80 mm forks specific frames- Mtbr.com
    the catalan connection

80 mm forks specific frames

Letīs say I want a new frame and fit it with a 100 mm fork.But the manufacturer says is designed for 80 mm forks. Well, letīs say then that i adjust the fork with about a 20% sag(which is recomended anyway) and..voilā ! 80 mm when me on the bike.Is this correct?

Dec 2003

Steering will change

Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    Letīs say I want a new frame and fit it with a 100 mm fork.But the manufacturer says is designed for 80 mm forks. Well, letīs say then that i adjust the fork with about a 20% sag(which is recomended anyway) and..voilā ! 80 mm when me on the bike.Is this correct?
    No. If the frame was designed for an 80mm fork, then the sag was also taken into consideration. Many manufacturers will allow a 100mm fork on a bike designed for 80mm.

I have a FS bike designed for an 80mm fork. I currently run a 105mm Marzocchi fork....with the bike mfgr. blessing. I prefer the less twitchy ride I get with the longer fork.

Jan 2004
    WarrGuru: why do you get a less twitchy ride? Seems like added height to front end (I think fork recommendations have to do with axle to crown distance as much or more than travel) would move weight to rear making bike more twitchy on climbs anyway. Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    WarrGuru: why do you get a less twitchy ride? Seems like added height to front end (I think fork recommendations have to do with axle to crown distance as much or more than travel) would move weight to rear making bike more twitchy on climbs anyway. Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks
    taller fork = slacker angles = less twitchy-ness

Jan 2004
    I see the light. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would not worry about 20mm. Ten+ years ago most bike came with rigid forks and were in no way compensated for taller suspension forks. Adding a suspension fork to most frames from that time easily raised the front of the bike an inch or more (1"=25.4mm). I did that with several bikes and never had any poor handling problems. And as Warrguru said, most newer frames are ok with 100mm forks. My 2001 Ibis Ripley is designed for an 80mm fork but it says right in the manual that 100mm is also fine.