20mm Short travel HD fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

20mm Short travel HD fork?

Hi,

Just personal preference, but I just dont seem overly comfortable on a longer travel fork in the 140mm+ range (single or double crown). I have ridden and raced recreational DH for several seasons - and while I can see the argument for a long travel fork for DH, I have been just as fast on my HT with a cranked down Pike as with any of my several DH bikes/forks over the last several years (thats 888, Boxxer and a WB DH1.8). I know DH forks are great - but I just like to ride it all, and really dont want to ride such a specific bike/fork as a dh package....

So I know huge drops require the extra travel - but I am older now (not necessarily smarter!!) and I know I can have just as much fun without jumping off every crazy thing I see....

The question is what makes DJ or 4X forks specific to that genre? Looking at the Marz 09 4X WC for example - it seems decent, 20mm axle and 100mm travel. Must be strong to take abuse of DJ, so what would stop me from running that on my hardtail do all bike. I love the hour trail nail before work a few times a week - and the 6 or so times we weekend at various DH resorts on the eastern side of the continent....

I want a 100 - 130 mm fork w/20mm axle. And strong to withstand not crazy drops by any means - but be ridden all over. Definitely transition landings when I do drop/jump.

Thanks
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-17-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: removed spam

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Edited for PMSing~
    Last edited by masnumata; 06-18-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

mtbr member
    Basically, a 4X WC is not really a do it all fork, you can do it, but things like DH and FR arnt gonna do it much good, a pike or a lyrik is a much better all rounder, even better if its the U-turn version

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why not just run a PIKE?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lmbrjck
    I want a 100 - 130 mm fork w/20mm axle. And strong to withstand not crazy drops by any means - but be ridden all over. Definitely transition landings when I do drop/jump.
    I have been just as fast on my HT with a cranked down Pike
    Sounds to me like you already own the fork you are looking for.

Members who have read this thread: 0