2009 Fox 36 worth waiting for?- Mtbr.com
    Praise Bob

2009 Fox 36 worth waiting for?

I am finally fed up with my '06 Fox36 Talas (see other posts for complete rant). I have found some decent prices for the 2008 Van 36, so I am leaning towards that fork to relieve my woes. Does anyone know if there is a compelling reason to wait for the '09 lineup? I am not as concerned with weight as I am with performance e.g. plush travel, full use of travel, better bottom out resistance etc. etc.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    why wait?

it seems to be in stock already on some shops..

for example
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s+Fork+09.aspx

Praise Bob

Let me rephrase that

Is the 2009 Fox 36Van worth paying more for? Already starting to see 2008 models on blow out sales. Looks like you can get an '08 $200 cheaper than the '09. So my question still stands: Is the 2009 fox lineup (in regards to the 36) worth waiting/paying more for compared to the '08 models? Does anyone have definitive answers?

Working on my Drops
    I would like to know too. I'm sick of my 06 talas as well.

ZEN RIDER!
    I'm in the same boat. I need a new fork & not sure what to do.
    I'm between the 36 Float & Vanilla, both rc2.

I did find this article:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?..._racing_shox09

Improved fit cartridge, lighter steer tube & forged crown, rc2 improvements...
    Life in every breath

Praise Bob

I went through same debate

Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E
    I'm in the same boat. I need a new fork & not sure what to do.
    I'm between the 36 Float & Vanilla, both rc2.

I did find this article:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?..._racing_shox09

Improved fit cartridge, lighter steer tube & forged crown, rc2 improvements...
    I debated between air vs coil and regretted going with the air fork. I guess the newer models are so improved that my experience is a moot point now.

I bought the '06 Talas becuase it is all kinds of adjustable and light weight. What they dont tell you is that no matter how much you tweak it it still wont be right. If you dial in one component of system then you throw another out of whack. If you set sag correctly then the fork bottoms out easily, wallows in turns and suffers brake dive. Then you dial up a few clicks of compression to get rid of brake dive and now it is harsh and you lose small bump compliance. If you add Fox's reccomended air pressure the thing is a pogo stick. I could never find the balance between slow technical plushness and stablility at speed. It is always one or the other.

I demo'd a 2007 Vanilla and it was buttery smooth and rock solid at all speeds. It is slightly heavier than the float but at that point you have to ask yourself what kind of riding you do to warrant a 160mm fork. I will leave the 32 talas for the weight weenies and I am leaning towards the 2009 Van 36. My bike already weighs 33lbs anyway.

just my .02

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I know 07 to 08 there were big damping changes but for 09 I cant think of anything big. I think 08 was the big leap year for them.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I will leave the 32 talas for the weight weenies and I am leaning towards the 2009 Van 36. My bike already weighs 33lbs anyway.
    Should think about getting the Talas Pushed. It makes a huge difference. Push cures all kinds of problems, and now I finally get the full 5" travel. Would be interesting to compare Fox 09 Talas vs. Pushed Talas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Push does not modify Fox 36's.
    They only modify Fox 32mm Forks right now.
    Mctigre

Members who have read this thread: 0