2018 EVOL air spring in 2017 Fox 34?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

2018 EVOL air spring in 2017 Fox 34?

I haven't been able to locate any info on putting a 2018 Evol air spring into a 2017 Fox 34 fork. I would assume this is possible, but I just thought I'd ask. Of course I could just ask Fox, but I also wanted to know what you guys think of the new Evol air spring, and if you think it's even worth changing. The fork performs admirably, but if there's something better out there....
    I need to service it anyways. It's never been serviced and I got it for Christmas 10 months ago, so I'm sure it really needs it. If you think it's worth it I'll go ahead and change out the air spring while I'm at it.
    By the way it's 120mm on a Santa Cruz Tallboy 2.

Thanks!
    Hollis

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Doesn't work. I think the '18 Fox fork gets the air to the negative chamber thru a channel cut on the inside of the fork stanchion. You can't retrofit that.

Look at MRPs FulFill, it does the same think, but better. And only cost $50.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Doesn't work. I think the '18 Fox fork gets the air to the negative chamber thru a channel cut on the inside of the fork stanchion. You can't retrofit that.

Look at MRPs FulFill, it does the same think, but better. And only cost $50.

Good luck.
    Does it exist for Fox34? I see only the 36 version: https://www.mrpbike.com/shop/#!/FulF...egory=20803113

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    Does it exist for Fox34? I see only the 36 version: https://www.mrpbike.com/shop/#!/FulF...egory=20803113
    Only the ramp control exists for the 34 as the 34 has had a dimpled stanchion since the 2016 model year. The 36 has only just caught up with the 32/34/40 from 2016.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ok well I guess I'll just leave it as is. It's a great fork. My 2014 Tallboy 2 was a demo bike, and it came with a low end Fox 32. The new 34 is night and day different from the old 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm not really familiar with the latest Fox stuff, but one option may be to buy an air spring rod for a larger fork. For example, if you have 120mm you could buy one for a 130mm or 140mm, and it would give you a larger negative air spring (which is basically what the EVOL is).

The MRP thing is cool but it really just allows you to increase your negative air spring pressure, it doesn't change the size of the air spring.

Don't take my word for it...maybe someone else can chime in.

Ramp control, on the other hand, is the greatest thing ever invented.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Yeah, very interested in the MRP ramp control

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm not really familiar with the latest Fox stuff, but one option may be to buy an air spring rod for a larger fork. For example, if you have 120mm you could buy one for a 130mm or 140mm, and it would give you a larger negative air spring (which is basically what the EVOL is).
    Nope you cannot do that.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    yep for the fox 34 the ramp control is only "easy to adjust tokens" while for the fox36 you get the additional stuff.

im also guessing it doesnt make sense for newer 36 which have the evol/larger negative chamber (just like newer 34s, though these got it before the 36)

for the record i personally have a 140mm fox34 to which i added a 150mm rod/shaft, which from a feeling perspective just added 10mm of travel (ie "small bump" stuff feels exactly the same)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The MRP Ramp control is not the same as tokens. It is a secondary air chamber with blow off adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    The MRP Ramp control is not the same as tokens. It is a secondary air chamber with blow off adjustment.
    Ramp control cartridge has a metered orifice, not a blow off valve, right?
    Do the math.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Ramp control cartridge has a metered orifice, not a blow off valve, right?
    MRP is a metered orifice that gives you speed sensitive bottom out control and is adjustable on the fly.
    In other words:
    hard hits = small air volume (fast)
    g outs = large air volume (Slow)
    some people like it and it's adjustable on the fly.
    I haven't tried one, but given how it function's I don't think it would suit my riding style. Seems like mid travel support for braking would be to soft.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm looking for a shorter travel shaft (130 instead of 150) for my 32mm 2017 Float. I was on the phone with Fox sales rep 2 days ago and he convinced me that 2018 Evol air shaft will work just fine in my fork and recommended to get the new one. It's been ordered by my LBS today.

It seems to me that air shaft is only difference between 2017 and 2018. Sales rep also said that I don't need different damper tune or anything else.

What would not work? Did you try to call Fox?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You have a 150mm Fox 32?

