Are 2005 and 2006 Manitou Nixons forks the same? Or sourcing 2006 Nixon rebuild kit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Are 2005 and 2006 Manitou Nixons forks the same? Or sourcing 2006 Nixon rebuild kit

I am working on my folks' old 2006 Trek Remedy 6's and they have Manitou Nixon Comp 145 TPC+ coil forks. From what I have read, these are pretty solid forks and should be easy to service. Only problem is, I cannot find a rebuild kit for the bike. Both shops in town cannot/won't get Manitou parts, so I was hoping to find them online.

I see lot's of 05 Nixon rebuild kits for sale (Manitou O-ring Kit 05 Nixon, 06 Minute | Manitou | Brands Bikewagon) but not a single mention of 2006. Will a 2005 Nixon rebuild kit work on a 2006? If not, does anyone know where I can find a part number? I have an email in to Manitou as well, just hoping someone here would have a quick answer.

Thanks!

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Compare part numbers.

2006 fork service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7g...X0U/view?pli=1

2005 nixon service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7g...Z0k/view?pli=1

mtbr member
    For the most part, they are similar. Even 140mm Minute stuff works in a 2006 Nixon.

With that said, what needs done? The TPC+ system is rock solid and almost nothing goes wrong. The weakest part of those forks was the little metal gator seal around the evil genus seals.

If it is a MARS spring, those are harder to get but Minute 140 springs work. Also, like all Manitou's, the rebound knob can come off but again, minute knobs work.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Compare part numbers.

2005 nixon service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7g...Z0k/view?pli=1
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Compare part numbers.

Awesome! Looks like the o-ring kit is 83-2486 for both. This is super helpful because Manitou's website has been down for several days and I couldn't get the dang manuals.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    For the most part, they are similar. Even 140mm Minute stuff works in a 2006 Nixon.

With that said, what needs done? The TPC+ system is rock solid and almost nothing goes wrong. The weakest part of those forks was the little metal gator seal around the evil genus seals.

If it is a MARS spring, those are harder to get but Minute 140 springs work. Also, like all Manitou's, the rebound knob can come off but again, minute knobs work.
    Well, one of the forks is operational and just needs an oil change. The other fork dumped all of its oil out so I figured there is a leaky o-ring somewhere in there. I just didn't want to open it up with out a kit on-hand.

Both forks are missing the rebound knobs. Thanks for the tip about the Minute knob.

mtbr member
    Hello,
    What color are the stanchions on the fork, 05' were gold, 06 were black on retail forks. The 05 also had TPC, the 06 had Cartridge TPC+ or Intrinsic (for the most part). Many O-rings are the same as are the seals, but with the 06 if it uses a cartridge damper, the O-rings will be smaller. I have been able to match up most at my local hardware store when needed. As pointed out above, if it has MARS air, the Minute 140mm has the same spring par number and I've interchanged both. BTW, chainreactioncycles has a good bit of old Nixon parts when I last looked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    Hello,
    What color are the stanchions on the fork, 05' were gold, 06 were black on retail forks. The 05 also had TPC, the 06 had Cartridge TPC+ or Intrinsic (for the most part). Many O-rings are the same as are the seals, but with the 06 if it uses a cartridge damper, the O-rings will be smaller. I have been able to match up most at my local hardware store when needed. As pointed out above, if it has MARS air, the Minute 140mm has the same spring par number and I've interchanged both. BTW, chainreactioncycles has a good bit of old Nixon parts when I last looked.
    The stanchions are black and it says TPC plus on the side so it must be the cartridge TPC version. It is definitely a coil, so no worry about the air spring.

Does the standard o-ring kit include the cartridge o-rings?

I'll definitely check the hardware store, but where I live it's pretty weak selection for stuff like that.

mtbr member
    I have a 10 year relationship with a 2005 Nixon which has the 2006 damper cartridge. The 2006 went to an enclosed damper cartridge just like the Travis, the 2005 were built into the leg.
    The two dampers are interchangable.

The o-ring kit number you've asked about above isn't currently available, I don't know what is in it, but it doesn't matter as the only service parts you'll need are wiper seals, oil and maybe damper rebound shaft seals.

All these are available. The rebound shaft seal depends on the damper type. The 2005 TPC damper runs a different size shaft and seal to the 2006 TPC+. This kit is for the 2005 damper: 32 mm Alloy Manitou Sherman/Nixon/Minute Damper Kit (Shockcraft)

At Shockcraft we have a whole lot of new old stock Manitou Travis/Nixon parts. They aren't all up on the website though, so hit us with an email if you can't find what you need.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz