2013 Fox 34mm Float 160mm CTD: PUSH vs Pike vs. new Fox 36mm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

2013 Fox 34mm Float 160mm CTD: PUSH vs Pike vs. new Fox 36mm

I have last year "infamous" 160 mm Fox 34 Float Factory FIT CTD fork on my Ibis Mojo HD and I am not really happy since the beginning. I am neither aggressive rider nor at expert level, but it always felt diving too much on breaking, bottoming, etc. Added some more suspension fluid, which slightly improved things, but still not up to satisfactory level. So considering following options:
    - PUSH it: seems like a cheapest option, web page describes the improvement for that particular fork with some specific tunes, but was not able to find any review on this option.
    - Exchange to RockShox Pike (probably Dual version, as wish to drop some travel). I guess, it is no brainer, but still is not the cheapest option, as I am not sure that will be able to sell my old Fox for a good price.
    - Wait for new Fox Float 36mm, which is already having some great reviews, but not yet available in shops.

Hardly possible that someone has an experience with all three options, but maybe some thoughts out of the experience? Many thanks in advance!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

2013 Fox 34mm Float 160mm CTD: PUSH vs Pike vs. new Fox 36mm

Since you have it and it is the least expensive option, send it to Push. The correct the problems with the fork and tune it to your weight and riding style at the same time. It is near impossible to find a factory fork that will beat a tuner fork set up for you.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lets say your fork is worth around $350 used on Pinkbike. If you buy a dual air 160mm Pike for $950 that will net cost you $600. An Elite upgrade for your Fox from Push is around $350 shipped. Your fork however won't be worth much more than it is now even with the upgrades. If you plan on keeping the fork for awhile if Push can make it much better then go Push. If you don't think you'll keep either fork more than say 2 years then I'd go with the Pike. If you sell the bike before a couple of years then Push again.

It's really about judging deprecation of a new purchase vs investing $350ish. A pike, new fox 36 or a push 34 elite will all be great.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, one issue I've had in the past deals with the excessive axle to crown of a 160mm fork on a 26" wheeled bike. For some reason this isn't anywhere near as much of an issue with my 29er 160mm fork, but with the 26er I just couldn't keep the ground on the front and keep pedaling uphill if it was too steep. So some kind of travel adjustment might be nice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Having owned a Fox 34 FIT 2013 and 2014, then I had it a Pushed 34 and now I own a 2015 Fox 36 I can comment on this. I'd make the jump and buy the 36 but then it is a lot of cash. A Pushed 34 is good and better than the 2014 FIT, but the 36 beats it in every way IMHO. Better air spring, better chassis, lighter, more composed. Its just better all round.

A far cheaper option might be if you still have the original 2013 CTD FIT cartridge and have not had it upgraded to the 2014 settings is to speak to fox about upgrading it to the latest 2015 7 position trail adjust setup. It should be quite cheap IMHO and probably worth trying first. You could try this alongside a Push top cap for the airside so you can add volume spacers to the air side.

Bodhisattva
    the Push elite tune is fantastic and gives you the ability to independently tune hi and low speed compression. So, you can minimize brake dive with firm slow speed compression while keeping things "plush" with soft high speed compression. It will truly feel like a new fork.

In regards to above comments about resale, I agree that the Push tuned Fox likely will add little to value. Then again, I suspect as soon as the new fox 36 starts flooding the market, the value of Pikes will drop. So it goes.....

The Fastest of Bananas
    Fox will update your dampner for $50. Well worth the money, that with a rebuild, its like a whole new fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks a lot guys for all your replies!!!

We do not have Fox here, but I have checked with local distributor/service center regarding damper upgrade back in spring, and got a negative response. I may try to ask them again, but I guess it is not a cheap option over here...

As for Push Elite - actually planning to send it to TF Tuned in UK, which are sort of a dealer here in Europe, so not sure if they offer that options - I will check. Surely Fox 36 mm would be very nice, but I would need to wait fo hype settle down, prices go down a bit, which means another year or so...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    TF did my Push Elite tune.

Email Mojo suspension in the UK if you don't have a fox dealer where you are, see if they can help you out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aside from a damper upgrade, assuming your fork has the "old" air spring, check into the cost of the 2014 air spring, if it's available for Float forks. Check the Fox website for the marketing speak about how wonderful it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just had the same issue. Replaced my 13 fox 34 with the 15 36. It feels so good I would highly recomend it. I ordered mine from pricepoint when they had their Memorial Day sale, 250 off if u spend over a thousand. So I got the fork for 790 shipped. You may find a deal like that for Labor Day weekend. The fork feels better in every way and it's even 23 grams lighter.