Advice please on my new forks???- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Advice please on my new forks???

Hi,

I have just bought a Specialized Hardrock Sport 06 which comes with RST Gilla Plus-T6, 100mm, preload adjust, 30mm Cr-Mo stanchions, coil/MCU spring forks.

My problem is they seem a bit soft and springy. I have turned the adjusters on the top of them onto full but they still seem too soft. As they are brand new, will they stiffen up with use or is this just how these forks will be? Am I doing anything wrong or is there something I can do to make them much stiffer with less travel?

If this is how the forsk are, then I think I would like much stiffer forks with less travel. Can anyone reccomend any good replacements? Nothing to expensive but nothing cheap and nasty.

Many thanks and any advice would be much appreciated.

Jul 2006
    i'm not sure but i bought my Hardrock early in the 2006 Season and my RST is a piece of crap and way too stiff. the only time it moves is off small jumps or hard accleration....

i'm looking towards the Rockshox J2 or Manitou Axel Super or Rockshox J3 for softness

Freshly Fujified

Here's a nice option

First off, the fork you have, like all of the MCU/coil forks is not going to be a great performer. In terms of a replacement, if you want to go inexpensive, this is a very good buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

My other recommendation is a Marzocchi MX Comp with ETA, 105 mm.

I would not lower the travel on the bike. the bike is made for a 100 mm fork. A better fork will make a difference, less travel won't.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Jul 2006
    Hey Bob what kinda fork do you reccomend for under 150? 100?

Do you know much about Rockshox judy 2006 series J2/J3/J4?

Freshly Fujified

Tough call

Quote Originally Posted by JWayne
    Hey Bob what kinda fork do you reccomend for under 150? 100?

Do you know much about Rockshox judy 2006 series J2/J3/J4?
    You're going to find that under the $200 mark, you're really looking at some marginal forks. As for the J series forks, their reputation in the past is pretty bad. It looks like they've been given new life in the J series, as some of the reviews are good, but I'm skeptical. I would say if you go with a J series fork, be sure to go with the J2, J3 or J4 as you mentioned. It's not going to be a very spohisticated damping system, mind you, but if you must go this route (i.e. cheap fork) then be sure it's dual coil as are the three you mentioned.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0