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis Prince View Post
    You have a 150mm Fox 32?
    Fox 32 Float Performance 26 2017 150mm, 15X100MM, Tapered (find on Jensen)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cool I just didn't realize they made a 32 with that much travel.

Cool I just didn't realize they made a 32 with that much travel.
    They never should have.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    According to this article you can upgrade your 34 to an EVOL air spring.

I intend to do so when the time comes.

Fox Factory Tuning programme makes your old suspension perform like new - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the info. I'll contact Fox and let you guys know

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Fox told me that my 2017 Fox 34 already has the Evol air spring.

Fox told me that my 2017 Fox 34 already has the Evol air spring.
    Mine didn't I just took it apart last week.
    difference
    Testing New 2018 FOX Suspension ‚Äď Flow Mountain Bike
    Where to buy
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...air-shaft-2018

mtbr member
    May 2012
    According to this you dont just want the new air shaft but also the new damper, which i can't see anywhere

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You can very well put in the the EVOL air spring into a 2017 model, but be able to get full advantage of it, you need the new 2018 damper tune as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Slightly off topic. I have a 2018 34 EVOL 130 mm fork and have had trouble from the start dialing it in. I am unable to get the rebound set at speed in rocky terrain, feels like a rock through the travel. Changed the oil/dust wipers after 12-15 hours of riding, removed and added tokens, etc... Next step is to change out the air cartridge to a 140mm and see if that helps. Compared to the last couple Pikes, this is disappointing and quite baffling. Anyone else having this issue or any suggestions?

New damper is just a slightly lighter tune. You should be able to adjust your current fork into an acceptable range unless you are really light. When they tested it in the article they didn't have the air pressure set right. They complanded of bottoming which you will get without increasing the air pressure about 5 psi.
    Heavy or aggressive riders will be better off with the 2017 damper regardless of the air spring.
    Negative only significantly affects the first 20-30% of travel. After that spring rate is identical.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I see - at 40USD i think i might just try. definitely would like a bit more sensitivity in the first part of the travel. I'm around 80kg with water.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Even though the new tune is called "2018" (and the old one is "2016"), I recall they initially announced the new lighter tune with 2017 forks, and they announced EVOL spring with 2018 forks. Since they don't mention "2017" tune anymore, maybe the "2018" tune is already applied to 2017 models?

Besides, just picked up 32 130mm EVOL spring from my LBS. Will probably install this weekend.

2017 was an E16 tune and was a good size upgrade. 2018 has a different softer tune called E18 that is very similar to the 2017.

Fox Factory Tuning programme makes your old suspension perform like new - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    May 2012
    According to BR (and the name, E16) - E16 is on 2016 and 2017 forks not just 2017
    I'm guessing E16 +EVOL is actually better than E18+EVOL for some riders anyway!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I used the "EVOL" air shaft with an E16 tune for a couple of days now and uhm, I guess you were right, it's a noticeable difference and I'm happy with the purchase.

Some context:
    - I have a DPS EVOL in the back on a High Tower v1 (ie 135mm, the last 20% of so are quite progressive due to the linkage, the shock tune is quite light)
    - The back always felt both smoother in the upper section of the travel, more progressive (zero token though sometimes I put one token, which is also the max for this shock), and more support mid stroke.
    - The fork is a FIT4 2016 fox 34 w/ a 150mm air shaft and its reasonably sensitive, but more linear (even with 2 tokens) than the shock, which always felt weird because you'd bottom out quicker in the front and tend to balance yourself more backwards (or else, you'd lose front sensitivity by adding more air)
    - I service my stuff every few rides (ie more often than required / as soon as i feel like its losing sensitivity)

Anyway, now its quite balanced and definitely super smooth in the first 20-25% of the fork, yet has enough bottom out resistance (due to the E16 tuning I guess)/more progressive. Finally: with 2 tokens in the fork I found it to be too progressive (after mid stroke there's "a wall") and perfect with 1 token for most of my riding, which includes small jumps/drops but nothing too crazy.

