2008 Stumpy rear shock problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2008 Stumpy rear shock problem

After coming back from a bike trip my rear shock lever will not turn easy and the shock seems tight no matter what I do. It is a Triad that came stock and is out of warranty. Can I fix myself or should I send to "Push" or should I get a rp23 or what do you suggest? Thanks....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Added note. If I leave air in or take it out it works but lockout doesnt work or the lever doesnt turn freely, really tight...

trying to ride
    Sep 2005
    take your bike to your local spesh dealer! they'll take care of you
    I was once apprehensive as well, but did so with excellent customer care as a result.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    On a side note if the shock is bad do I refurb it for 120 through "push" or do I get a 2009 rp23 for 270 or get a 2010 rp23 for 380 or do I just get a 2010 Float R and save some money? Thoughts?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772
    On a side note if the shock is bad do I refurb it for 120 through "push" or do I get a 2009 rp23 for 270 or get a 2010 rp23 for 380 or do I just get a 2010 Float R and save some money? Thoughts?
    Specialized almost always has to have their own shocks made by Fox for some lame reason. And the result is usually that no aftermarket shock will be a direct replacement. Specialized usually has slightly different length shocks. So before you by an RP23, make sure it will actually fit.

Or send it to PUSH.

mtbr member
    If you are spending 120, you might as well spend a little more and upgrade to the RP23. I have an 07 Stumpy with the Triad. I have definitely noticed the propedal isn't what it was when I first got the bike. I am planning to upgrade to the RP23 in the near future as opposed to a rebuild. Several guys on the Spec forums have done it and have been really happy with the results saying it makes a huge difference. Like Dan said, make sure you get the right size if you do upgrade.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does the problem I describe sound more like a seal replacement or a full overhaul. The problem I see is the lever to change propedal etc is stiff and doesnt effect anything when changing to lockout and the shock has some shock in it but not as smooth as before. I can change out the seals but if it is more then that I will send it in.... Thanks...

aka dan51
    Does the problem I describe sound more like a seal replacement or a full overhaul. The problem I see is the lever to change propedal etc is stiff and doesnt effect anything when changing to lockout and the shock has some shock in it but not as smooth as before. I can change out the seals but if it is more then that I will send it in.... Thanks...
    You should open the shock and have a look for yourself.
    The shock on my 08 Stumpy Pro was feeling a little stiff last year, so I took it off the bike and removed the air can sleeve. What I found was a destroyed seal. The shock had no lube in it, and the seal had eventually worn away. I had little chunks of rubber floating around inside the shock. I did not have a seal kit for the shock at the time, so I just cleaned it up and lubed it. It was like magic, the shock was so smooth again! Before I just thought that the Brain part was working really well. I promptly got a seal kit and replaced all the pieces.

So, your shock might be doing the same thing. Some of the pieces of rubber may have worked their way into the area where the lever is and may be binding it. That part you might not be able to fix on your own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What kind of lube did you put in here and where does the oil go or is that not accessable when you take it apart? I have parktool's lube if that will work... I will order a seal kit just in case

aka dan51
    What kind of lube did you put in here and where does the oil go or is that not accessable when you take it apart? I have parktool's lube if that will work... I will order a seal kit just in case
    Slick Honey, regular grease will be a bad idea.
    There is no oil in the chamber you can access. If you don't have Slick honey, you can try a few drops of suspension oil until you get the right lube.

Members who have read this thread: 0