2009 Tora Race Fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2009 Tora Race Fork

I have a 2005 Trek 6500 on which I blew out the stock suspension; a Manitou Axel fork. My local bike shop has a brand new 2009 Rock Shox Tora Race Air fork on sale for $220, which seems like a pretty good deal. I don't know that much about suspension forks, but when I was checking this Tora out, I noticed oil that had been spilled or leaked around the top part of the fork (sort of where the adjustment knobs are). I asked the bike store employee about the oil and he said its normal and sometimes they come out of the box like that when they receive them. I was wondering if any of you could tell me if this oil is anything to worry about before I purchase these. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anybody? haha

mtbr member
    I believe the Tora race is similar to the 2008 Tora 302 Soloair, tunkey damper. If you search, you will see a good deal of damper issue and references to oil in the box. A little bit is not uncommon, but a good bit could be trouble.
    I'd recommend going to PricePoint and getting the Tora 318 Soloair for less than 250. It's damper is much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    I believe the Tora race is similar to the 2008 Tora 302 Soloair, tunkey damper. If you search, you will see a good deal of damper issue and references to oil in the box. A little bit is not uncommon, but a good bit could be trouble.
    I'd recommend going to PricePoint and getting the Tora 318 Soloair for less than 250. It's damper is much better.
    Wrong. The Tora Race is the "XC" version of the 318, so it has the same Motion Control damping as the 318. The 318 and the other numbered models are in the "Trail" category. Check Rock Shox's website for more info http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/crosscountry/tora/#tab1

mtbr member
    Yup, your right. Damper the same as the 318. The only limitation is it can adjust 80/100 where as the 318 can adjust 80/100/130.

Former Bike Wrench
    On the Race, they shortened the stanchions to save a little weight over the 318...that is why it is limited to 100mm of travel.

Its a great fork.

Its not unusual to see a little oil when they come from the box. And obviously it would be warrantied if there is a larger problem. The Motion Control damper has been quite reliable and $220 is a great price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Awesome. Thank you all for your input! I'll most likely go ahead with the purchase then.

Members who have read this thread: 0