this fork yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You will find it uses a 34mm air spring assembly, 160mm max travel, however you can go down in travel. The green spacers are the first clue.

Always punch in your 4 digit code before you delve inside

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post
    You will find it uses a 34mm air spring assembly, 160mm max travel, however you can go down in travel. The green spacers are the first clue.

thanks for the info. never tried inputting my fork code. gonna do it tonight!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post

Thatís kind of interesting. Doesnít matter to me cause I am on RS but I have a curiosity question going on now (I know I know it killed the cat, but Iím not a cat). For all the crown creak complaints on the 36 (thatís probably over exaggerated but itís the internet you know), would those people be better off buying a 36 ďeĒ CSU and air spring assembly? I think this would make sense since the biggest difference between the 36 and Lyrik is that RS kept a 35mm stanchion when jumping to 180 travel (vs the pike) and because of that they had to make the stanchions thicker even all the way to the crown (proven by the grey tokens vs orange). Maybe something for aggressive fox 36 riders to consider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill View Post
    Thatís kind of interesting. Doesnít matter to me cause I am on RS but I have a curiosity question going on now (I know I know it killed the cat, but Iím not a cat). For all the crown creak complaints on the 36 (thatís probably over exaggerated but itís the internet you know), would those people be better off buying a 36 ďeĒ CSU and air spring assembly? I think this would make sense since the biggest difference between the 36 and Lyrik is that RS kept a 35mm stanchion when jumping to 180 travel (vs the pike) and because of that they had to make the stanchions thicker even all the way to the crown (proven by the grey tokens vs orange). Maybe something for aggressive fox 36 riders to consider.
    Good question, I have 3x 36's in my garage, all 29'ers.

Fit4 Factory 36, Luftkappe, Bushings done, Fractive tune (160mm)
    FitGrip Rhythm 36 with Smashpot coil (170mm)
    E-bike 36 Grip2, stock (160mm)

the rhythm and e-bike forks feel marginally stiffer (both have thicker stanchion and heavier lowers) and as a bigger lad (100kg) I can definitely appreciate the added stiffness.

What is interesting though, is all 3 have had the dreaded CSU creak, but after 2-3 months it goes away for good.

The even more interesting part, is the ebike 36 feels the best to me. However I feel the weight of the ebike is the big part of the suspension feel. I have not had the chance to swap forks between the bikes as of yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    so does this also mean a 36 e rated fork wont fit the grip 2 damper upgrade?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post
    It fits, My 36 Ebike fork has a grip2 damper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post
    Does it mean that a 34 GRIP2 is possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I donít want to go on record saying it will. But all signs point to yes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Nope that is not possible.

The top cap threads are a different size, the damper is physically too long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi, is there an update? has anyone were able to install Luftkappe in 36 e-bike version?

will Luftkappe 34mm shaft fit (and works) in Fox 36 ebike edition ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    The threads on the stanchions for the e36 are the same as the regular 36. The damper and air topcap are the same for all 36s. only the ID of the stanchions change, hence 34 air shafts

Quote Originally Posted by neworiginalebiker View Post
    Haven't tried it, but I don't see why not?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neworiginalebiker View Post
    Hi, is there an update? has anyone were able to install Luftkappe in 36 e-bike version?

My understanding is that the 36 E-Bike, 36 Rhythm and Marz Z1 all use the same air shaft kit, which is different than the 34 version and needs to be ordered directly from Fox in most cases. This is what I had to do for my Marzocchi Z1. Because of this, Vorsprung doesn't make a Luftkappe (yet) that will fit these forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    My understanding is that the 36 E-Bike, 36 Rhythm and Marz Z1 all use the same air shaft kit, which is different than the 34 version and needs to be ordered directly from Fox in most cases. This is what I had to do for my Marzocchi Z1. Because of this, Vorsprung doesn't make a Luftkappe (yet) that will fit these forks.
    Fox e36 is not the same. It has an even thicker stanchion and uses a 34 air shaft (1.214 bore). Rythym36 & Z1 are the same however (1.275 bore).