2009 RS Revelation 426 dual air- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

2009 RS Revelation 426 dual air

Thoughts on the '09 Revelation 426 Dual Air, non U-turn, with the QR and not the maxle? Looks like almost all (or all) of the reviews are for the u-turn, maxle version.

I'm looking to replace a Pike 454 that is U-turn and Maxle equipped for something a little lighter that has a QR dropout, but hopefully has the Pike plushness. The Pike is perhaps the best feeling fork I've ever owned. This would be used on a Ventana El Ciclon frame. Since the frame is designed around a 140mm fork, I'm thinking the u-turn/travel adjust may not really be needed.

Thoughts? Cambria has them in stock at what appears to be a good price. Pricepoint has the 2009 U-turn version for about $100, but includes a headset (which I don't need.)

err, 27.5+
    It is a fine fork. Maxle is hot right now as everyone jumps on the thru axle bandwagon. But there is nothing wrong with the QR version of the fork.

I saw the fork on Cambria for $499. Not really a great price IME. I got mine from BlueSky cycling for $369, but it looks like they are out now.

If you like the pike, then the revelation will suit you fine. Same internals basically. The revelation is just a bit lighter. And dual air is fine, more of the set and forget. If you find it too tall, you can always get travel reducers and set it at something lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    I saw the fork on Cambria for $499. Not really a great price IME. I got mine from BlueSky cycling for $369, but it looks like they are out now.
    Sounds like exactly the fork I'm looking for. $500 like the lowest price I can find online in a quick search. Pricepoint has the U-turn version for $592, which includes a free headset I don't need.

If it can be had for cheaper, I suppose I'll just wait for now.

Thanks!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Oops, searched again and found it (I think) for $439 for the U-turn version. However, the ad is not entirely clear if it's the QR or maxle version. In fact, on Rock Shox' own website, if you pull up the Revelation, the photo shows a QR version, but the description says the fork comes with the maxle.

All very confusing! I just want the QR version!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Try looking on EBAY. There's a few of them for $4oo with free shipping.

You should just stick with the Pike. Bikes have gotten so good and can be ridden on such challenging terrain that QR forks were never intended for. If you're worried about weight, you may be better off on a 4 inch travel bike. The El Ciclon can take a lot on the trail, use components that'l; take advantage of the bike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead
    Try looking on EBAY. There's a few of them for $4oo with free shipping.

You should just stick with the Pike. Bikes have gotten so good and can be ridden on such challenging terrain that QR forks were never intended for. If you're worried about weight, you may be better off on a 4 inch travel bike. The El Ciclon can take a lot on the trail, use components that'l; take advantage of the bike.
    I did, and found a $400 one with the U-turn. Thanks!

I love the Pike - don't get me wrong. But, for the style of riding I do and the trails I ride 95%of the time, the Pike is overkill. Plus, I plan on using the DT Swiss RWS with it. My thru-axle equipped front wheel is HEAVY and I'm looking to shed some weight (esp. rotating weight) from it. The Revelation is slightly lighter, but the lighter wheel I can use with it (as opposed to the Pike) will be great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just picked a 20mm dual air revelation a couple of weeks ago off ebay for $399 shipped. I am still waiting on some BWW Pure One wheels to come in so I can try it out, and then I want to send it out to PUSH when their new custom valving option comes out in a couple of weeks. I am coming off the Fox Float RL, and was looking for something stiffer with compression adjustably for my IBIS Mojo. Talking with the guys at PUSH I think this is going to be one heck of a set up. Good luck

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fxc3700
    I just picked a 20mm dual air revelation a couple of weeks ago off ebay for $399 shipped. I am still waiting on some BWW Pure One wheels to come in so I can try it out, and then I want to send it out to PUSH when their new custom valving option comes out in a couple of weeks. I am coming off the Fox Float RL, and was looking for something stiffer with compression adjustably for my IBIS Mojo. Talking with the guys at PUSH I think this is going to be one heck of a set up. Good luck
    Ooo - PUSH is going to custom valve the Revelation? Last time I looked, they only were custom valving Fox stuff and the 29'er Rock Shox fork. Looks like my Revelation will be accompanying my rear Fox shock to PUSH!

Sh!t. This means I may never ride my 4" travel Racer X again.

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Ooo - PUSH is going to custom valve the Revelation? Last time I looked, they only were custom valving Fox stuff and the 29'er Rock Shox fork.
    Yes, the Factory Fork System is back on the menu. Not on their website yet, but they did just get all the parts back in stock. You have to call them to schedule it since it isn't on the site yet. I have an appointment to have mine installed early next month I have been riding Pike air and revelation air forks since 2006. Never had any problems. The u-turn air seems to weep a bit at the u-turn knob. But the factory damping isn't ideal for someone my size (about 240lb), so I usually run it with some compression. Without compression they can be a bit easy to dive into travel. I figure that with the Push factory kit this fork will be the cats meow
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Ooo - PUSH is going to custom valve the Revelation?
    Yes, the Factory Fork System is back on the menu. Not on their website yet, but they did just get all the parts back in stock.
    I don't have the images yet, but the completely re-designed Factory Fork System for Rock Shox can now be ordered from the site and is in stock! I'm very biased, but the kit is VERY cool.

Darren

Members who have read this thread: 0