2015 Fox 36 - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,055 of 1055

Thread: 2015 Fox 36

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Awesome stuff. Thanks rick. Did you find the later shimstack to be less damping?

How did you like the negative air spring mod? Im probably going to have a few machined.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R View Post
    Awesome stuff. Thanks rick. Did you find the later shimstack to be less damping?

How did you like the negative air spring mod? Im probably going to have a few machined.
    The newer tune is notiably less harsh.

No need to machine anything to increase the negative air volume. What length is your fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mines a 150mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hmmm can i just not use the bottom flared piece altogether? Is the lower seal seat the same diameter as the flared piece?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mines a 150mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So that flared piece the 10mm spacer is attached to is the bottom out bumper?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So that flared piece the 10mm spacer is attached to is the bottom out bumper?
    No.

The mods if not done correctly do have the potential to damage the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I guess im not understanding what leaving transfer rod position does if you take out 10mm spacer. You are still allowing 160mm of travel and now have the possibility of rod coming out at full top out. Also, if you are talking about the aluminum piece in between the two seals being removed, then i can see how that increases negative air volume. But i havent really looked at how the top sealhead attaches to it. Got any pictures?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thinking about this more, the only way to get more negative air volume is to machine a new topout bumper that seats the upper sealhead higher in the stanchion

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thinking about this more, the only way to get more negative air volume is to machine a new topout bumper that seats the upper sealhead higher in the stanchion
    The topout bumper is not alloy and removing the 10mm travel limiter still has the fork set at 150mm travel unless the transfer shaft is moved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You mean the black rubber topout bumper, got it. Umm i dont see how the transfer shaft affects travel at all. All that shaft is for equalizing positive and negative at the correct spot. You have to adjust it because it can crash if you put too many travel reducers in or remove too many and come out of the transfer port. From what i can see, the 10mm spacers are the only thing physically limiting travel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey all, my 2015 36 Float RC2 fork is leaking air at the schrader assembly, when I use soapy water, it seems to be coming from where it threads in, figured its an easy fix and put a new assembly in (seal and all) and it still does the same thing?? Any ideas?
    Last edited by monts; 12-13-2016 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    Can “off the shelf” or “stock” 160mm 36’s be extended to 170mm using the 170/180mm air shaft (and maybe the 170 transfer shaft)?

I know Fox’s site says “160 forks cannot be extended past 160mm of travel” And I understand that there are different air shafts but I’m wondering if there is any compatibility between the two. Does the 160 36 share the same uppers and lowers as the 170/180mm 36, meaning the only difference is the air shaft and transfer shaft assemblies?
    Any news on this topic?
    A friend of mine is selling his 26" 2015 TALAS 160 and i would like to drop in an 180mm Float Airspring.
    As far as i can tell, all lower castings are the same 2015 onward...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zangg View Post
    Any news on this topic?
    A friend of mine is selling his 26" 2015 TALAS 160 and i would like to drop in an 180mm Float Airspring.
    As far as i can tell, all lower castings are the same 2015 onward...
    You need the damper rebuilding with a new part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can't extend a 160mm because the stanchions aren't long enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snozz View Post
    You can't extend a 160mm because the stanchions aren't long enough.
    Wrong. The chassis is exactly the same.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Wrong. The chassis is exactly the same.
    There are nicer ways to say that

Something like
    Actually the chassis are the same, what you have to change is........ Or although the chassis are the same you can't because........

A little bit of pleasantries goes a long ways to improving dialogue in forums.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    There are nicer ways to say that

Something like
    Actually the chassis are the same, what you have to change is........ Or although the chassis are the same you can't because........

A little bit of pleasantries goes a long ways to improving dialogue in forums.
    He was stating something that was totally wrong so I corrected him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a 160mm fox 36 and know for a fact it can't be extended past 160. The 170-180mm forks have longer lowers... And most likely uppers as well. This page from fox sure says it can't be done. But if you have some other info I'd love to hear it.
    FORK- 2015-2016 36mm FLOAT Internally Adjusting Fork Travel | Bike Help Center | FOX
    Last edited by murrdogg11; 06-11-2018 at 07:36 AM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    He was stating something that was totally wrong so I corrected him.
    Do you have a source for your information? If you are going to be that bold you should link in some proof.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Do you have a source for your information? If you are going to be that bold you should link in some proof.
    The Fox product documents and the fact I have seen a considerable amount of 36's through the workshop and a 160mm fork uses the same chassis as a 170mm one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Ya thanks for the info dick raper. very informative.
    I have a 160mm fox 36 and know for a fact it can't be extended past 160. The 170-180mm forks have longer lowers... And most likely uppers as well. This page from fox sure says it can't be done. But if you have some other info I'd love to hear it.
    FORK- 2015-2016 36mm FLOAT Internally Adjusting Fork Travel | Bike Help Center | FOX
    Wow way to go with the insults, just because you are totally wrong no need to go around shouting your mouth off.

