2018 Pike luftkappe settings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

2018 Pike luftkappe settings

hey fellas
    would you mind sharing your settings with your pikes i'm not overly happy with mine but it does tend to dive in the mid support area
    im 161lb 73kg
    zero tokens luftkappe 58psi 6 clicks of rebound off full fast and 5 clicks of lsc
    i'm thinking i might ditch a token and dump up the psi to 65 try that.
    please share your set up
    Last edited by turner_nz; 09-06-2019 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What travel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
    What travel?
    Good point! 160mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The luftkappe without volume spacers was too progressive in a 160mm Pike for me. I feel like the Debonair upgrade worked better.

I'd try zero spacers and more pressure. I was at 85 psi @ 200lb riding weight. Always rode well with the Luftkappe but I could never use the last 40 mm of travel. Debonair at same pressure felt the same in the mid stroke but would give up another 20mm of travel.

Edit: could have swore you said it had two tokens in it and you were going to remove one but now it says zero tokens but you are going to remove one???

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    75 kg
    Burnished bushings
    20psi front tyre
    45 lb/in vorsprung smashpot kit
    Rebound -11 clicks
    Push HC97 compression unit lsc-23 hsc -16

When it was debonair sprung I had -
    60 psi
    Reb -11
    Custom compression stack with lsc -5 to -10

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    you have 2 possibilities. Proper initial then unable to bottom or too soft initial but can bottom thats too progressive. Tokens wont help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    58 is pretty low with the luftkappe, 65 is more what I would expect, rebound around -11

Even with a luftkappe the pike isnít as sensitive as a lyrik can be, what is it you are particularly looking for?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    58 is pretty low with the luftkappe, 65 is more what I would expect, rebound around -11

Even with a luftkappe the pike isnít as sensitive as a lyrik can be, what is it you are particularly looking for?
    Maybe I'm trying to get a lyrik out of a pike but I just can't seem to get the bike to feel like it holds a good line, on small rocky fast trials it gets so overwhelmed and the fork gets crazy harsh almost further down the track it builds up harshness. Again I'm 75kg I tried running 3clicks lsc 65psi on Saturday with 2 tokens and it was extremely harsh had rebound about middle. Think I might try no tokens 60psi and maybe 8 odd clicks on lsc next.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have the pike 2017. What upgrade kit should I order?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    after my experience i different fork

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by turner_nz View Post
    Maybe I'm trying to get a lyrik out of a pike but I just can't seem to get the bike to feel like it holds a good line, on small rocky fast trials it gets so overwhelmed and the fork gets crazy harsh almost further down the track it builds up harshness. Again I'm 75kg I tried running 3clicks lsc 65psi on Saturday with 2 tokens and it was extremely harsh had rebound about middle. Think I might try no tokens 60psi and maybe 8 odd clicks on lsc next.
    Yeah I would be going to zero tokens. 2 + the luftkappe is pretty damn progressive
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You keep saying you are going to take out a token and lower pressure...that's the wrong way.

Just take out all the tokens and leave pressure at 65psi. Reduce your LSC and Rebound too. Spunds like you are packing up if it gets more harsh the more into a line you get.

But again, the Pike @ 160mm with the Luftkappe was VERY progressive. IMO, the Debonair piston worked better in that configuration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    turns out i had no tokens in there... dam this fork

mtbr member
    hey fellas
    would you mind sharing your settings with your pikes i'm not overly happy with mine but it does tend to dive in the mid support area
    im 161lb 73kg
    zero tokens luftkappe 58psi 6 clicks of rebound off full fast and 5 clicks of lsc
    i'm thinking i might ditch a token and dump up the psi to 65 try that.
    please share your set up
    That setting should work nicely for you. Is this the same fork that's had the bushings burnished, the damper tuned and the luftkappe?

I run 60psi in the average Pike/Lyrik. I haven't mapped out the exact air spring differences between that Pike and the other two but they're all pretty close.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yeah mate that's the one, I had zero tokens after all, at 65psi was way to harsh ill try 58 60 psi 5clicks lsc and mid rebound this weekend on the same track. Seems fast repeative small rocks make the fork get really harsh and hard to keep bike on line.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What rim/tyre ares you running and what pressure? Maybe try lowering those a couple of psi, when I run set up days this is like 50% of all the changes I make!

Make sure you just change 1 thing at a time also, start with air pressure and bracket reasonably big changes ie repeat a short section of trail at 50, 55, 60 and 65. You can leave your rebound roughly 13 or 14 clicks out at this stage as you get a feel for the pressure, then bracket it in a couple of clicks once youíre at a good pressure

mtbr member
    Yeah mate that's the one, I had zero tokens after all, at 65psi was way to harsh ill try 58 60 psi 5clicks lsc and mid rebound this weekend on the same track. Seems fast repeative small rocks make the fork get really harsh and hard to keep bike on line.
    I run rebound about 5 clicks from open on those.

In your tune we had you tagged as 75kg aggressive so were expecting more air pressure and more damping needed. We have got scope to go softer.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Trek remedy 2017 standard bontrager wheelset I'm running 23psi front tire 25back, yeah I've lost weight sitting round 72kg geared up at the mo wonder if that doesn't help. Think I'll grab the shock pump and smash the same section of trail like you say. Come on daylight savings!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would suggest dropping the front tyre down to 20 psi as another thing to try, appropriate tyre pressure means the suspension doesnít have to move as far to fully absorb the bump

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    thanks johnny i'll give that a go also. i'll update after this weekend !

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    i was going to run lower tire pressure but i thought for now i'll keep 23psi in the front as i always have.

1st lap tried 50psi rebound middle and 5lsc but 50psi was way to soft blew through 85% of travel just on a short climb out of the saddle so i stopped and added 5psi straight away it sat up in the travel better, got to the bottom and it felt OK not very harsh maybe a little but just blew through its travel just pumping the track, got to the bottom checked the psi and it was reading 46psi.... strange i worked pumping the fork through the travel etc and extended it fully (foot on the rim pulling it to full extension) when i added the 5 extra psi.

2nd lap so tried 55 psi 5 clicks of lsc ran rebound middle and just climbing and pumping speed through the track im using a good 70% of the travel the last 25-30mm of travel is near unusable and the fork feels harsh. it feels really hard to hold a good line just really jittery what else can i try?

mtbr member
    i was going to run lower tire pressure but i thought for now i'll keep 23psi in the front as i always have.

1st lap tried 50psi rebound middle and 5lsc but 50psi was way to soft blew through 85% of travel just on a short climb out of the saddle so i stopped and added 5psi straight away it sat up in the travel better, got to the bottom and it felt OK not very harsh maybe a little but just blew through its travel just pumping the track, got to the bottom checked the psi and it was reading 46psi.... strange i worked pumping the fork through the travel etc and extended it fully (foot on the rim pulling it to full extension) when i added the 5 extra psi.

2nd lap so tried 55 psi 5 clicks of lsc ran rebound middle and just climbing and pumping speed through the track im using a good 70% of the travel the last 25-30mm of travel is near unusable and the fork feels harsh. it feels really hard to hold a good line just really jittery what else can i try?
    Send it in so I can test ride it and probably get you a 30% softer tune.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    cool i'll post it down monday

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    lucky guy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikon255 View Post
    lucky guy
    Mrs Dougal is stealing my Mezzer on Sunday. So this will fill the gap.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    id love to try a mezzer, maybe next bike.....was tempted to buy a mezzer 29er fork run it on the remedy till i order a 2020 canyon strive...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I donít think too much compression damping is your problem, at 5 clicks from open there is not a lot of damping there regardless of the shim stack setting

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    id love to try a mezzer, maybe next bike.....was tempted to buy a mezzer 29er fork run it on the remedy till i order a 2020 canyon strive...
    get it and then put in on strive

mtbr member
    How's it riding now?
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    only managed to get out twice so far in the wet so unable to go to fast BUT its feeling miles better able to run higher psi without harshness so far so good! will update later to confirm