2008 Talas, broken bottom bolt, HELP!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2008 Talas, broken bottom bolt, HELP!

Okay so I was out riding one of Wisconsin's great rock laden trails and ended up smacking the bottom of my fork(left side) on a nice pointy son of a *****. Anyways, it ended up hitting the bottom bolt hard enough that it started leaking oil out of the bottom left side. Well, when I got a wrench out to try and tighten the black protector nut, right when I felt a little resistance the bolt snapped off flush with the fork housing. Basically I need to know what I need to replace (internally), and would it be possible to do this at home without any specialized tools? Pictures included for clarity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    Pictures included for clarity.
    Clarity? They are totally out of focus! Need to learn how to use the macro feature on your camera. It's usually designated by a flower icon.....

That said, the TALAS on the left leg (I think) has a removable gold colored bolt thingy. You can get a replacement from Fox and swap it out. You'll need to remove the lowers to get to it. The piece should be fairly cheap, and you could probably do it at home. I have some spare TALAS parts. I'll dig through them and take some clear pictures and see if I can get you some useful info on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah it was a gold threaded stud that went into the housing. I really couldn't find out the function of it except maybe a drain for the oil because when it hit the rock the black protector bolt that threads onto it wasn't able to sit flush against the fork housing and it was leaking oil. I didn't notice it was leaking oil until I lost breaking power on my front break but still had the same amount of pressure and it was making a noise when at the end of breaking. I knew it was oil on the rotor, and then figured out what happened.

If i can just get inside of it and replace the stud that would be amazing, because I was thinking I was going to have to replace the whole left side unit and have to wait weeeeeeeeks to get back on the bike with how backed up our shops are around here.

Oh yeah, those pictures, my bike is in my dark basement right now which is juuuuust dark enough that I can't get a good focus on it.

aka dan51
    Call Fox dude. I bet the part will cost less than $20 shipped.

Here's a pic of an 05 TALAS lower with the brass screw in the end. You can see that it is something that's just threaded into the bottom.
    2nd pic is of a TALAS 36 lower bolt, similar to what you need. Fox sent me the wrong part a while back, and this is what I got. If you lived in the Bay Area I'd say come by and pick it up, but Wisconsin is quite a drive...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Okay so I called fox and they said I need to buy the whole lower assembly. What a bunch of ****, it seems since 05 they made it so if this other easy to replace part breaks, you need to buy a whole lower assembly. What a bunch of cock suckers, last FOX fork I will ever own.

aka dan51
    Okay so I called fox and they said I need to buy the whole lower assembly. What a bunch of ****, it seems since 05 they made it so if this other easy to replace part breaks, you need to buy a whole lower assembly. What a bunch of cock suckers, last FOX fork I will ever own.
    Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

Get a Pike or Lyrik coil. I love mine. I'll never go Fox again based on my RS experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Okay so I managed to get a hold of an exploded view with parts numbers and everything and called FOX up and just ordered those parts numbers and they let me have them, for 20$; not 100$ like they wanted for the whole damn spring assembly.

My question now is getting the lowers off, I've been reading through the guide on FOX's website and I've got a few questions. Basically, I just need to get the lowers out, so I'm not sure if I need to remove the damper and the air spring, or can I just removed the lower legs and keep everything else in. Second, do I need to release pressure from both the main chamber and IFP chamber? I need to replace the base stud on the end of the spring housing, so I need all the pressure from inside the spring removed, is that just releasing the air pressure from the main shrad. valve? I've been looking through this and it basically seems like it's going to be a lot of work just to get this thing replaced, a lot of things removed that I don't need to work on. Anybody with any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    Okay so I managed to get a hold of an exploded view with parts numbers and everything and called FOX up and just ordered those parts numbers and they let me have them, for 20$; not 100$ like they wanted for the whole damn spring assembly.

My question now is getting the lowers off, I've been reading through the guide on FOX's website and I've got a few questions. Basically, I just need to get the lowers out, so I'm not sure if I need to remove the damper and the air spring, or can I just removed the lower legs and keep everything else in. Second, do I need to release pressure from both the main chamber and IFP chamber? I need to replace the base stud on the end of the spring housing, so I need all the pressure from inside the spring removed, is that just releasing the air pressure from the main shrad. valve? I've been looking through this and it basically seems like it's going to be a lot of work just to get this thing replaced, a lot of things removed that I don't need to work on. Anybody with any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Here's a video (click on Talas service). I suggest replacing the dirt wipers and oil while you have it apart.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...ice_videos.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No offense, but it sounds like you just didn't explain the part to them properly. Fox has never tried to cheat me, and is always willing to fax over diagrams, which is highly recommended to do if you're ordering parts for the first time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can I use anything else for the IFP chamber tool? It looks like a regular air pump needle, what's so special about it?

As for the part, I called them twice and explained EXACTLY what it was, and they said "Yeah, the brass screw in for the air spring, that helps hold the lowers onto the fork, you can't buy that separately you need to buy a whole new air spring"

aka dan51
    Can I use anything else for the IFP chamber tool? It looks like a regular air pump needle, what's so special about it?
    I've done it with a standard inflation needle, but it's not easy solo. Three hands are best. YMMV.

If you have to buy the IFP tool, I hear they are $90 these days. I got mine a few years ago from Enduroforkseals.com for $35. Might want to check with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    90 dollars for that? If they're that that much I'll have my dad machine something. It's just a needle with threads on the end with a shrad. valve on the other end right? Now when they say shock fluid do they mean 7 or 10 weight? I bought 2 pillow packs of float fluid already and was just going to buy a bottle of 7 weight from my LBS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You don't need a IFP tool, just use a Football inflating needle, works just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ok, thread revival, had the exact same thing happen to me last night, and was even using a torque wrench. Not sure what I did wrong, but I sheared the bolt off at the base as well. Anyways, I'm running into the same problem with Fox, they refuse to sell me the individual bolt. The service guy said I could leave a voicemail with the sales manager to see if he could do anything, which I did, but I haven't heard back yet and I'm not too hopeful. Any recommendations on what to say that might get them to sell me the actual bolt? Or, here comes the longshot, does anyone have a spare that they'd be willing to sell me?

mtbr member
    A friend did the same thing to his TALAS fork when rebuilding it, even with a torque wrench. Fox told him it couldnt be rebuilt. He bought a new Rockshox fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Get the parts diagram and order the part by its part number.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    A friend did the same thing to his TALAS fork when rebuilding it, even with a torque wrench. Fox told him it couldnt be rebuilt. He bought a new Rockshox fork.
    And Rock Shox refuses to sell ANYTHING to the end user.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I used the part number when I called...he said they won't sell that individually, only the entire upper assembly for $90.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The manager just called me back and said that you can't take that screw off because there are separate chambers inside and you need special tools and knowledge to remove that. Not sure if that's a load of BS or the truth, but either way it looks like I'm screwed. Any other insight or info is appreciated...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have you considered converting your Talas to a Float?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hadn't considered it until now, but some research is showing that it would only cost about $80 which is less than just replacing the talas lower. I guess I'll have to look into the difficulty of installing it. Also curious how it works as an all around fork since I currently drop my talas down to 120 for xc and bump it up to 160 for the park...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's very easy to convert to a Float. Your costs can be even cheaper if you convert your Talas top cap to a Float one. There's a thread on here about how to do it.

Regarding how well it works, it's easy to change the travel, but you have to pull the air spring to do it. It's definitely more plush though. If it were me, I'd probably set the fork to 140mm of travel and call it a dat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ok, my buddy works at our LBS, so I'm going to wait and see if he is able to navigate the whole broken base stud thing with Fox. If not, I think I will probably end up just going to the float since they aren't even producing most of the parts I would need to fix on my talas if something else were to break. Thanks for the input...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just a quick update...haven't been able to get my hands on a bolt for the talas, so I just went ahead and did the float conversion. As a bunch of other threads will tell you, the conversion is actually really easy as long as you just follow the guides on fox's website. Anyways, as far as re-assembeling the talas...after a ton of research, I'm certain you can remove and replace that bottom bolt without any consequences, so if anyone does happen to have a spare they want to sell, I still have interest so i can rebuild as a backup. Or, if anyone is having issues with their talas and needs parts, I have a full upper and lower (minus the broken bolt) along with all the hardware. Thanks to all for the help...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How do you like your new Float?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Haven't had much of a chance to ride it yet, dang thunderstorms are putting a damper on things. But during the quick neighborhood test, it felt really good. Definitely does seem to be a bit plusher, and it seems a little more consistent over the entire range of the travel. I guess I'll have to wait until I hit the trails to see how it really performs. I left it at 150mm for now, but have spacers to drop it to 130 or 140...which I will probably end up doing at some point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can also tune how progressive a Float is by adding or removing oil from the air chamber.

Members who have read this thread: 1