larger negative camber = more sag at same psi.
    More psi to get same sag = too much bottom out resistance.
    Removing a spacer and adding even more psi to get desired sag = very linear fork with good mid stroke support and same bottom out.
    Damping can be tuned softer by a click or two on both compression and rebound. You get the compression support from the spring and the spring rate spike at full travel is less so less rebound can control the fork easier.

e16 rebound is the same as e18, only the compression tune is softer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    larger negative camber = more sag at same psi.
    More psi to get same sag = too much bottom out resistance.
    Removing a spacer and adding even more psi to get desired sag = very linear fork with good mid stroke support and same bottom out.
    Damping can be tuned softer by a click or two on both compression and rebound. You get the compression support from the spring and the spring rate spike at full travel is less so less rebound can control the fork easier.

e16 rebound is the same as e18, only the compression tune is softer.
    Do you know if the 2017 fit grip dampers also have the e16 tune or is i just the fit4?
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Do you know if the 2017 fit grip dampers also have the e16 tune or is i just the fit4?
    Only the Fit4.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Completely different damper so you canít compare the tunes. You could see the difference if you had a fork dyno, but very few people have them because of cost (I believe Push has one).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Only the Fit4.
    Completely different damper so you canít compare the tunes. You could see the difference if you had a fork dyno, but very few people have them because of cost (I believe Push has one).
    Thank you both for the info. Do you, or anybody, know if the 2018 evol air shaft assembly would work well with a 2017 Fox 34 performance with the grip damper?

On the fox website, the 2018 Fox 34 performance w/ grip don't appear to have the Evol sticker on the crown like the performance elite and factory lines.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thank you both for the info. Do you, or anybody, know if the 2018 evol air shaft assembly would work well with a 2017 Fox 34 performance with the grip damper?

On the fox website, the 2018 Fox 34 performance w/ grip don't appear to have the Evol sticker on the crown like the performance elite and factory lines.
    Unfortunately Fox does not have any parts diagrams online for the 2017-2018 forks. It appears they use the same lowers for all the 34 forks, so it is likely they are interchangeable. The best way to tell is to pull the fork apart and see what air shaft is in there.

I'm 99% sure all fox 34 forks use the same CSU design with different coatings. Air springs should all be interchangeable and an evol will work.
    One thing to note is that when I pulled apart my fork to swap CSU's the negative spring was 50% filled with slick honey and gold fluid from factory assembly. I cleaned it out and lubed it appropriately. This changed the sag point and air spring feel. At the same pressure I had 3-4mm more sag and was using all of my travel. I have had to bump the PSI by 3.5 to get back to sag point. Fork now feels better on small/medium bumps.

edit 2018 rhythm forks are different.
    Last edited by alexbn921; 11-28-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm 99% sure all fox 34 forks use the same CSU design with different coatings. Air springs should all be interchangeable and an evol will work.
    One thing to note is that when I pulled apart my fork to swap CSU's the negative spring was 50% filled with slick honey and gold fluid from factory assembly. I cleaned it out and lubed it appropriately. This changed the sag point and air spring feel. At the same pressure I had 3-4mm more sag and was using all of my travel. I have had to bump the PSI by 3.5 to get back to sag point. Fork now feels better on small/medium bumps.
    I had the same issue on my 34. Unlike the normal situation where not enough lube is used, someone at the factory went nuts on mine. There was probably 5cc of grease in the negative chamber. It felt better after, but still ordered the 2018 air unit, as it was only $40 and will hopefully get me closer to the feel I want.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had the same issue on my 34. Unlike the normal situation where not enough lube is used, someone at the factory went nuts on mine. There was probably 5cc of grease in the negative chamber. It felt better after, but still ordered the 2018 air unit, as it was only $40 and will hopefully get me closer to the feel I want.

Please update with impressions. GRIP damper?

thx
    Oren

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OrenPerets View Post
    Please update with impressions. GRIP damper?

thx
    Oren
    Will do. FIT 4.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Definitely better. Less dive and able to get nearly full travel. I still wish there was more negative volume, so I could run a bit more pressure and take out the remaining spacers. That said, I like a fork that is soft off the top, with the ramp up about 1/3 in the travel and then pretty linear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Would the 18 air shaft work in a 17 Rhythm 34? I think I need to take mine apart and see how much grease/oil is in the negative chamber. I'm running about 6-8 psi less than recommended for my weight to get enough sag and have yet to use the last inch of travel.

