26" to 27.5" front tire conversion only, back tire still stock 26"- Mtbr.com
    XC iconoclast

26" to 27.5" front tire conversion only, back tire still stock 26"

I posted this question in the 26" forum and they deflected the question by glorifying 26" tires and despising larger tires. LOL. Going in there and saying you own a non-26" bike is like going into a militant camp with a baseball hat on that represents the other team.

I'm sure many people have thought of and tried the partial conversion below. How did it work out? It must not have worked out very well if there is no info. easily found on this website.

Some people have put on a 27.5 fork on their 26 bike frame to run fatter tires, like 26 x 2.6, etc. But how many people have simply put on a real 27.5 inch tire with a 27.5 fork on a 26 bike and left the rest stock (as in let the rear tire stay as 26 inch)? Is it doable? Is it too much of an upright seating position now? Harder to pedal up hills? But better down hills with the bigger tire?

mtbr member
    It's not really any different than using a 26er wheel.

It's definitely doable. It's just not that different. The offset is different so it'll flop less and steer quicker.

I think you're overhyping the change. It's a good change anyway because you can use all the modern rims, tires, and forks, but don't expect some crazy difference.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Non-matching wheel size can be a good thing. The arc a 26in wheel turns in at the same lean is slightly tighter than a 27.5, so can help with cornering stability, since the wheel naturally wants to follow the tighter line.
    But as mentioned, side by side the difference is pretty minimal.
    My 26 with 2.4 fat Albert is only 10mm smaller diameter than my 27.5 with 2.35 fat Albert.
    Just do it.

For forks etc it's similar story, there is 3mm offset difference for some manufacturers on 27.5.

mtbr member
    AS One Pivot said, there really isn't that much difference between 26" and 650B, no matter how much marketing BS the industry tries to sell you on it. Yes the conversion is easily doable and it works well, no drastic improvement, but there's definitely improvement in how the front will roll over or through obstacles, subtle, but makes a difference. I run my rigid and HT miss-matched like that, but I run B+/29 or 29+ and love them like that, my loaner/rental SM bike runs 26"/650B and no issues with that either.

The small change in geo will not effect the bikes climbing much if any at all, if it climbed good before, then it still should with the conversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    AS One Pivot said, there really isn't that much difference between 26" and 650B, no matter how much marketing BS the industry tries to sell you on it. Yes the conversion is easily doable and it works well, no drastic improvement, but there's definitely improvement in how the front will roll over or through obstacles, subtle, but makes a difference.
    That difference is 4.5% increased diameter for 27.5 tires of the same model and width compared to their equivalent 26.

It's less than half the difference that exists between 26 and 29er.

And yes, I'm still rolling 26. I don't race XC and I find plenty of trail and DH tires. There unquestionably has been a few times that it annoyed me to not find a tire in 26 that is available in 27.5. But that annoyance is nowhere near the level of replacing my bike.

Besides, when I replace it, I'm going 27.5+ anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    That difference is 4.5% increased diameter for 27.5 tires of the same model and width compared to their equivalent 26.
    It's less than that. Only 1" difference between 26 and 27" rims. The 0.5" is marking bollocks.

3.8%

26" use 22"rims
    27.5/650B use 23" rims
    29" uses 24.5" rims.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz