2019 Fox 36 Grip2- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2019 Fox 36 Grip2

So I just got one of these a few weeks ago Factory 36 grip2 with 170mm of travel and set it up according to the manual, 75psi no volume spacers, 6 clicks LSR 5 Clicks HSR, 6 clicks LSC and 10 clicks HSC. Fork felt great out in Pisgah riding trails like Bennet Gap, Heartbreak, and Kitsuma along with some DuPont. It does feel quite a bit firmer in the parking lot than I'm used to yet at the same time really soaks stuff up and doesn't get overwhelmed when it gets rowdy like my previous fork with an Avalanche damper( that damper just couldn't keep up with constant chunder of 15 minute dh's and would feel sloppy and spikey) I will say with the factory recommended air pressure and sag I have to do some really stupid stuff to use the last half inch of travel but like I said the fork feels great as far as soaking up the rocks roots drops etc and keeping the tire glued to the ground without feeling spikey so I'm not overly concerned about that.

In the tuning guide they list 16 clicks of available HSC though my fork has 30 clicks available. So is the useable range only 16 clicks and anything beyond that from full closed does nothing? Not really sure. I think fox knocked it out of the park on this one even though it isn't the plushest feeling fork out there in the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Parking lot tests donít do shit for modern forks. If it feels good in the parking 9 out of 10 it will be hot garbage on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    As I noticed.

JB
    Anybody with time on both the 2019 Lyric RC2 and the 36 Grip 2?

mtbr member
    Hi AlienRFX - yea the manual is wrong on the clicks - fox proof read your manuals you muppets - but the fork felt great at the suggested settings. I took 10 out of 16 on HSC to actually mean 10 out of 30.

I have both a year 19 and 18 currently and cycling the rc2 vs the grip, by hand, when servicing them there is a noticeable difference in stiction. Im not sure it makes that much difference on the trail. i think the main benefit of grip 2 is that you sit in the middle of the tuning range rather than having to run it all open like the old forks. The 36 grip 2 fork still has that firm feeling that fox have had for a while.

Im 100% sure thats down to the air side of the fork where with the current design they have struggled to make the negative air spring large enough to make it ultra supple without reducing the positive too much and creating a load of ramp up.

Rock Shoxs 2019 trick on their forks by making the shaft in the neg area hollow was a really good idea. No decrease in positive volume but an increase in negative.

Still its a phenomenal fork.. lots of traction.. and very composed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve View Post
    Rock Shoxs 2019 trick on their forks by making the shaft in the neg area hollow was a really good idea. No decrease in positive volume but an increase in negative.

Still its a phenomenal fork.. lots of traction.. and very composed.
    The 2018 Fox 36 uses a hollow shaft that is used for extra negative air volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    The 2018 Fox 36 uses a hollow shaft that is used for extra negative air volume.
    Ah... good info.... is that the 2019 air spring upgrade? Which also reduced the knocking? Wondered what that hole under the metal top out bumper was for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Definitely no knocking in my fork.

Which damper had more stiction Karve? the RC2 or the Grip2?

JB
    More details between the Lyric and Grip2 please, lots of money riding on this decision.

JB
    delete

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    ive just got a set of Grip2 forks. im about 82kg and have set them up with 1 token and backed off the lsc and hsc 2 click. 76psi - rebound on the base settings and they feel great.

ive only done two rides on them but so far so good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    Definitely no knocking in my fork.

Which damper had more stiction Karve? the RC2 or the Grip2?
    Some early variant of the evol on the 2018 fork had a different bumper which could produce a bit of top out.. was sorted out by fox well over a year ago.

From what Rick says it may well also have also introduced the hollow shaft.

Good comparison here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKfy5R7FuUM

the RC2 deffo had more stiction but not massively more. 20-30% less maybe. Most of the stiction comes from the air side so its all relative really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    More details between the Lyric and Grip2 please, lots of money riding on this decision.

MBR (print mag) did a recent test.

MBR July 2018 - MBR

Lyric for comfort, 36 for support in the steeps. They slightly favored the Lyric but again no clear winner. Pick the fork for your style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The 36 Grip2 is like all Fox's recent forks, it rides high in its travel and its very composed. The RC2 Lyrik definitely gives up its travel a bit easier, its a nice fork but I could not get the demo one I have to ride how I want it to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve View Post
    MBR (print mag) did a recent test.

MBR July 2018 - MBR

Lyric for comfort, 36 for support in the steeps. They slightly favored the Lyric but again no clear winner. Pick the fork for your style.
    I picked the one with the best and fastest warranty back up - which is hands down Fox in the uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My 36 definitely rides high, but flattens out the small stuff and gobbles up the large stuff. It's honestly the best fork I've used over 22 years of riding. I did add 1 more click of lsr the other day and it helped calm the motion of the ocean.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    The 36 Grip2 is like all Fox's recent forks, it rides high in its travel and its very composed. The RC2 Lyrik definitely gives up its travel a bit easier, its a nice fork but I could not get the demo one I have to ride how I want it to ride.
    Hey Rick I see you fitted a Luftkappe - same here. Did you keep pressure the same or bump it up a bit?

Im 76kg kitted and running 67psi on a 180 version. Feels good but no big hits with it yet and deffo not getting into the last 20mm of travel yet.

Had to run 61 PSI & 1 token in my 2018 to make it supple enough so seems a step forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hey folks, sorry for the stupid question:
    The HS and LS adjusters seem to turn turn together (when turning the LSC the HSC turns with it, etc.). Are they meant to?
    Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    When I turn the HSC the LSC turns with it. Turning the LSC doesn't make the HSC turn.
    2 wheels

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazenhart View Post
    Hey folks, sorry for the stupid question:
    The HS and LS adjusters seem to turn turn together (when turning the LSC the HSC turns with it, etc.). Are they meant to?
    Thanks for your time.
    Pretty much every shock/fork that has this adjustment does this. It's fine. It's not adjusting the LSC.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Weighed my options and ordered up a 36 Grip2 160mm 29er 44mm offset w/Kabolt. Will pick up a 170mm air spring when it comes in stock at CDN distro in August.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anybody have settings for a 160 pound rider with the Grip2? I am only 4 rides in and have opened up the HSR and HSC a bit but need to try some other settings.. I am on the 170mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    so having had the forks a month and spent a week in morzine the forks are now making a horrible rattle noise when lifting the wheel and tapping on the floor. almost like it has a dead spot off the bottom

great they are going back to Silverfish in the uk on monday

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The only sound mine makes after a month of use and a trip to Pisgah is the squishy sound of oil flowing through the damper. Only tweaks I've made are to increase LSR a click or two as it the fork feels sooo much better than previous forks.

I'll probably be dropping the lowers soon to check oil levels and amount of grease in neg spring soon just out of curiosity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So took the 36ís off the bike ready to go back to Fox tomorrow. If I shake the forks I can hear something metallic rattling about in the forks so defiantly something has come apart or broken inside. Not great really given they are not a month old

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mine built up quite a lot of air in the lowers. I was unable to get full travel despite being ~15 psi under Fox recommendation, and dialing off all HSC. Was also getting some top out noise on chattery stuff.

So I burped (a lot) of air out of the lowers with a zip tie, and she's back to being the best fork I've used to date.

So, new fork, same old problem with accumulating air in the lowers. This was after about ~300 miles of riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    so just heard back from fox uk yesterday - its had a new damper fitted but they were pretty vague as to why? Its being delivered back to me today so will get it fitted and try it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Fresh Grip 2, 170mm and 44mm offset. Hope toget on the trails asap!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    Mine built up quite a lot of air in the lowers. I was unable to get full travel despite being ~15 psi under Fox recommendation, and dialing off all HSC. Was also getting some top out noise on chattery stuff.

So I burped (a lot) of air out of the lowers with a zip tie, and she's back to being the best fork I've used to date.

So, new fork, same old problem with accumulating air in the lowers. This was after about ~300 miles of riding.
    Fox really needs to equip all their forks with pressure relief valves like some other manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Fitted the forks back on. Zero clunk from them now and they feel very different.

Also this new cartridge has 16 clicks of HSC as the manual says - the old one had 30.

I did a local loop yesterday and they are night and day different.
    Last edited by dlocki; 07-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So I pulled the lowers off out of curiosity today and to do a lower leg service. The oil levels were good, but there was no grease on the dust wipers and the foam rings were dry. Also the neg air chamber and air piston had an excessive amount of grease on em. So I cleaned everything up, put the right amount of grease on the air piston, greased the dust wipers, oiled the foam rings and slapped it all back together with the proper oil levels. The initial stiction to get the fork moving is gone now and is a little more supple on the small stuff, not that it was ever bad.

mtbr member
    So for those that seem to have extra clicks/range on their HSC and LSC, I talked to fox and they said it is something that would have to be sent in. It hasn't been a known issue but if you are affected I would recommend giving them a call in case it's larger than they think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    So for those that seem to have extra clicks/range on their HSC and LSC, I talked to fox and they said it is something that would have to be sent in. It hasn't been a known issue but if you are affected I would recommend giving them a call in case it's larger than they think.

I was told by Fox uk that mine were the first pair they have had back. They wouldnít tell me anything other than they swapped the cartridge.
    Last edited by dlocki; 07-31-2018 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Did it feel different on the damping side or just the knock that was now gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlocki View Post
    I was told by Fox that mine were the first pair they have had back. They wouldnít tell me anything other than they swapped the cartridge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    did they indicate some sort of performance difference for forks with 30 clicks instead of 16? I would assume that the difference is purely "cosmetic".

mtbr member
    No they definitely said the 36 grip 2 is supposed to have 16 and that this issue is pretty unknown to them. They said I could ride it and fiddle with it and see how it goes or send it to them to investigate. I'll likely ride it through the week and send it out on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    did they indicate some sort of performance difference for forks with 30 clicks instead of 16? I would assume that the difference is purely "cosmetic".

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

They feels very different - really supple off the bottom and pretty much like all the reviews raved about. The old cartridge was very stiff off the bottom almost like it had a ton of Lsc then ramped really hard from about 50% travel - im about 82kgs - had 76psi/25% sag and 1 token, riding a week in morzine I only got full travel once and that was a proper oh sh*t moment, I got full travel from the new cartridge on a local loop over the weekend using the same settings.
    Last edited by dlocki; 07-31-2018 at 01:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Stiff is definitely how I would describe Mine. I was out of town all weekend so I didn't get a chance to ride. Set at the recommended air and sag I'm thinking to myself there is no way I am getting full travel. I'll do a couple runs and probably send it in. Thanks for the feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlocki View Post
    They feels very different - really supple off the bottom and pretty much like all the reviews raved about. The old cartridge was very stiff off the bottom almost like it had a ton of Lsc, riding a week in morzine I only got full travel once and that was a proper oh sh*t moment, I got full travel from the new cartridge on a local loop over the weekend using the same settings.

mtbr member
    Ok I don't even know what to believe anymore.
    Vitalmtb counts
    HSC-32
    LSC-16
    HSR-8
    LSR-16

Pink bike
    HSC-27
    LSC-15
    HSR-8
    LSR-17

Fanatik bike grip2 assembly
    Matches pinkbike

MTBMAG
    HSC-16
    LSC-12

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Ok I don't even know what to believe anymore.
    Vitalmtb counts
    HSC-32
    LSC-16
    HSR-8
    LSR-16

Pink bike
    HSC-27
    LSC-15
    HSR-8
    LSR-17

Fanatik bike grip2 assembly
    Matches pinkbike

MTBMAG
    HSC-16
    LSC-12

Mine has 30 clicks HSC, 12 clicks LSC. Feels great but now I don't know if I should send it in or not.

mtbr member
    I have a message in to fox. I'll keep you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerstone View Post
    Mine has 30 clicks HSC, 12 clicks LSC. Feels great but now I don't know if I should send it in or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sounds like I purchased another fine piece of equipment from FOX.

mtbr member
    Ok so I got confirmation from fox. Early run grip2s did not have a spacer to block off a certain amount of clicks. He said the first 16 clicks from closed are still usable and the 2nd set is pretty much just all open. So tune the same way starting from closed and just know anything past 16 clicks will do nothing.

mtbr member
    Also I took this picture of the fork bottomed out with no air. For those not using all the travel this might be way. Idk if there is a little bumper that will compress the rest of the way but here's that

mtbr member
    Also all the grease inside the positive air chamber. Scooped some out.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    The grease in the positive doesn't do much. The grease in the negative does matter as the volume is 1/10 the size.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Ugh well from the looks on the outside, I can imagine it looks just as bad. Looks like I'm pulling the lowers to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    The grease in the positive doesn't do much. The grease in the negative does matter as the volume is 1/10 the size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I called Fox this morning, they said I'd need to send the fork in to get a damper swap. They wouldn't send a damper to me directly but they did send one to a buddy at my LBS. I'll report back when I swap it in. For the money this thing cost I don't want missing shims and extra clicks.

mtbr member
    I will likely do the same at the end of the week.
    I called Fox this morning, they said I'd need to send the fork in to get a damper swap. They wouldn't send a damper to me directly but they did send one to a buddy at my LBS. I'll report back when I swap it in. For the money this thing cost I don't want missing shims and extra clicks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ok so I got confirmation from fox. Early run grip2s did not have a spacer to block off a certain amount of clicks. He said the first 16 clicks from closed are still usable and the 2nd set is pretty much just all open. So tune the same way starting from closed and just know anything past 16 clicks will do nothing.

TamiJean, thanks for posting this. Mine has 31 clicks and after some experimentation I have it set at 20 from closed. Now I feel a bit foolish about the time I spent playing around in the back 16 thinking I could feel a difference.
    If it's just extra clicks why do we need new dampers?
    I like mine a lot but wish it was more plush over single bumps. However the control is next level magical in rough sections. I also wonder why I need to have the rebound set so slow? Maybe with more HSC I won't need so much rebound damping. I'll try that next.
    My settings
    180lbs with gear
    170mm travel ACS-3 Green spring, no air in bump stop but still don't use the last inch
    HSC 20
    LSC 8
    HSR 1
    LSR 5
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can anyone compare the grip2 damper to avalanche. Looking to upgrade my 2017 36 damper but looks like fox still having quality control issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    TamiJean, thanks for posting this. Mine has 31 clicks and after some experimentation I have it set at 20 from closed. Now I feel a bit foolish about the time I spent playing around in the back 16 thinking I could feel a difference.
    I like mine a lot but wish it was more plush over single bumps. However the control is next level magical in rough sections. I also wonder why I need to have the rebound set so slow? Maybe with more HSC I won't need so much rebound damping. I'll try that next.
    My settings
    180lbs with gear
    170mm travel ACS-3 Green spring, no air in bump stop but still don't use the last inch
    HSC 20
    LSC 8
    HSR 1
    LSR 5
    I agree it's a great feeling fork, can't imagine what it feels like with the coil.
    I'm still playing around with my settings so I can't be of much help there. I'm having a hard time using all of the travel as well, although on my last ride that's probably a good thing.
    As far as a new damper goes, for the price of the fork and the one year warranty I'd like everything to be correct from the get go. I don't want to run into any issues down the road caused by riding in the "dead zone" of the HSC or something like that. They are willing to replace them, might as well get one that works as they intended from the start.

mtbr member
    Ya my LSC clicks are off too. I want it performing and acting like it's supposed to.
    I agree it's a great feeling fork, can't imagine what it feels like with the coil.
    I'm still playing around with my settings so I can't be of much help there. I'm having a hard time using all of the travel as well, although on my last ride that's probably a good thing.
    As far as a new damper goes, for the price of the fork and the one year warranty I'd like everything to be correct from the get go. I don't want to run into any issues down the road caused by riding in the "dead zone" of the HSC or something like that. They are willing to replace them, might as well get one that works as they intended from the start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 7four8 View Post
    Can anyone compare the grip2 damper to avalanche. Looking to upgrade my 2017 36 damper but looks like fox still having quality control issues.
    Yep, previous fork was a 2015 36 with Avy Damper, in consistently choppy terrain the Avy damper felt sloppy and uncontrolled as well as spikey. I even spent the time to confirm that the tune was correct for my weight and riding style. The new fork with the Grip 2 damper set at factory recommended settings right out of the box on the same trails felt far more composed and much less spikey with significantly reduced arm pump. To put it simply this fork has completely changed my opinion on closed dampers vs open bath, and now I know what damper fade in an open bath cartridge feels like compared to something that doesn't aerate the oil. And yes my fork has the 30 clicks of HSC vs the 16 mentioned in the manual, still performs great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great! It's also $300 vs $500 so kinda going back and forth on this. Anyone else have an opinion?

mtbr member
    I played around with the clicks to test what fox said. I tried 10 clicks from closed with the believe that the 2nd half of clicks from closed were plecebo, then I went to 10 clicks from starting halfway through the clicks and it was nice and day. 10 clicks from true closed was dang near on ridable for me. My hopes is that they just pull it out, put a replacement in and be done. Also my LSC clicks we're off too
    My settings
    180lbs with gear
    HSC 20
    LSC 8
    HSR 1
    LSR 5

stl_burner
    Hmmmmm. I have a new 160 Grip2 36 on a Santa Cruz HTLT, that I've been tuning for 5 rides or so. 30 clicks of HSC available. I've dropped down to zero volume spacers, wide open HSC and LSC, and 78 PSI, I'm just under 180 with gear. That puts me at 38mm/24% sag in the attack position. Currently I'm getting 110mm/70% of the travel.

mtbr member
    I sent mine in. Give them a call. I would bet money we will see a recall about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlburner View Post
    Hmmmmm. I have a new 160 Grip2 36 on a Santa Cruz HTLT, that I've been tuning for 5 rides or so. 30 clicks of HSC available. I've dropped down to zero volume spacers, wide open HSC and LSC, and 78 PSI, I'm just under 180 with gear. That puts me at 38mm/24% sag in the attack position. Currently I'm getting 110mm/70% of the travel.

stl_burner
    Edited to remove unhelpful post. See following post.

stl_burner
    I just spoke to the Fox Service Department and told them about my 30ish clicks of HSC adjustment.

The gentleman I spoke with asked me to also count my LSC clicks, which are also incorrect at 16. He then asked me for my contact info so that he could reach back out when they have a solution, and also stated that he has a list of people to call back similar to me. He said they don't have any of the affected forks back in house yet so they don't know what the prescribed fix is.

Initially he said that my lack of travel shouldn't be affected, but then made a statement speculating that maybe the issue could be affecting the travel later in the conversation.

He did tell me also that the extra clicks of HSC out beyond 16 out won't have any effect on the fork's performance.

It was suggested that I keep riding it, that maybe it wasn't broken in yet and that's why I'm not seeing the travel.

I found it odd that during the conversation the gentleman had to look up whether to turn it CW/CCW fully to close down the HSC and get to the place where you can start counting clicks out. Most of us know that, and I'm pretty sure that it has almost always been like that.

Fingers crossed that if there is a problem that they find and deliver a solution.
    Last edited by stlburner; 08-04-2018 at 05:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Idk. Manuel states 12 clicks for LSC(see picture). I tested the theory that the 2nd set of 16 clicks didn't work but I think I have to disagree. 10 from closed and 20 from closed feel drastically different to me
    I just spoke to the Fox Service Department and told them about my 30ish clicks of HSC adjustment.

The gentleman I spoke with asked me to also count my LSC clicks, which are correct at 16. He then asked me for my contact info so that he could reach back out when they have a solution, and also stated that he has a list of people to call back similar to me. He said they don't have any of the affected forks back in house yet so they don't know what the prescribed fix is.

Initially he said that my lack of travel shouldn't be affected, but then made a statement speculating that maybe the issue could be affecting the travel later in the conversation.

He did tell me also that the extra clicks of HSC out beyond 16 out won't have any effect on the fork's performance.

It was suggested that I keep riding it, that maybe it wasn't broken in yet and that's why I'm not seeing the travel.

I found it odd that during the conversation the gentleman had to look up whether to turn it CW/CCW fully to close down the HSC and get to the place where you can start counting clicks out. Most of us know that, and I'm pretty sure that it has almost always been like that.

Fingers crossed that if there is a problem that they find and deliver a solution.

mtbr member

2019 Fox 36 Grip2

Hi folks
    Just got a new 36 Grip2 29 coming off a 17í Lyrik.
    The new fox seems to have a ton of stiction. There is hardly any suppleness off the top, or anywhere in the stroke at all for that matter, the amount of feedback the fork produces makes it very hard to hold lines that the lyrik blasted through smoothly.
    The only area the fork feels solid is in the steeps, which we have plenty of around here. In short the fork just feels over damped in basically every situation. Iíve tried factory settings, and dialing the compression all the way out, there wasnít much difference. Iíve also messed with psi and volume spacers, but going much lower then the recommended settings led to bottom out pretty easily. Iím 175 and running just below 80 psi with 2 spacers I was getting just about full travel where I should have.
    Messing around with friends forks, mine seems overly harsh. I have two riding buddies who have the fit versions and that fork feels nice and supple much like the lyrik.

Anyone else experience this issue? About ready to thrown in the towel with this thing. Riding in the NE wet today it was miserable, constant deflection had me crashing in places I never had issues with.

Thanks

mtbr member
    It seems like it should be unnecessary to do but the QC at Fox seems to be lackluster sometimes. If you are comfortable doing it, pull the lowers and check for overgreased negative airspring especially around the equalizing port. Check foam rings and seals as well. Also maybe burp the lowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Hi folks
    The new fox seems to have a ton of stiction. There is hardly any suppleness off the top, or anywhere in the stroke at all for that matter, the amount of feedback the fork produces makes it very hard to hold lines that the lyrik blasted through smoothly.
    The only area the fork feels solid is in the steeps, which we have plenty of around here. In short the fork just feels over damped in basically every situation. Iíve tried factory settings, and dialing the compression all the way out, there wasnít much difference. Iíve also messed with psi and volume spacers, but going much lower then the recommended settings led to bottom out pretty easily. Iím 175 and running just below 80 psi with 2 spacers I was getting just about full travel where I should have.
    Messing around with friends forks, mine seems overly harsh. I have two riding buddies who have the fit versions and that fork feels nice and supple much like the lyrik.

Anyone else experience this issue? About ready to thrown in the towel with this thing. Riding in the NE wet today it was miserable, constant deflection had me crashing in places I never had issues with.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Hi folks

Thanks
    have you done a lower leg service? IMO every single new fork made by every mfg, needs a lower leg service nearly immediately to perform properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    have you done a lower leg service? IMO every single new fork made by every mfg, needs a lower leg service nearly immediately to perform properly.
    Thanks guys. Uggh. No, I was hoping to avoid pulling apart my brand new fork but that is a logical next step before giving up or sending it back. I've done plenty fork services, this thing is so dead feeling I was more wondering if it was a defect. It feels bad enough that air in the lowers or to much Grease in the neg chamber would not effect it to this degree, but I suppose that could be the case. It's almost like the bushings are too tight.

I'll pull it apart and give it one more shot.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks guys. Uggh. No, I was hoping to avoid pulling apart my brand new fork but that is a logical next step before giving up or sending it back. I've done plenty fork services, this thing is so dead feeling I was more wondering if it was a defect. It feels bad enough that air in the lowers or to much Grease in the neg chamber would not effect it to this degree, but I suppose that could be the case. It's almost like the bushings are too tight.

I'll pull it apart and give it one more shot.

Thanks again.
    This is exactly how mine felt - it then developed a loud rattle. I bet everyone whoís got one of the first batchís forks are exactly the same. Send it back 👎

mtbr member
    dang. Did they give you any indication as to what is wrong? I'd pull it apart and fix it myself if its something simple. Otherwise it goes back. I' guessing you had it sent back through your shop or did you just call customer service?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi folks

Thanks
    I sent mine in for warranty, similar issues mentioned in this thread. Fork tracked like complete crap and as you said hard to hold lines, had me running off the trail constantly or pinging all over. I spent 2 weeks playing with settings and air volume, regardless it just felt weird.

I threw my Pike on while the Grip2 is being warrantied which honestly feels a 100x's better, I am hoping this 36 is just defective or otherwise has me wondering why I spent close to $1K on it.

Hopefully the issues are resolved when the Grip2 gets back to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    dang. Did they give you any indication as to what is wrong? I'd pull it apart and fix it myself if its something simple. Otherwise it goes back. I' guessing you had it sent back through your shop or did you just call customer service?
    Iím in the Uk - I just sent it back direct to Fox Uk. It was less than a month old. They wouldnít say what was wrong but they replaced the cartridge and itís night and day different now

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Mine feels a little weird after it's been sitting for a while, it takes a bit of force to break initial stiction but then works great. I've never experienced this before with any other fork, is that within the realms of normal?

mtbr member
    What's "awhile"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Mine feels a little weird after it's been sitting for a while, it takes a bit of force to break initial stiction but then works great. I've never experienced this before with any other fork, is that within the realms of normal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    What's "awhile"?

Certainly not mid ride, but any time I pull the bike out of storage for a ride, next day or two after a ride typically.

mtbr member
    I've experienced that maybe for the first push but then it feels fine after. That's with any fork.
    Certainly not mid ride, but any time I pull the bike out of storage for a ride, next day or two after a ride typically.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I've experienced that maybe for the first push but then it feels fine after. That's with any fork.

Cool, I'll quit worrying. Previous RS forks haven't been anything as pronounced as this, and given the issues others are seeing I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the lowers and check the foam rings and seals. As others have mentioned, QC seems to be questionable which sucks when making such a big purchase but if they are dry, that could a reason you are experiencing that.
    Cool, I'll quit worrying. Previous RS forks haven't been anything as pronounced as this, and given the issues others are seeing I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    ive just had the 5wt teflon data sheet from fox and the quoted cst value @40c is 17.24

Having a quick look the nearest oil to this is motorex 4wt.

Soon as ive got a good few more rides on this new cartridge im going to open it up

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have one with the extra clicks and can't access the last 27mm of stanchion. I also think it's harsher than it should be so I'm sending it in for warranty evaluation.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Question for those with the Grip2. Anybody having second thoughts about the fork?

I was going to get one, but now I'm starting to re think it. Main concerns are qc issues and overall performance. I wonder if I should wait a while and let Fox sort everything out or go with a Lyrik RC2.

So would you purchase the Grip2 again? Or would you buy something else? Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Question for those with the Grip2. Anybody having second thoughts about the fork?

I was going to get one, but now I'm starting to re think it. Main concerns are qc issues and overall performance. I wonder if I should wait a while and let Fox sort everything out or go with a Lyrik RC2.

So would you purchase the Grip2 again? Or would you buy something else? Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.
    my thoughts are - and this is based on having had since 2015, pikes to 36's to Diamonds and now on grip 36's

of the four forks above all have had to go back to be fixed under warranty.

2015 pikes creaking csu - 5 week turnaround
    2016 36's - poor small bump, turns out with the seal head
    2017 Dvo diamonds - constant problems - creaking csu, blown damper, air leaks, pissy bushings, the list goes on.
    2019 grip2 36 - damper issues but fixed in under a week.

my theory in going for the 36 over the lyrik was the turnaround time when they break, the 36 can go direct back to fox uk, the lyrik has to go back to sram via the dearler. ive got 4 rides on the forks with the replacement cartridge and so far so good. if you go for a 36 - make sure it has the correct amount of HSC/LSC clicks as stated in the manual - 16/12 i think off the top of my head. the first batches like I originally had seem to have the issues

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have the grip 2 with extra HSC clicks and trouble using full travel as discussed above. I have sent it in for warranty. However, even with those issues, I feel that the fork is one of the best I've used out of Pikes, 36s from 2016 and 2018, and a Lyrik. I was really unhappy with the super harsh 2016 36, and I've been irritated at the frequency of warranty issues with Fox - pretty much every fork/shock I've had has gone in. But the performance of the Grip 2 36 is pretty damn good and I'd buy it again even knowing I'd probably have to send it for warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Well just confirmed that fox installed a new damper in my fork. Mum as to why though. I will report what the changes are when I get it back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought the Grip 2 36 Fork and had the travel changed at FOX from 170 to 150 for my bike.
    Coming from a 2016 36 150 (OEM) to the new fork is night and day better.
    I set my sag at 25% and slowed the LSR down 2 clicks and went out for my 2nd ride on it tonight. The ride quality over sharp edge rocks and roots is so improved. The new fork never deflects and feels "Factory" compared to the old one.
    Small drops to flat landings felt great too. I've yet to do some bigger hits with it and curious how it performs there. My old 36 was terrible with big stuff and would blow through its travel and make a metal on metal "clank" sound. (Even with 4 orange spacers iinstalled!)
    I checked my HSC and it has 26 clicks and the LSC has 13.
    I hate to send it back to FOX but if it needs the damper replaced I guess I will have to.

mtbr member

An Update for people with the 30 click HSC.....

I just purchased and installed a New 36 Grip 2 yesterday. I happened upon this thread while looking for some set up tips and found that a few of you were having an issue with your HSC and LSC knobs having an incorrect amount of clicks.

I said to myself...UH OH! and went and checked my damper. Low and behold I have the same issue.

So, I just got off with the phone with The Fox US Service manager and here are the details. First, they are aware of the issue. Second, their engineering department is working on a fix which I suspect will be a new damper or a part that can be retrofitted. He gave me his direct line so I can call back in 2 weeks to see where they are with the fix.

And now here is what he told me to do in the interim. Apparently there was not a hard stop engineered into the fork in the first place. Why? Beyond me.

Anyways, the damper in reality has 18 clicks of usable adjustment. You set the fork to fully open and crank 18 clicks to fully closed and then adjust back from there. Anything past 18 clicks basically does nothing. I said I was concerned about damaging the damper should I go past those 18 clicks and was told it wont be an issue.

I asked why cant I just get my damper swapped now? He said that all of the dampers can be turned past the usable range with enough force (especially by riders wearing gloves) so they want to offer an actual fix. Cool.

Honestly this sucks. Pay over a grand for a flagship fork and this happens. I know it is just a knob but at this price range this shouldn't be an issue. But they are working on it and are engineering a fix so I am at least happy about that. And I can ride my bike until the issue is fix with no effect on performance(fingers crossed).

Hope this info helps anyone who has the same Issue.

mtbr member
    I get my fork back today. Tech on the phone said I got a damper swap but was mum as to why. Tried sending a separate email but no reply yet. Your explanation sounds way better than the one I was given. The told me to go 16 clicks from closed as my usable range. Definitely not because it felt like garbage. I think we are gonna see a voluntary recall like the x2
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    I just purchased and installed a New 36 Grip 2 yesterday. I happened upon this thread while looking for some set up tips and found that a few of you were having an issue with your HSC and LSC knobs having an incorrect amount of clicks.

I said to myself...UH OH! and went and checked my damper. Low and behold I have the same issue.

So, I just got off with the phone with The Fox US Service manager and here are the details. First, they are aware of the issue. Second, their engineering department is working on a fix which I suspect will be a new damper or a part that can be retrofitted. He gave me his direct line so I can call back in 2 weeks to see where they are with the fix.

And now here is what he told me to do in the interim. Apparently there was not a hard stop engineered into the fork in the first place. Why? Beyond me.

Anyways, the damper in reality has 18 clicks of usable adjustment. You set the fork to fully open and crank 18 clicks to fully closed and then adjust back from there. Anything past 18 clicks basically does nothing. I said I was concerned about damaging the damper should I go past those 18 clicks and was told it wont be an issue.

I asked why cant I just get my damper swapped now? He said that all of the dampers can be turned past the usable range with enough force (especially by riders wearing gloves) so they want to offer an actual fix. Cool.

Honestly this sucks. Pay over a grand for a flagship fork and this happens. I know it is just a knob but at this price range this shouldn't be an issue. But they are working on it and are engineering a fix so I am at least happy about that. And I can ride my bike until the issue is fix with no effect on performance(fingers crossed).

stl_burner
    Thanks for the update! You definitely got further on the phone than I did. Coincidentally, my fork went to Fox warranty on Friday. I wonder what they did for the folks that have already received theirs back. I wonder what they'll do to mine.

BTW, I was definitely also having trouble getting more than 130mm of 160mm of travel. No vol spacers, kept lowering the pressure, wide open high and low speed comp, etc.

mtbr member
    Just to be clear: The usable range is 18 clicks from open. Consider 18 clicks from open to be fully closed and adjust back from there. So if I had taken my fork out today to do some tuning without this info I potentially would have been making no adjustment to the fork because I would have been adjusting off of the physical hard stop at 33 clicks.

mtbr member
    I get my fork back today. Tech on the phone said I got a damper swap but was mum as to why. Tried sending a separate email but no reply yet. Your explanation sounds way better than the one I was given. The told me to go 16 clicks from closed as my usable range. Definitely not because it felt like garbage. I think we are gonna see a voluntary recall like the x2

Yeah, I think we will see a recall too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update! You definitely got further on the phone than I did. Coincidentally, my fork went to Fox warranty on Friday. I wonder what they did for the folks that have already received theirs back. I wonder what they'll do to mine.

BTW, I was definitely also having trouble getting more than 130mm of 160mm of travel. No vol spacers, kept lowering the pressure, wide open high and low speed comp, etc.
    Ill keep you guys posted on what is happening with my fork. If I was you; if they do a recall or offer a fix I would get it done regardless of the warranty work done previously.

stl_burner
    I agree, and thanks!

Ill keep you guys posted on what is happening with my fork. If I was you; if they do a recall or offer a fix I would get it done regardless of the warranty work done previously.

mtbr member
    So I just got my fork back. Eh still pretty dissapointed. HSC clicks can still be turned past 16-18 clicks but they do get noticable harder. I wouldn't call it a stop but more like increased force. . LSC seems to match with the tuning guide now. Now it does feel a lot better with a push test but for now I'm just gonna take the 18clicks advice untill and official fix is implemented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I sent mine in as well. 37 Clicks originally, felt like utter crap - Had the damper replaced under warranty, was told the additional clicks is an engineering defect and to send it in for a replacement damper.

Got the "repaired" fork back with 29 clicks, I called wondering what they serviced as it was still way off from 16 clicks.

I was then told the manual is incorrect and you should have 18 clicks of usable range and to not go past 18 clicks, there is no "stop" engineered into it.

So pretty much had a new fork ripped apart to end up with the same defective damper, complete, waste of time. Wait for a proper recall, right now you will most likely just get the same defective damper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

18 clicks from Open? Further back in this thread it was 18 clicks from Closed. Which is it?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    18 clicks from Open? Further back in this thread it was 18 clicks from Closed. Which is it?
    Once more. To clarify. Turn your HSC to the fully open position. Now turn it 18 clicks clockwise. This is fully closed and is your usable range of adjustment. Adjust as you would normally from the "fully closed" position. Please dont make me draw pictures

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    I'm considering this new fork on my next frame so tuned into the thread.

(deleted content)

I'd like to see a review on the new Fox vs new Lyric.
    Last edited by Miker J; 08-16-2018 at 04:57 AM.

mtbr member
    I was told today as well on a follow up call with fax as my "fixed"damper had extra clicks still. He stated from closed. However in my personal tests and opinion, I think it should be from open as it seems to feel better for me and that is how I will choose to use it for now
    Once more. To clarify. Turn your HSC to the fully open position. Now turn it 18 clicks clockwise. This is fully closed and is your usable range of adjustment. Adjust as you would normally from the "fully closed" position. Please dont make me draw pictures

mtbr member
    I was told today as well on a follow up call with fax as my "fixed"damper had extra clicks still. He stated from closed. However in my personal tests and opinion, I think it should be from open as it seems to feel better for me and that is how I will choose to use it for now

I spoke with the US service manager. Unless I completely miss heard him I asked him to clarify and he told me from open there are 18 clicks. 18 being the "stop". The extra clicks past 18 are on the closed end of the adjustment. I will call him again tomorrow to make double triple double sure. IF I am hearing one thing from one person and others are hearing different from others Fox needs to get their story straight. FWIW the guy I talked to said he was the one who discovered the cause of the issue.

mtbr member
    I think at this point it's alarming we are not getting consistency. I would agree with more of what you heard from my personal tests and that's how I will run it. I'm Shure it won't be long before we here from fox worldwide about this
    I spoke with the US service manager. Unless I completely miss heard him I asked him to clarify and he told me from open there are 18 clicks. 18 being the "stop". The extra clicks past 18 are on the closed end of the adjustment. I will call him again tomorrow to make double triple double sure. IF I am hearing one thing from one person and others are hearing different from others Fox needs to get their story straight. FWIW the guy I talked to said he was the one who discovered the cause of the issue.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    There is a heap of contradictions here. Normally, with any suspension, all adjustments are made from fully closed. Think about it, closed is closed, the only real known datum, so all measurements are from there.

mtbr member
    The contradictions are coming from fox. And really you can just as easily say open is open. I mean if closed was really closed why are you still able to cycle the fork?
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    There is a heap of contradictions here. Normally, with any suspension, all adjustments are made from fully closed. Think about it, closed is closed, the only real known datum, so all measurements are from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    FWIW: I was told to turn the HSC knob to full open and then turn it back 18 clicks. The rest of the clicks don't do anything.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast