2018 Pike OR 2018 Push Fox 34 Factory?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

2018 Pike OR 2018 Push Fox 34 Factory?

I'll be looking to upgrade the 2017 Fox 34 Performance (GRIP damper) on my 2017 Fuel EX in the future. I've read a lot of great things about the 2018 Pike. But I've also heard that a Push Industries built Factory 34 is also great. Probably even better now that the 2018 34s have EVOL. I know the 34 is lighter than the Pike. But the stock Pike is cheaper by about $100 bucks and also shed a little bit of weight compared to the 2017 model. At this price point, I may as well get the best I can afford.

I'd like to keep the travel the same at 130mm. It is a trail bike and I have to do some climbs in my local trails. The local trails are generally smooth single track with sections of rocks and roots. Lots of rolling hills, and nothing too crazy technical. I do plan on taking my bike to the mountains out west some time, so I'd like a fork that can handle a variety of different terrain well. A jack of all trades, so to speak.

Does any one have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    IMO the 34 is superior in every way and getting it from PUSH means you get it tuned to your weight/bike/riding style, which is worth it alone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    IMO the 34 is superior in every way and getting it from PUSH means you get it tuned to your weight/bike/riding style, which is worth it alone.
    Can you explain why the 34 is better than the Pike? I've never ridden them back to back. And the Pike I have ridden wasn't set up for my weight.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    From the few reviews I have seen it looks like the Pike is taking the cake in the trail category. I just watched one this morning from bike radar.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Being a big Fox fan I would pick the Pike over the 34. A 36 RC2 I would likely take over the Pike because on the H/L compression external adjustments.

I had a 2017 Pike RCT3 150mm, liked it, worked very well, then picked up a 2018 Pike RCT3 160mm, like it even more. The bigger neg air spring, is an improvement as it the mid position (open/pedal/firm), you can actually ride with it. I usually ride with the fork open but forgot to change back after one longer road climb where I put into the pedal position. Needless to say I was 1/2 down the trail before I realized that the fork was a little stiffer in the travel then usual. Faster yes, but not as plush.

Couldn't find a RC2 Fox (Float or Talas) anywhere near the price of the Pike, so I went with the Pike and have been very happy with the performance. A great AM fork. No creaks, no flex it just works.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I understand how getting your current 34 pushed wouldn't be the cheapest option?

In my experience custom valved suspension components trump off the shelf components every time. And not by a little.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how getting your current 34 pushed wouldn't be the cheapest option?

In my experience custom valved suspension components trump off the shelf components every time. And not by a little.
    The Performance has a different damper compared to the Factory. The FIT4 in the Factory is supposedly the superior damper. Also, the 2018 forks have the EVOL lower legs which should help with suppleness and small bump sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    The Performance has a different damper compared to the Factory. The FIT4 in the Factory is supposedly the superior damper. Also, the 2018 forks have the EVOL lower legs which should help with suppleness and small bump sensitivity.
    I realize the year to year changes. My point was if push works on your current year damper/air spring that seems like the clear choice to me. With that said I have not gotton on push's site to see what they do & do not tune currently.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I realize the year to year changes. My point was if push works on your current year damper/air spring that seems like the clear choice to me. With that said I have not gotton on push's site to see what they do & do not tune currently.
    The GRIP damper is fairly new. I'd rather have something that's tried and true like the FIT4 in the Factory.

Also, having a spare is nice to have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am also looking to upgrade my fork. Is there a RockShox pike available with 140mm travel for the 2017 Fuel EX 8 27.5+? If

Also it seems from the Fox website, that if i want to get a new fork the only option is the factory 34 with 27.5+ wheels. While that seems like the best fork, i was hoping there was a slightly less expensive option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    I'll be looking to upgrade the 2017 Fox 34 Performance (GRIP damper) on my 2017 Fuel EX in the future. I've read a lot of great things about the 2018 Pike. But I've also heard that a Push Industries built Factory 34 is also great. Probably even better now that the 2018 34s have EVOL. I know the 34 is lighter than the Pike. But the stock Pike is cheaper by about $100 bucks and also shed a little bit of weight compared to the 2017 model. At this price point, I may as well get the best I can afford.

I'd like to keep the travel the same at 130mm. It is a trail bike and I have to do some climbs in my local trails. The local trails are generally smooth single track with sections of rocks and roots. Lots of rolling hills, and nothing too crazy technical. I do plan on taking my bike to the mountains out west some time, so I'd like a fork that can handle a variety of different terrain well. A jack of all trades, so to speak.

Does any one have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    What don't you like about your current fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The first questions everyone should be asking is what you donít like about your current fork, how big you are, and what your current settings are. It is entirely possible your fork isnít set up well for you, something a new fork will also suffer from unless set up properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    It doesnít look like it from the replies, but does somebody know anything about the tuning options on a fox 34 Performance?

mtbr member
    How about stiffens between these 2?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Bump. Like Travis asked can anyone compare the stiffness directly between a pike and a 34? I see avalanche makes a cartridge for the 34. Putting that in the 34 chassis will blow away the stock dampening in almost any other fork.

Iím looking at a new bike at $3k with a 34 in the build or $4400 for a 36 factory

ZEN RIDER!
    I'm curious as the the difference is stiffness between the 2 also and the difference in axle to crown.
    I know with Fox you don't have to worry about warranty issues or getting parts. I've heard a few negative things about Sram in comparison.
    Life in every breath

ZEN RIDER!
    Found this review: 2018 Rockshox Pike RCT3 | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

"The Pike is noticeably stiffer, more supple on small chatter, and just as supportive through the mid stroke. "

And you can run 2.8 tires on the Pike and the weight difference is only 40 grams.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member

Not intending to hijack, just expand the thread - by throwing the MRP Ribbon (air spring and at 120 or 130) into the mix of comparison. Anyone with experience with all three?

Iím studying and shopping these three. Desiring small bump suppleness as well as end stroke ramp up for short up down often rocky techy use. Weekend warrior and occasional XC racer with a flexy 32 120. 160#

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Not intending to hijack, just expand the thread - by throwing the MRP Ribbon (air spring and at 120 or 130) into the mix of comparison. Anyone with experience with all three?

Iím studying and shopping these three. Desiring small bump suppleness as well as end stroke ramp up for short up down often rocky techy use. Weekend warrior and occasional XC racer with a flexy 32 120. 160#

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!
    I would take a Ribbon in a heartbeat over either Pike or 34. I would also suggest looking at the DVO Sapphire and Manitou Mattoc (formerly Magnum).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.