140mm 29 Fork- Mtbr.com

Thread: 140mm 29 Fork

mtbr member

140mm 29 Fork

I am starting to gather info for my upcoming SC Tallboy project.
    I really like my Push ACS3 / AVY open bath 27.5 Pike and would like to use a coil with TB4 as well.
    I want to use 140mm fork with offset close to 44mm.
    Which options should I consider?
    Light rider. 140lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lyrik/Pike or 36 are your best options to convert to coil (and better than the current factory coil offerings)

I would go with a Pike purely for the weight aspect and its better suited as a 140 fork than the 36 too
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    Lyrik/Pike or 36 are your best options to convert to coil (and better than the current factory coil offerings)

I would go with a Pike purely for the weight aspect and its better suited as a 140 fork than the 36 too
    Thanks.
    Any experience with MRP Ribbon Coil? Some people claim it performs better than ACS3 conversation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Thanks.
    Any experience with MRP Ribbon Coil? Some people claim it performs better than ACS3 conversation.
    I've worked on a few, personally I find the bushing clearance isn't very good so tend to have more stiction than other forks. The damper is also very basic so I would expect it to struggle in rougher terrain
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    I've worked on a few, personally I find the bushing clearance isn't very good so tend to have more stiction than other forks. The damper is also very basic so I would expect it to struggle in rougher terrain
    Thank you. Now if I can find a cheaper used pike to convert. Boost 44mm offset might not be that easy to get.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thank you. Now if I can find a cheaper used pike to convert. Boost 44mm offset might not be that easy to get.
    Pretty sure that 44mm in 29" was only offered by FOX, RS offers 42mm, so that is something to keep in mind. If you are not off-put by used, check the classifieds here or on Pinkbike for whichever version you want. Have also heard great things thus far about the Marzocchi Bomber Z1 and its adjustability, basic damper and you can do a Vorspung Smashpot coil in it (no PUSH yet that I have heard) but not 100% sure on available offsets.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Jazz,
    If your Pike right now is a Boost I suspect it has 46mm offset. Just get a set of 29er lowers and do a lowers swap. You could be done w/ it in 10 mins...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight70 View Post
    Jazz,
    If your Pike right now is a Boost I suspect it has 46mm offset. Just get a set of 29er lowers and do a lowers swap. You could be done w/ it in 10 mins...
    I don't have any parts yet. My current bike is 27.5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bomber Z1 with a Vorsprung Smashpot, Grip Damper works well out of the box, stiff fork, not expensive, 44mm offset is common,
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If its better, Id be surprised, MRP has crap damping, coil spring system is simple, no hydraulic or air bottom out. ACS3 or Smashpot if you want coil.

Thanks.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)