2019 specialized stumpjumper st suspension HELP!- Mtbr.com
    Slappy
    Oct 2019

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2019 specialized stumpjumper st suspension HELP!

So heres the thing.... I have a 2019 specialized stumpjumper st carbon comp with fox 34 rythem/fox float dps. Where I'm from (twin cities), the trails are mostly xc stuff and pretty tamed but recently I've been headed north to the famous Duluth MN and been really liking the gnarly rocks. My wallet wont let me have 2 bikes and I cant settle with just a enduro so I'd like to just beef up my suspension. My day job is working on motocross suspension so I understand some things. I've only been biking for a year so I'm a rookie at this. I'm planning on buying a 140mm shaft for the fork and doing volume spacers for the fork but would love a 130mm beefied up shock. What's a good option for the shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slepica213 View Post
    So heres the thing.... I have a 2019 specialized stumpjumper st carbon comp with fox 34 rythem/fox float dps. Where I'm from (twin cities), the trails are mostly xc stuff and pretty tamed but recently I've been headed north to the famous Duluth MN and been really liking the gnarly rocks. My wallet wont let me have 2 bikes and I cant settle with just a enduro so I'd like to just beef up my suspension. My day job is working on motocross suspension so I understand some things. I've only been biking for a year so I'm a rookie at this. I'm planning on buying a 140mm shaft for the fork and doing volume spacers for the fork but would love a 130mm beefied up shock. What's a good option for the shock?
    The ST SJ frame is the same frame as the regular SJ with longer travel. You just need to get a shock with the same specs as the normal stumpjumper. Some googling will net you the size.

Regarding what shock to buy, that's a mixed bag. Most aftermarket shocks these days are shipping with medium compression and medium rebound tunes. I find that many bikes (not all depending on style and leverage ratio) seem to benefit from lighter tunes then the oem ship them with. I digress, a good option would be a dpx2, and you can then rebuild it to w/e shim stack and piston you want via the fox website. If you've rebuilt mx suspension, the internals of the air shock will be slightly foreign, but not from another planet.

The path of least resistance for you is to find a take off from the longer travel SJ frame. That way you know it has the oem compression/rebound tunes and has the correct eye to eye size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's quite a bit of discussion on this on the Spec board. I believe a new linkage is required to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    order a 150mm air shaft for the Fox 34.

order a LT shock linkage and look for a used shock or order a new shock.

Then you have the LT version of the stumpy. You can also go back to ST if you want later and sell the used air shaft, shock and linkage. Might not get alot but if you dont like the LT then you can recoupe some.

Alot of guys are getting rid of the stock Fox DPX and going coil so you might grab one cheap. They are pretty good by the way. The Cane Creek Coil inLine or the double barrel is a great shock.

My thoughts
    Transition Scout Carbon

mtbr member
    Word on the street is you can also go to a 55mm stroke when you go up to the proper rear shock. It should add another 10-15mm of travel on the bike above the 140 on the 'standard' stump, so consider going that route, just don't change the eye to eye.

I'm a fan of the MRP coil rear shock and the DPX2 for the Stump. Just take the HUGE volume spacer out of the stock rear shock if you get a take-off.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com