2009 Fox F-100 RLC leaking air- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2009 Fox F-100 RLC leaking air

Hi,
    So I pumped up my brand new 09 fork to 80 psi and took it for a ride. An hour or so into the ride I noticed that my fork seemed soft. I went back to the car and put the pump on it. It was down to like 50 psi. I pumped it up to 100 psi. After another hour or so it seemed solid until I stopped. I heard a hissing sound and a pop. I looked down and saw the left dust seal up about half way between the stanchion and the lowers. I pushed this back in and compressed the fork. It still had air in it but was much softer. I kept riding and this happened again an hour later. By the end of the ride there was hardly any air left in the fork. This is a brand new fork that now has 26 miles on it. I have to say the fork felt really nice when it had air in it.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with it? Will fox fix this in a resonable amount of time or should I do it myself?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Kevin

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Sounds like you need to open up the left top cap and pour in a few cc of thick (fox fluid) oil..... Just enough to cover the air piston.... Sounds like the air chamber is leaking into the lowers of the fork and causing your wiper to pop out.... This is probably due to no oil left on top of the air piston.... Either that or the O-Ring is crapped out....

Try pouring in the oil first yeah~
    Cheers~
    Mas

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    nah the same EXACT thing happened to me.
    what happens is during assembly an oring gets torn and you just need to replace an internal o ring on the air side.

at least thats what my lbs manager told me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So I tore the fork down yesterday. It did look like it it may have been a little low on the float fluid. The O-rings all looked good. I cleaned everything up good, lubricated it, and reassembled with new 7 wt oil and plenty of float fluid on top. Right now it is holding air and feels good. I will repost after a few rides.

KMC

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Cool!
    That's great to hear!

Enjoy the ride!
    Cheers!
    Mas
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

Members who have read this thread: 0