Adjusting Compression of Fox RP23- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Adjusting Compression of Fox RP23

This may be a stupid question, but I have searched around and haven't found much info on compression adjustment of this shock. I am looking to buy an 09 for my Stumpy (got the right size and everything so don't worry about that). All of the descriptions read something like "Medium Rebound, High Compression" or "High Rebound, Medium Compression". Is this just the factory setting? I know the rebound is easily adjusted but what about the compression? I always assumed compression was adjusted through air pressure in the shock but this doesn't seem to be the case. Also, does high compression mean more pressure needed to compress and vice versa? Thanks for helping me out. -Chuck
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    There are no compression adjustments. Unless you consider the firmness of the ProPedal as compression adjustment. I don't.

When you adjust air pressures, you're adjusting the spring rate. More pressure makes the stock stiffer, like more compression damping, but it also decreases the sag, and increases the rebound speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC to whining spammer
    Don't let the nose of your saddle hit you in the @#!#X on the way out.

Oct 2005
    The Propedal is a low speed compression adjust. It has three settings, and an on/off control. While there is a slight threshold, it's not as much of a lock as the old Manitou Swingers, 5th, and Curnutt shocks. It's pretty much an LSC control.

You also likely have a graphic on the shock talking about "tune". That just means the baseline Fox made that shock with, in terms of light, medium, or heavy damping. The range of the Propedal is within whatever range the shock was made more.

High Compression means that the shock is more resistant to inputs that want to compress the shock.

Air pressure only adjusts the preload, meaning it's adjusting the shock to hold up your weight.

The ratings there mean that the shock has been tuned with a medium rebound damping setting (but you still have a rebound control that allows a range of adjustment from fast to slow), and it's got High compression tune, meaning the baseline compression damping setting is high.

mtbr member
    So if I pick a high compression, am I stuck with it? What if it is too harsh and I want it more responsive? Can running it full open solve this problem? I would probably like a medium compression and adjust using propedal accordingly, but I will snatch up the first 7.785x2.0 I find at a good price.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Like what J Chicken said, the RP23 comes with preset "tune" settings done at the factory.... You have to look at the stickers at the side that shows the "compression tune" and "Rebound Tune".... Each "tune" has 3 bars, with the one highlighted (solid color) being the set "tune".....

I think it would be better to get the minimum tune for the shock you wanna get.... This way when u run full open (propedal off mode), you get minimum compression damping....
    The "tune" setting can be changed on request but it needs to be done by Fox or some authorized agent....

Hope that helps~
    Mas
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The compression tune depends a lot on your bike's leverage ratio and what valving the frame was designed for. Frames with high leverage ratios are generally better off with high compression tune so they don't blow through their travel. You can usually call the frame maker and find out what shock tune will suit the leverage ratio best.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

a.m
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi!

There is possible to change the shocks compression, but it is not possible to do by yourself.

Here in Norway, it can be done. I make my shop send in the the shock and for a price, wich i do not know of, they will change the comression and rebound.

Members who have read this thread: 0