Advice! Clunky Fox Float RL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Advice! Clunky Fox Float RL

I just noticed that my 2003 Stumpy FSR has a noticeable clunk and a notchy feel in the initial 10% of shock movement after which it feels smooth again.
    I just rebulit the rear triangle a few rides ago and i really dont remember it feeling this way before that or in the few rides since.
    I was planning on either replacing it with a cloud nine or getting the fox PUSH'd over the winter before this came up, and am a bit worried about riding it the way it is now.
    My riding season is nearing the end very soon but i would still like to get as many rides in as possible.
    I am a heavier rider (230ish), any worries about doing serious damage or should i just ride it out for the next few weeks?

mtbr member
    No Advice?
    How about this? If you were gonna do one or the other (PUSH the RL or buy a Cloud Nine) Which would you do and why?
    Thanks for any help on this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Have you checked the shock eyelet bushings and alloy reducers for play? are you sure that the clunk is coming from the shock itself and not something to do with the frame/pivots etc? these frames are notorious for going wearing lower eyelet bushings quickly.

mtbr member
    Yes the bushings were replaced when the rear triangle was done.
    It is the shock itself, its like it has a narrow band where the resistance changes. Imagine putting pressure on the shock and about 5mm into the stroke it kinda "slips" for a short distance then regains its former level of resistance. Weird.

mtbr member
    bump it up!
    I gotta do something soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you service the shock also? I would let the air out and check for a bad damper. I guess the RL has very high pressure in it for the lockout to function correctly. Cycle it with no air and see if there is a dead spot in the damper. Keep the damper upright when checking. I had a vanilla coil that had air in it or a dead spot. I ran it upside down so the air in the damper would be opposite the piston. It just coverd up a problem but it got me through.

mtbr member
    shock has not been serviced yet, it has been holding air very well and this problem just became noticeable. I was hoping to make into december before i sent it off to push or got a new one.
    I have let out the air and cycled it, it is not noticeable when there is little/no pressure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had the same problem with my 04 Float RL, and just like you, I didn't get any responses. My fox made a clunking noise during its initial rebound and compression cycle. The noise is actually bad stiction, which resonates through the entire frame and makes a clunking type noise. I know sevral DHX and RP3 owners had the same issue last year. For me it got so bad that it sounded like marbles jumping around in the frame. I was able to duplicate the noise by tip-toeing on the pedals as well.

I was about to replace the shock with a new RP3, but decided to send it off to PUSH instead. I made it clear to them that if the rebuild and factory tuning kit wouldn't fix the clunking, I don't want it back, but would rather purchase a new RP3 from them instead. I got the shock back in 3 days without the noise.

Happy ending?

Not exactly, after 3 rides the clunking is back but not nearly as loud as before. It only makes the noise during big hits, which I can live with ONLY becuase the shock performs so damn well with the PUSH mod.

What should you do?

Well in retrospect I would have replaced the shock from the start. The cloud 9 shock isn't nearly as sophisticated as the RP3, but its much cheaper. I would start looking on ebay for a slightly used fox OR send it to push and hope for the best.

hope this helps, good luck!

Sep 2005
    I think what you have there is air in your damper. The notchy feel is the piston travelling through the air (no oil), then when the piston gets to the oil, it feels smooth for the rest of the stroke. Mine did the same (Float RC). I faced the same decision, Push or Cloud 9. I went with the cloud 9 because I'm fed up with sending Fox shocks in for service. Let me tell you, on my bike, Rocky Mountain Element T.O., the Cloud 9 blows the Fox away. Smooth, controlled travel, semi-lockout feature, light and above all USER SERVICABLE!

I sent my Float in to be repaired and will sell it as soon as it comes back.

mtbr member
    I solved the problem by selling the bike! I made it clear to the buyer that shock needed a rebuild. I think MJ51 hit the nail on the head, it makes perfect sense with regards to the way the shock feels. It is not an audible clunk. The fact of the matter is i believe i am just too heavy for my 03 Stumpjumper (around 240 with gear). I dont want to be having continous problems with the rear suspension/triangle. I demo'd a brand new 2004 Giant VT3 and was very happy with it. It pedals much better IMO and the cost differential was about the same as replacing a few of the parts on the Stumpy and rebuilding the shock. It also has a plusher ride. I am switching over my new REBA from the stumpy and the buyer is getting the new Manitou Black Comp that is too soft for me.
    The wife aint happy, but i sure am!
    Thanks all.

Members who have read this thread: 0