66rc2x has me stunped???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

66rc2x has me stumped??

Ok, so I've been riding this fork for about two months and have about 9 Whistler days on it so far (lots of riding) and I can't seem to find the "sweet" spot on this fork's settings. I really played with it this weekend and it still seems to have sticky seals at the top of it's travel. It has loosened up quite abit but it should be butter by now. I had it feeling nice with with barely any air in the caps but it dove too much and used it's travel too eagerly. So I put in 2 more pumps of air and it's got the proper sag, but the plushness (pillowy) effect is lost more or less. I made some headway by leaving the bottom compression knob 1 turn in and the top compression about 3 turns in, but it still isn't "there". I took it off the Clownshoes drop (10 footer) and it blasted through it's travel without alot of control on the hit. I weigh 220 and ride hard and fast. I know there is a sweet spot with this fork, but I can't seem to find the setting for the whole mountain. Plush as hell but able to suck up the hard hits is my goal.
    I'm going to change the oil and hope that opens it up. The seals are still so damn sticky though. Has me worried. Don't get me wrong. The fork is really nice, but I know it can be nicer. Anyone feeling the same way?
    Last edited by Largextracheese; 07-05-2006 at 11:26 PM. Reason: misspelled

not so super...
    If it doesn't loosen up for you call Zocchi.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Adjust oil height!

As much as I hate sounding like Jayem, what you're describing sounds like
    there isn't enough oil in the legs.

More oil (smaller oil height) = more progressive travel
    Less oil (larger oil height) = more linear travel

More specific information should be in your manual. If not, google it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

hmm..

Yeah, I know about the oil height thing. I've had many marzocchi's. I'll definitely raise it when I change the oil. Maybe that'll be my salvation. It really seems to me that the air cap system for sag is alittle too sensitive. It really firms up the fork. It's either way into it's travel and plush with no air and too firm with alittle air. I'll try the oil thing.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by Largextracheese
    Yeah, I know about the oil height thing. I've had many marzocchi's. I'll definitely raise it when I change the oil. Maybe that'll be my salvation. It really seems to me that the air cap system for sag is alittle too sensitive. It really firms up the fork. It's either way into it's travel and plush with no air and too firm with alittle air. I'll try the oil thing.
    Apparently early batch 66s had badly sized bushings, maybe you're one of the unfortunate owners. You can notify Marzocchi and they will warranty them, or you can slowly break them in.

But first, I would change the oil and adjust the levels. Fresh oil will allow you to better control your compression stroke, since there is no debree there to throw you off.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

maybe..

I do notice if I turn the fork while rolling slowly almost at a 90 degree angle it feels "notchy".
    I've been wondering about that bushing thing as well.

FM
    mtbr member
    I do notice if I turn the fork while rolling slowly almost at a 90 degree angle it feels "notchy".
    I've been wondering about that bushing thing as well.
    Hey XLC!

I think I saw your bike on the back of a truck coming back from whistler tuesday night. red bighit?

Anyways, mine was incredibly sticky first ride but it loosened up quickly. I changed the oil before going up to whistler and since then it's been making a knocking sound at the bottom of it's stroke. Not good, but the fork feels fine otherwise,... I called marz and they said the oil height might be too low, rather than using the 200ml per side, the suggested 60mm from the top with fork fully compressed, no springs.

I agree on the air pre-load, a little goes a long way. at 175lbs I'm trying to avoid it.

do you notice much difference with the compression settings? I can't say I do, but the fork feels great so I don't care much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hey mang!

Sorry I missed ya up there. I saw EB but I was having tire/tube/rim problems for most of Saturday so I didn't get to ride with him. I kept a look out but didn't see ya. Yeah, that was probably my Bighit on a Toyota pickup. I can say that the compression knobs do work but I get the best plushness outta only 1 or 2 clicks. I'd say your "clunk is definitely oil height. Mine doesn't clunk, but it sure blows through the travel. This made me think that I needed more compression, but it takes the plushness away. Driving me nuts. It's not feeling bad, but I've felt other triple 8's that are so much more buttery. I know it is attainable, but man it's elusive. How did Whistler treat you? I ate sh*t on Schleyer pretty good and also on Crack addict. It was the last run of the day and I was too hot or tired. I went over the bars coming off the right side of the Schleyer rock (under the lift) and had to take a time out for a few minutes. Then I pulled up alittle cockeyed coming off the Crack Addict drop and took a bar to my leg. Bad news. Other than that, had a great four days up there. Oh, I got a nasty......I mean, nasty sunburn from the pool! Ouch!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

great!

Now after adjusting the knobs on the fork and cycling it up and down. The fork barely returns and has a "binding coil" type sound. I tried turning each adjustment either way and it does the same thing.........damn! I did notice the rebound knob feeling harder to turn. Marzocchi here we come.......
    christ!
    Last edited by Largextracheese; 07-06-2006 at 08:33 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Sorry I missed ya up there. Oh, I got a nasty......I mean, nasty sunburn from the pool! Ouch!!
    Wow man... well those are hard trails (at least for me!). crack addict is wacky. I've spent more time riding the FR/XC up there, so I am just starting to get used to riding the park.

I ended up going solo since my wife & kid were sick.... then going up on the lift saturday with EB & Crew, she called to say they was feeling better, so I drove back down to the border to pick them up. I ended up riding in the park about 3hrs a day, all four days. We camped on teh cheakamus river which was killer. I wanted to keep it mellow with them since we are going up again for 10 days at the end of the month. I am so stoked to have a pass this year, every time day in the park I get new skills.

Anyways you shoudl call marz at 800-227-5579, they will hook you up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

cool......

I think all that Shore riding with EB will get you primed for that hill (Whistler). It's the jumps that you have to get used to. Tried calling Marz. today twice. Both times......nada. I guess they are pretty busy. Hopefully Monday I can get someone. Whenever you head up there, let me know. Most likely I'll be up there as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0