5th element spring question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

5th element spring question

I just got a used 5th element shock for my heckler. The new shock is 7.875 x 2.25. I have a spring I'd like to use from my old shock but that shock was 7.875x 2.0 and the writing on it reads 375/400 x 2.0. Is it possible to use this spring that was designed for 2.0 stroke without screwing up how my new 2.25e shock works? The reason I 'd like to use this old spring is because the 300lb spring that came with shock doesn't seem to be quite enought for my style of riding. I weigh about 170 with gear and ride aggressively taking lots of small 2-5 foot hits when I ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I doubt the 2.0 spring will work on a 2.25 shock w/o coil-binding when you compress it all the way. Coil bind is bad and will hose up either the shock and/or frame so you'd be better off buying a new spring ($45 or so).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    I doubt the 2.0 spring will work on a 2.25 shock w/o coil-binding when you compress it all the way. Coil bind is bad and will hose up either the shock and/or frame so you'd be better off buying a new spring ($45 or so).
    Agreed. Do not use the shorter stroke coil on your shock! If you bottom out, bad things will happen! You can get a proper coil for even less than $45, if you look around. A Manitou Swinger coil will work on the 5th too, and I think they're a bit cheaper.

Arek

Members who have read this thread: 0