80 mm fork... best of class?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

80 mm fork... best of class?

I've got a SID World Cup that works very well, but it feels very flexy to me. I'm 155 lbs, so its not like I'm too heavy.

I need suggestions for my next fork. What are the best 80mm offerings out there?
    edit: this is for my do-everything hardtail, that needs to be raceable (read: light)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Try a search, it has been discussed about 100 times.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    I've got a SID World Cup that works very well, but it feels very flexy to me. I'm 155 lbs, so its not like I'm too heavy.

I need suggestions for my next fork. What are the best 80mm offerings out there?
    edit: this is for my do-everything hardtail, that needs to be raceable (read: light)

The Fox F-80 RLT is probably the most popular shock at the expert level. They tend to be pricey. You would be lucky to find just the F-80 for $300 new-takeoff. I think the Skareb might be a decent alternative. One of the online stores has been selling it for $150 without a lockout which is a bargain. I think both of these shocks would be better than the SID.

Sep 2005
    fox or rockshox Reba. the Reba is better value and an excellent fork.

the jury is still out on the manitou R7, but it's another contender.

Last edited by shiny_car; 11-22-2005 at 02:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Cost is not a primary concern...

If i wanted someone to tell me to "do a search" i wouldn't have asked, smartass.
    I'm especially curious about the R7...

I've heard the skareb is very flexy and that's not the direction i'd like to go. Stiffer than the SID, Disc brakes, and light are my primary search criteria. Obviously, I'd like it to be a good performing fork.

I was wondering too about the fox FX forks as well... Anyone on an '06 model have any feedback?

Oct 2004

white bros....

i have an xc.8 and as far as i'm concerned it is excellent. 3.2 lbs, which may be a bit heavier than the others but no flex at all and very solid. i weigh 200 and i've beat on it all summer with nary a whimper from it. it is pricey, 600 plus, but it's a sweet fork.

Sep 2005
    I'm especially curious about the R7...

I've heard the skareb is very flexy and that's not the direction i'd like to go. Stiffer than the SID, Disc brakes, and light are my primary search criteria. Obviously, I'd like it to be a good performing fork.
    i've had a couple Skareb's on my HTs, one a 'comp' and another a 'platinum' series. they are pretty good forks, and the R7 should only be better, particularly in stiffness with the new thicker stanchion tubes.

i found setting up my platinum a bit tricky in terms of getting all the pressures and settings 'right' to suit my riding style - i'm 155lbs and do recreational XC. when i switched to the Reba, i was hugely impressed. setting up was a cinch and performance straight out of the box excellent. for me, i can not ask for more and am extremely happy; whilst i haven't tried a Fox80, i don't think i'd get value out of spending more. oh, my Reba is a 'U-turn' model, so adjustable for travel. whilst i don't make adjustments on the track, i wanted a fork i could transfer to a new frame/bike in the future; i foresee moving to a FS bike soonish, so being able to dial out from 85mm to ~100mm will be a boon.

i researched quite a bit amongst these forums and others, and concluded the either the Reba or Fox80 were for me. with more than just a few stories of leaky Fox seals, i chose the Reba, and don't regret it one bit. having had Manitou forks before, and not being hugely impressed with the SPV damping system, i decided against the R7.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thx for the reply.

The r7 features manitou's new Snap Valve SPV which is of particular interest to me... the old complaint w/ SPV is it took too much force to activate teh fork, leaving it too firm to respond to small stutter-type bumps. Is the SnapValve much improved in terms of small bump compliance?

banned
    Apr 2004

New Sid Race or RLT80

Thx for the reply.

The r7 features manitou's new Snap Valve SPV which is of particular interest to me... the old complaint w/ SPV is it took too much force to activate teh fork, leaving it too firm to respond to small stutter-type bumps. Is the SnapValve much improved in terms of small bump compliance?
    IMO are both good choices,

As you know Sid, a little flexy on the down hill but real light and not mushy on the climbs.

The RLT 80 a little heavier, stiffer, a tad bit mushier up hill a lot plusher down hill, yet still raceable.

I have both forks but if I had only one bike, HT or FS either way I'd be sporting a RLT 80.

Transplant

Come on

How can no one even recommend the Marathon Race at all? One of my favorite forks for racing. Its 80mm and has the Doppio Air system. If you had said money was a factor then maybe I would stay away from recommending it but read some reviews and you will see this is one of the best race XC forks hands down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Try a search, it has been discussed about 100 times.
    What is the point of doing a search on something that changes EVERY YEAR?

Shocks are not a product in stasis, so why would one go back and look at old advice pertaining to them? I see this "advice" on numerous threads, and am amazed at the ignorance displayed in saying this, no offense intended.

jrm
    mtbr member

I really liked

my 03' Fox vanilla set @ 80mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    What is the point of doing a search on something that changes EVERY YEAR?

Shocks are not a product in stasis, so why would one go back and look at old advice pertaining to them? I see this "advice" on numerous threads, and am amazed at the ignorance displayed in saying this, no offense intended.
    Try again, this same thread pops up about once a week, so information is rehashed every week, not once a year. There are about 5 threads asking about the new Manitou R7 in the past month, and at least 10 threads in the last three months asking about the the Fox, Sid, Marz Race, and Skareb. So old advice, not even close.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Lazy People Suck

If cost is not a concern

The Cannondale Fatty Ultra with the new Magura CCS cartridge in it. 2.8 lbs and nothing remotely as stiff in its class. I recently installed the CCS cartridge in my Fatty UItra on my Scalpel and the difference is very noticeable. It really makes the Fatty a truly adjustable well damped fork.

Of course, you will have to buy a new frame
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Now with 3 more inches!
    Good deals online on the Marathon Race 05. Not the lightest, but a real fork.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I'm in at 220 and use the Reba SL on my SS 29er. I'm pleasanly suprised by how well it works. No issues and quite stiff. My comparison shock is on my other bike is a Fox RLC at 100mm.
    Don't harsh my mello

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Not the lightest, but a real fork.
    I would definetley second that. Its not the SID World Cup SE but man it will last a hell of a lot longer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Try again, this same thread pops up about once a week, so information is rehashed every week, not once a year. There are about 5 threads asking about the new Manitou R7 in the past month, and at least 10 threads in the last three months asking about the the Fox, Sid, Marz Race, and Skareb. So old advice, not even close.
    Why do you even bother posting?
    EVERYTHING has been discussed in the past - so what?

What''s the matter with wanting fresh opinions?
    Isn't that what the forums are for?
    or wait - maybe i should do a search to find out if that has been discussed before.

Members who have read this thread: 0