1995 Manitou 4 elastomer question- Mtbr.com
    Sweep the leg!

1995 Manitou 4 elastomer question

I know they're old and have less boing in them but I'm not super-human and can't justify buying a whole bike to upgrade...

Using my fingernail durometer-tester it seems the blue is the stiffest, red is medium and yellow is softest.

Is this assumption correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

As I recall, yes that is correct....

it been a long time since I've fiddled with elastomers, but if memory serves you are correct.
    Pretty accurate finger nails!!!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    I know they're old and have less boing in them but I'm not super-human and can't justify buying a whole bike to upgrade...

Using my fingernail durometer-tester it seems the blue is the stiffest, red is medium and yellow is softest.

Sounds reasonable....elastomers for my very old Flextem (long ago retired but libing in my garage) had a similar color range blue-hard....red-medium....green-soft....yellow-softest(cold weather.....never ran across those, though...))....fwiw (dunno if there is any kind of durometer rating/corresponding color for elastomers in general..)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered

Actually, it is the other way round. That is, blue is soft, red is medium and yellow is hard. I think I even have the green cold weather elastomers!

adult onset ADHD

Elastomer upgrade

I have an old GT with a Rock Shox Indy fork that was Jr.'s bike. I took out the elastomers and replaced them with a pair of coil springs I got from the mechanic at work. They are about 7/8" dia and about 3 inches in length. I just took out the elastomers and a plastic cylinder insert that came along with it and stuck the spring in it's place.
    There is no rebound control, but I bet that fork gets all the 60mm of travel the fork allows.
    Try it!

Members who have read this thread: 0