2020 Fox DPX2 custom tune?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2020 Fox DPX2 custom tune?

Installed on 2018 Ibis Mojo 3.
    Totally disappointed with this shock. The small bump compliance is terrible. Sag is 25-30% also tried several volume reducers. Getting full travel with zero spacers. Anyone have luck with a custom tune?

mtbr member
    I just saw this IG post from Vorsprung yesterday.

"We keep getting asked when we'll be offering Tractive tuning for the DPX2. We aren't, and this is part of the reason why. .

These plots are with no valving at all on the main piston, all force coming solely from shaft displacement. What's the takeaway? The rebound adjuster hugely affects the range of the compression adjuster. The patented design layout of the DPX2 precludes the possibility of getting around this. .

All the oil displaced by the damper shaft has to go through either the LSC adjuster orifice or the rebound adjuster orifice in the base valve. Because neither of those have a shimmed or otherwise speed sensitive circuit, it's very difficult to get low to mid speed support out of this damper without risking high speed harshness, unless the rebound is valved quite firmly, so that the rebound adjuster can be run quite open. .

As a result, unfortunately we will not offer Tractive tuning for this shock, because it's actually not possible to achieve many of the damping curves we specify without redesigning about half the shock. .

Note that this DOES NOT mean the DPX2 is a bad shock. It means it's unsuitable for our tuning, no more and no less. It is however a reliable, lightweight and moderately adjustable unit that works reasonably well in stock guise (where both rebound and LSC are able to be run fairly open). Don't interpret this as a failure on Fox's part, it is simply designed to do something other than what we want to make it do."

Someone does mention success with an Avalanche tune in the comments.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Iíve had reasonable success with tuning them, like Steve says they have some limitations but usually only if the situation needs strong lsc support which isnít the case on the ibis

Can we get some more info? Eg rider weight, pressures used and adjuster setting

Hitching a ride
    Isn't there some DW link bike that comes stock with them so you can buy a take-off? I think the Pivot 5.5 has the same eye to eye and stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    I just saw this IG post from Vorsprung yesterday.

"We keep getting asked when we'll be offering Tractive tuning for the DPX2. We aren't, and this is part of the reason why. .

These plots are with no valving at all on the main piston, all force coming solely from shaft displacement. What's the takeaway? The rebound adjuster hugely affects the range of the compression adjuster. The patented design layout of the DPX2 precludes the possibility of getting around this. .

All the oil displaced by the damper shaft has to go through either the LSC adjuster orifice or the rebound adjuster orifice in the base valve. Because neither of those have a shimmed or otherwise speed sensitive circuit, it's very difficult to get low to mid speed support out of this damper without risking high speed harshness, unless the rebound is valved quite firmly, so that the rebound adjuster can be run quite open. .

As a result, unfortunately we will not offer Tractive tuning for this shock, because it's actually not possible to achieve many of the damping curves we specify without redesigning about half the shock. .

Note that this DOES NOT mean the DPX2 is a bad shock. It means it's unsuitable for our tuning, no more and no less. It is however a reliable, lightweight and moderately adjustable unit that works reasonably well in stock guise (where both rebound and LSC are able to be run fairly open). Don't interpret this as a failure on Fox's part, it is simply designed to do something other than what we want to make it do."

Someone does mention success with an Avalanche tune in the comments.
    I saw that too and then saw on avalanche site they make pretty clear itís limited to main piston tune. So my guess is they can be made better but would never be a tractive super deluxe or monarch plus and that wasnít a compromise Vorsprung was willing to settle on (similar to Push not tuning Charger 2 even though improvements can be made and instead made HC97). Just a guess though, Iím sure all tuners have a lim8t of what they want to put their name on. My tractive should arrive this week, Iím excited to feel the results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I did not get along with the tune on my transition scout, Avalanche was able to get it sorted out.

mtbr member
    One thing you may want to try out is a needle bearing or the new Fox roller bearing if your mounting hardware width is 30mm. I didnt love the DPX2 on my HTLT because it was a bit harsh in chunder. Would beat my feet around in fast rock gardens. The needle bearing from RWC helped smooth it out some. Ultimately I bought an X2 when Worldwide was running 20% off. Cost $540 and sold the DPX2 for $375. About the same cost as a custom tune if it even was available. The X2 made a massive difference. I dont even think about my shock anymore.

mtbr member
    Fox should have made an air version of the DHX RC2 instead.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info. I am going to try a new tune. Hope it works.