Looks like a different part number for it. If you're not using enough travel then you should take out a spacer and increase your air pressure.
    https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=860

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Looks like a different part number for it. If you're not using enough travel then you should take out a spacer and increase your air pressure.
    This. And clean the negative chamber in the one you have. The 2018 Evol makes an improvement, but it isnít night and day. Even with the improvements I still am not that fond of my 34 and will likely be replacing it with a DVO Sapphire or Mattoc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My 140mm has no volume spacers! Thanks for the link.
    I'm definitely gonna have to see how much oil/grease is in the negative side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm not seeing a 140mm 29er option.

Maybe the 27.5 140mm would work?

Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    My 140mm has no volume spacers! Thanks for the link.
    I'm definitely gonna have to see how much oil/grease is in the negative side.
    What? My 130 came with 3 and I added 1 more. How are you not using all of the travel. something seems wrong. 140mm should have 2 spacers stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a 29er 34 Rhythm model. According to Fox, it comes with no spacers.

Edit: I've removed the air cap and verified; no volume spacers.
    Last edited by not2shabby; 11-29-2017 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hmmmm, looking at the schematic drawing for the Rhythm air spring, it looks just like the 2018 updated one....

Edit: the drawing is of an 18 model though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I haven't been able to locate any info on putting a 2018 Evol air spring into a 2017 Fox 34 fork.
    Hollis
    The 120mm Fox 34s on my bike carry the C8SD code and according to the Fox distributors over here they can be upgraded to the new Evol air shaft..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm considering updating the air shaft on my Fox 34. Overall the fork performs pretty well, but I've never been happy with the small bump sensitivity. It was originally 120mm, and I had PUSH install a 130mm shaft and custom tune it for me. This helped a little, but I'm still not satisfied with the small bump compliance. Would the new EVOL air shaft help this?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I put the 2018 evol 130mm in my 2017 120mm 34 fork, without changing the tune. Removed air spacers to get to the correct factory recommendation for the 130mm 2018 model. Feels a bit softer and doesn't hammer my wrists as much, but still fighting a bit of brake dive. Overall a good upgrade for teh money.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just installed the 2018 air spring (F34 130mm) that was ordered from Fox. My fork is 2016 model and has what they call "single wound Hoopster style retaining ring". New kit came with the "double wound flat spring", but it's clearly the F32 size. It just slides into the stanchion. Going to contact Fox about this.

Does anybody know if the double wound flat spring is required with the EVOL shaft? My guess will be yes because the part that contacts the retainer is now plastic and likely need wider spring for proper support.

I used my stock single hoop ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Fox 34 150mm 27.5 Grip Damper 2017
    Giant Trance 2
    After disassemble it appears my fork has evol air spring already installed and Ill order this one or similar from another site

Fox 34 Evol 160mm
    cyclinic.com.au/products/fox-racing-34mm-evol-air-shaft-assembly-2019?variant=48328900616[/url]

TIP FOR ALL FLOAT FORKS..

AFTER SERVICE OF FORK

5 OR 10CC of Fox oil in air chamber.can't remember which .
    ...Close top..
    ...turn fork upsidedown leave it sit for a few minutes then air it up..

What's happening
    When FORK IS aired in upright position

Oil On TOP OF PISTON IS GETTING BLOWN INTO AIRNEGATIVE.. fillin air negative ..making it small
    Also future dickin around with air pressure is fillin up air negative with oil..

No way that thick fox oil is migrating through dimple on its own

So when I receive above shaft ill inform you of success or failure..
    Tim McDroid

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    Just installed the 2018 air spring (F34 130mm) that was ordered from Fox. My fork is 2016 model and has what they call "single wound Hoopster style retaining ring". New kit came with the "double wound flat spring", but it's clearly the F32 size. It just slides into the stanchion. Going to contact Fox about this.

Does anybody know if the double wound flat spring is required with the EVOL shaft? My guess will be yes because the part that contacts the retainer is now plastic and likely need wider spring for proper support.
    finally what is the correct way? I m ready to change my 2016 airshaft with 2018 and I don't know what to do with this rings washers...

The new air shaft will come ready to install. The double or single spring is used to retain the air shaft in the lower leg. It is the only part that you will need to reuse internally. If the new fits you can use it instead.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by antongial View Post
    finally what is the correct way? I m ready to change my 2016 airshaft with 2018 and I don't know what to do with this rings washers...
    Fox told me the original single wound spring is fine. Have been riding it for about half a year. No problems so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    thank you guys!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Fox Rhythm 150 to 160 and damper fix

Fox 34 Rhythm 150mm
    Try taking damper out and give bike a ride.
    My upper compression damper unit has tension on shims all the time causing no small bump compliance..
    Plastic retainer for oil adds 1/16 and piston screws in too far needs to be shimmed to allow space when top knob is in open position..That's mine..

When I compresse my fork and let go of handle bars front tyre leaves the ground..No stiction..no damper.
    With damper fork is slow damping is slow fully opened Knobs

Check yours upper unit
    ..High speed spring should be loose when knob is in open position.

ITop adjuster can be made into high speed low speed adjuster ..
    Low speed by the knob and high speed with the little spring or a different spring...
    Tip
    150mm rhythm airshaft is 20mm bigger than 150mm evol airshaft
    Rhythm has bigger airnegative..

My Question
    air shaft on 36 Fox same size or bigger diameter than fox 34..

If I want 160mm on Rhythm fork I'll need a 180 airshaft and switch the rhythm parts to new 180 shaft..

Good Luck with your mods.

Tip
    If air seal leaks a quick fix wrap once plumbing Teflon tape around plastic pistons and reapply seal..

Tim McDroid
    Last edited by Tim McDroid; 12-29-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    So it sounds like simply upgrading a 2017 Fox 34 with a 2018 air shaft will do the trick to convert it to EVOL. I purchased a 2018 shaft from Fanatik just recently. However, after I bought it, I was informed that the 2019 version is available. From the looks of it, the only difference between the 2018 and 2019 is that the 2019 goes back to a metal top-out bumper as opposed to the plastic one on the 2018. Below are the pictures. Anyone know if there are any performance gains in the 2019 version? I'm assuming the metal was reintroduced for longevity reasons?

2018 Version:
    2018 EVOL air spring in 2017 Fox 34?-fox_34_airspring-2018.jpg

2019 Version:
    2018 EVOL air spring in 2017 Fox 34?-34-airsping-2019.jpg

I'm going to just go with the 2018 as it was about $10 cheaper as it's on sale right now. I can't imagine a huge performance difference between the two.

Demon Cleaner
    I was told by WWC that the 2019 will not fit a 2016. Of course, one doesn't really know until the try it, but I'm going to wait until the plastic ones are availible again. It seems like Fox produced a run of them but most of that's sold out. Jensen is showing availibility again in Feb.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    I was told by WWC that the 2019 will not fit a 2016. Of course, one doesn't really know until the try it, but I'm going to wait until the plastic ones are availible again. It seems like Fox produced a run of them but most of that's sold out. Jensen is showing availibility again in Feb.
    That doesn't make any sense to me and I would reach out to fox to verify. There is no threading and all of the tolerances should be the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Should work as CSU's still share the same part numbers from 2018 to 2019 and 2018 CSU's are the same as 2016.

mtbr member
    What size are you looking for? Fanatik has the 130mm and the 150mm on sale right now of the 2018's. $27.30 plus shipping. Comes out just about $35 when all is said and done.

That doesn't make any sense to me and I would reach out to fox to verify. There is no threading and all of the tolerances should be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Should work as CSU's still share the same part numbers from 2018 to 2019 and 2018 CSU's are the same as 2016.
    Agree here...

Demon Cleaner
    Ya, Iím not convinced the 2019 wonít work but also not willing to be the guinea pig. WWC has my fork serial number now so weíll see. I need 140 so Fanatic wonít work.

mtbr member
    Ya, Iím not convinced the 2019 wonít work but also not willing to be the guinea pig. WWC has my fork serial number now so weíll see. I need 140 so Fanatic wonít work.

Please post up with what WWC tells you on the compatibility of the 2019 shaft with 2016-2017 Fox 34 forks. I think it would help everyone viewing this thread.

mtbr member
    ive just had some work done on my fox '16/17 *plus* 27.5 34. from what i understand it had a different air shaft in it (spec'd down from 140mm to 120mm travel) from the normal 34 of that model year, discovered because i wanted a luftkappe fitted and it wouldnt work - the threading on the shaft was not compatible. the airshaft has now been upgraded i think to the 2019 shaft, but with a luftkappe and fractive tune. getting it back today from tftuned in the uk. i'll post again to confirm the model year for the airshaft upgrade.

the summary is it has gone from being pretty inactive to very active...exactly what i was after!
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I decided to go with a Vorsprung Luftkappe on my 2017 Fox 34. It was originally 120mm travel (29er), then I had a 130mm air shaft installed and had it custom tuned by PUSH. I still wasn't totally happy with its small bump sensitivity, so I was considering installing a 2018 EVOL air spring, but the Luftkappe looks like it has an even larger negative air spring than the Fox EVOL so should help even more with small bump compliance.

I was going to install the Luftkappe myself, but I figured by the time I ordered the special tools, fluids, seals, etc. it wouldn't cost much more to have Vorsprung install it and perform a factory service. I just got it back from them, so I haven't had a chance to install and ride it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    ive just had some work done on my fox '16/17 *plus* 27.5 34. from what i understand it had a different air shaft in it (spec'd down from 140mm to 120mm travel) from the normal 34 of that model year, discovered because i wanted a luftkappe fitted and it wouldnt work - the threading on the shaft was not compatible. the airshaft has now been upgraded i think to the 2019 shaft, but with a luftkappe and fractive tune. getting it back today from tftuned in the uk. i'll post again to confirm the model year for the airshaft upgrade.

the summary is it has gone from being pretty inactive to very active...exactly what i was after!
    The 16/17 used a different head design on the air shaft. The 18 changed this and is 100% compatible with factory forks. It is worth the $30 to upgrade even if you are getting the Luftkappe too. Was a big change in small bump, mid stroke support.

mtbr member
    thanks dude! I went through the spec sheet - I got a 2018 air shaft so no help for the question below after all.
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Demon Cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopshute View Post
    Please post up with what WWC tells you on the compatibility of the 2019 shaft with 2016-2017 Fox 34 forks. I think it would help everyone viewing this thread.
    WWC ended up contacting FOX directly. FOX said the airshaft would work so it sounds like you can use the 18/19 air shafts in the 16/17 forks! Good news and explains why the older upgraded air shafts are hard to find...no need for them!

mtbr member
    Sweet! Nice to confirm the 2019ís will work as well. Just installed the 2018 tonight and everything went smooth. Fork aired up and the negative chamber regulated as expected. My 2018 kit came with an extra washer. Anyone know what thatís used for? My 2017 didnít utilize a washer. Just the retainer spring so I didnít attempt to install the washer.

방랑외국인
    Double check your fork ID with Fox, but they did confirm the 2019 air shaft will work in a 2017 Performance Series 34 FLOAT 29 130 GRIP fork. The 2019 is redesigned with less negative air, so should be a bit more supple off the top. Per Fox's charts, 130 has 3 air volume spacers and 140 has 2. Fox's website is an absolute mess, but I made a list of what's needed to change an Air Shaft and Dust seals.

Obviously many have or create their own tools, but I wanted to make a list 'by the book' as many start without any specialty tools. Total parts price is $334, excluding tax or any shipping. Technically the topcaps torque to 24.8NM and bottom nuts to 5.7NM, you would need BOTH Park Tool Torque wrenches ($108+$125=$233), which would bring the total cost to $516. For comparison my LBS has a winter suspension special of $50 labor, add $75 in parts thats a total of $125. Just thought it was interesting comparison.

