2019 Fox 36 oil change- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2019 Fox 36 oil change

well good thing I watched a video cuz I wasn't aware the new damper needed different oil....anyhow on the fox site there is also a listed for the air side that says "air side bath" and air side chamber" anyone know what that means, one is 3ml the other 10ml.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Air side bath is the oil in the lower legs and oil side chamber is the oil on top of the air piston in the air chamber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnoNykanen View Post
    Air side bath is the oil in the lower legs and oil side chamber is the oil on top of the air piston in the air chamber.
    thanks-crazy thing is i called fox too, the guy told me to put slick honey on top of the piston like an ice cream cone and to watch the rebuild air spring rebuild video on the website, watched the video and no mention of the grease on top of the piston, called back and was told that guy is wrong....come on fox.

I will say it is a new fork and when it took it apart there was so much grease and it was definitely covering the negative air ports, not sure what these guys are doing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yeah the official instructions clearly mention just to pour in the oil, not grease in the air chamber. Though of course the air piston should be liberally greased but "ice cream cone" on top of the piston sounds like an overkill and probably starts to affect the air chamber volume as well. Then again if the point was to replace the few cc of oil then it could do the job. Not sure if there's practically much difference though actually. In theory I guess the oil will better stick on roof of the piston while the grease would probably migrate to the top of the air chamber and not provide as much lubrication when not using full travel.