The air spring is shorter and the damper is shorter but they are only £30 parts max to replace. The lowers and CSU's are all identical. I'd post a link to the part numbers but I cannot be bothered dealing with someone who clearly knows far more....

Biking Like Crazy!

Cool-blue Rhythm

Wow way to go with the insults, just because you are totally wrong no need to go around shouting your mouth off.

The air spring is shorter and the damper is shorter but they are only £30 parts max to replace. The lowers and CSU's are all identical. I'd post a link to the part numbers but I cannot be bothered dealing with someone who clearly knows far more....
    Wow, now I'm confused guys. Is the only difference I need to worry about is the air spring and damper if I want to convert my 160mm Fox 36 29'er fork to , say 170mm or 180mm? That would be cool.
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Fox product documents and the fact I have seen a considerable amount of 36's through the workshop and a 160mm fork uses the same chassis as a 170mm one.
    Why didn't you say that in the first place then?

It is the internet, knowbody knows if you are an expert or a Joey. If you are going to say something like "Wrong" then back your statement up with some proof.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Wow, now I'm confused guys. Is the only difference I need to worry about is the air spring and damper if I want to convert my 160mm Fox 36 29'er fork to , say 170mm or 180mm? That would be cool.
    Not with a 29er but with a 650b fork.

mtbr member

It is the internet, knowbody knows if you are an expert or a Joey. If you are going to say something like "Wrong" then back your statement up with some proof.
    Why would he need to? Rick's posted TONS of quality informative posts in this thread and on mtbr, more than enough for anyone to realize he's not "Joey." If you haven't seen those that's unfortunate, but calling him out is quite a bit out of line IMHO.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Biking Like Crazy!

All I can say is if you follow these forums for a while, then you would know who to believe or trust, and who you should call out! Just say'in!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2014 Knolly Podium

Biking Like Crazy!
    Not with a 29er but with a 650b fork.
    Thanks Rick! Thanks kind of what I thought. I could only wish thou!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2014 Knolly Podium

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Why would he need to? Rick's posted TONS of quality informative posts in this thread and on mtbr, more than enough for anyone to realize he's not "Joey." If you haven't seen those that's unfortunate, but calling him out is quite a bit out of line IMHO.
    ^ This!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2014 Knolly Podium

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    As you can see have been posting in the forums for years. I haven't run into to Rick before and don't know his back ground. However, from with just a little bit of research I can clearly see that he is an expert in this field. But just because you are expert shouldn't mean that you don't have to be civil in your responses.

Maybe I am old fashion but I still think there is something to have a bit of manners.

J:
    160 needs to be beefed up...170 would be too much imo
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My new bike came with a 2017 Fox 36 Performance and even without changing the recommended settings it feels really great. Also it is black!

At last a black Fox 36!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Caused quite a stirr over here...
    Rick can you post the part numbers needed or any link to a technical drawing i can source these from nevertheless?
    I am dealing with Fox germany, which is just a bunch of s%ckers not answering any emails, being a dick on the phone when someone is looking for tech info and so on.... when i already have the part numbers i hope they are willing to sell these to me

Edit:
    Found the drawings on the us website, but still find no alternative rebound shafts or wherever the difference is..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zangg View Post
    Caused quite a stirr over here...
    Rick can you post the part numbers needed or any link to a technical drawing i can source these from nevertheless?
    I am dealing with Fox germany, which is just a bunch of s%ckers not answering any emails, being a dick on the phone when someone is looking for tech info and so on.... when i already have the part numbers i hope they are willing to sell these to me

Edit:
    Found the drawings on the us website, but still find no alternative rebound shafts or wherever the difference is..
    You need this part for the damper:

207-80-002 Cart, Mach, 015 36 170-180 NBO RC2 LW

And then the new air spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Air spring is obvious and an new damper body then, thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Do you follow the Fox recommended rebound settings or are you running it a bit faster?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Could anyone with a 650b Fox 36 close by PM me, I need a few rough measurements from one.

So Cal Slayin'
    Sent you a PM Rick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi again. How many rebound clicks does the Fox 36 have? In the tuning guide the range goes from 0 to 9+ but in reality my Fox 37 2017 has 24 clicks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys. Is there a specific order in which we should position the volume spacers? For example should the blue be on top of the oranges or the other way around?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Hi guys. Is there a specific order in which we should position the volume spacers? For example should the blue be on top of the oranges or the other way around?
    No just put them in however is easiest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Rebound adjust on my fit 4 is completely locked up. Tried working some tri-flow in there after removing the rebound knob and got one more clockwise click, then locked up again. Anyone else experience this? Pulled the cartridge but there was no visible way to fix this without a full teardown.

The fork didn't come with the nice rebound knob cap as ut was an OEM 36. Need to invest in one after this is fixed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by epicxcrider123 View Post
    Rebound adjust on my fit 4 is completely locked up. Tried working some tri-flow in there after removing the rebound knob and got one more clockwise click, then locked up again. Anyone else experience this? Pulled the cartridge but there was no visible way to fix this without a full teardown.

The fork didn't come with the nice rebound knob cap as ut was an OEM 36. Need to invest in one after this is fixed.
    Common problem on Fit 4 dampers. Send the fork back for warranty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I want to rebuild or atleast change the fluid & o-rings on both the damper & air-spring. The fork is a 2015 Fox 36 RC2. Are all 3 of these clamps necessary or does a model exist that can do it all?

803-00-830 Service Set: Tooling: 2014 RC2, Shaft Clamps- Damper
    803-00-147 Kit: Shaft Clamps, FORX, Set #2 -damper
    803-00-084 Kit: Shaft Clamps, FORX, Set #1 (32mm Forx) -Air Spring

Following pages are for ref.
    https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=514
    https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=652

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Common problem on Fit 4 dampers. Send the fork back for warranty.
    Thanks Rick!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looking forward to seeing what changes have been made to the 36 for 2018, we should find out at or just before Sea Otter. I am sure we will see the dropping of the transfer shaft at the very least.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looking forward to seeing what changes have been made to the 36 for 2018, we should find out at or just before Sea Otter. I am sure we will see the dropping of the transfer shaft at the very least.
    Drop the transfer shaft AND the air piston, and drop a titanium spring into it. Gain a few ounces and tons of consistent performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Drop the transfer shaft AND the air piston, and drop a titanium spring into it. Gain a few ounces and tons of consistent performance.
    Na, I'll keep the light weight air and progressiveness.
    14 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey, I hope someone could help me with my problem.
    I was wondering if anybody has tried to convert a 2015 36 RC2 Float 170 27.5" to 29" 160 by switching the casting. I know that the csu of the 2018 models are the same but I couldn`t find any information, neither about the 2015 csu nor the cartridge and air assy.
    Of cause, the german distributor told me that it isn`t possible but that is their common answer to nearly everthing...
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hmmm... for what it's worth, I have a 160mm 27.5 CSU matched up with a 160mm 29er casting. I'm not sure if your 170mm tubes would be too long?
    Intense 951 Evo and Santa Cruz Megatower

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Hey, I hope someone could help me with my problem.
    I was wondering if anybody has tried to convert a 2015 36 RC2 Float 170 27.5" to 29" 160 by switching the casting. I know that the csu of the 2018 models are the same but I couldn`t find any information, neither about the 2015 csu nor the cartridge and air assy.
    Of cause, the german distributor told me that it isn`t possible but that is their common answer to nearly everthing...
    Thanks in advance!
    It will be fine. You just need to add a 10mm spacer to the air spring for 160mm travel and rake will be reduced from 29er standard 51 to 650b standard 44.

mtbr member
    I’m looking for an airshaft for my 36 to increase the travel to 170mm, part number 820-02-324, tried the UK disti who has no idea on when they’ll get some. Anyone else know where I can find one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It will be fine. You just need to add a 10mm spacer to the air spring for 160mm travel and rake will be reduced from 29er standard 51 to 650b standard 44.
    Thank you very much!!!

Will every casting work from 2015 up to now (100x15/20mm of cause) or are there significant differences between the years?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've had my 160mm , 2017 36'ers ,converted to 180mm.Was done by Mojo, at around £90,if anyone is still interested...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456