820-02-528-KIT (Service Set: 2019 Air Shaft Assy, 2019, 34, 140mm, FLOAT LC NA 2, 1.214 Bore, Al NP) - $35
    803-00-945 (Kit: Dust Wiper, Forx, 34mm, Low Friction, No Flange) - $30
    025-03-010 (Bath Oil, 32oz, 20WT Gold) - $12
    025-03-023 (FOX Suspension Fluid, 32oz, 5WT, Teflon Infused) - $17
    398-00-681 (2002-017 32 Damper-side and ALL 32-34-36-40 Spring-side Removal Tool) - $35
    398-00-682 (2005-017 34-36-40 Damper-side Removal Tool (needed only for 34mm forks)) - $35
    398-00-702 (Tooling: Fork Topcap Socket, 26mm, 3/8") - $25
    398-00-771 (Tooling: Guided Fork Seal Driver, One Piece Seal/Wiper, 34) - $35
    027-00-006 (Tooling: Fox Factory High Pressure Shock Pump with Bleed Valve, 300psi) - $25
    Amazon Bikehand Torque Wrench 2-24NM - $46
    1/4" to 3/8" Drive Socket Adaptor - $5
    Park Tool HMR-8 Hammer - $16
    Buzzy's Slick Honey Tube, 2oz - $18

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Double check your fork ID with Fox, but they did confirm the 2019 air shaft will work in a 2017 Performance Series 34 FLOAT 29 130 GRIP fork. The 2019 is redesigned with less negative air, so should be a bit more supple off the top. Per Fox's charts, 130 has 3 air volume spacers and 140 has 2. Fox's website is an absolute mess, but I made a list of what's needed to change an Air Shaft and Dust seals.

Obviously many have or create their own tools, but I wanted to make a list 'by the book' as many start without any specialty tools. Total parts price is $334, excluding tax or any shipping. Technically the topcaps torque to 24.8NM and bottom nuts to 5.7NM, you would need BOTH Park Tool Torque wrenches ($108+$125=$233), which would bring the total cost to $516. For comparison my LBS has a winter suspension special of $50 labor, add $75 in parts thats a total of $125. Just thought it was interesting comparison.

820-02-528-KIT (Service Set: 2019 Air Shaft Assy, 2019, 34, 140mm, FLOAT LC NA 2, 1.214 Bore, Al NP) - $35
    803-00-945 (Kit: Dust Wiper, Forx, 34mm, Low Friction, No Flange) - $30
    025-03-010 (Bath Oil, 32oz, 20WT Gold) - $12
    025-03-023 (FOX Suspension Fluid, 32oz, 5WT, Teflon Infused) - $17
    398-00-681 (2002-017 32 Damper-side and ALL 32-34-36-40 Spring-side Removal Tool) - $35
    398-00-682 (2005-017 34-36-40 Damper-side Removal Tool (needed only for 34mm forks)) - $35
    398-00-702 (Tooling: Fork Topcap Socket, 26mm, 3/8") - $25
    398-00-771 (Tooling: Guided Fork Seal Driver, One Piece Seal/Wiper, 34) - $35
    027-00-006 (Tooling: Fox Factory High Pressure Shock Pump with Bleed Valve, 300psi) - $25
    Amazon Bikehand Torque Wrench 2-24NM - $46
    1/4" to 3/8" Drive Socket Adaptor - $5
    Park Tool HMR-8 Hammer - $16
    Buzzy's Slick Honey Tube, 2oz - $18
    Wow... yeah, I guess if youíve never serviced your fork at home before you MIGHT need all of this stuff? But I would think the folks who didnít have any of these types of tools would be better off having a shop do the conversion. I would assume you would pay $50 for labor and then would only need to buy the shaft and new dust wipers. However, if youíre going to do this yourself, you most likely have these tools and if not, youíd buy them with the intention of using them many more times to rebuild your forks at home.

mtbr member
    If you dont already own a shock pump or a hammer, this procedure is probably not for you

Lots of these parts can be made or gotten much cheaper and you don't have to do a full rebuild with seals.
    Also push seals are much better and don't require a driver to install.
    For instance I just got these and will try them out later this week.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-Fork-Ai...72.m2749.l2649