140mm 29 Fork- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 140mm 29 Fork

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,259

    140mm 29 Fork

    I am starting to gather info for my upcoming SC Tallboy project.
    I really like my Push ACS3 / AVY open bath 27.5 Pike and would like to use a coil with TB4 as well.
    I want to use 140mm fork with offset close to 44mm.
    Which options should I consider?
    Light rider. 140lbs

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    Lyrik/Pike or 36 are your best options to convert to coil (and better than the current factory coil offerings)

    I would go with a Pike purely for the weight aspect and its better suited as a 140 fork than the 36 too
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    Lyrik/Pike or 36 are your best options to convert to coil (and better than the current factory coil offerings)

    I would go with a Pike purely for the weight aspect and its better suited as a 140 fork than the 36 too
    Thanks.
    Any experience with MRP Ribbon Coil? Some people claim it performs better than ACS3 conversation.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Thanks.
    Any experience with MRP Ribbon Coil? Some people claim it performs better than ACS3 conversation.
    I've worked on a few, personally I find the bushing clearance isn't very good so tend to have more stiction than other forks. The damper is also very basic so I would expect it to struggle in rougher terrain
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    I've worked on a few, personally I find the bushing clearance isn't very good so tend to have more stiction than other forks. The damper is also very basic so I would expect it to struggle in rougher terrain
    Thank you. Now if I can find a cheaper used pike to convert. Boost 44mm offset might not be that easy to get.

  6. #6
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,412
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Thank you. Now if I can find a cheaper used pike to convert. Boost 44mm offset might not be that easy to get.
    Pretty sure that 44mm in 29" was only offered by FOX, RS offers 42mm, so that is something to keep in mind. If you are not off-put by used, check the classifieds here or on Pinkbike for whichever version you want. Have also heard great things thus far about the Marzocchi Bomber Z1 and its adjustability, basic damper and you can do a Vorspung Smashpot coil in it (no PUSH yet that I have heard) but not 100% sure on available offsets.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    81
    Jazz,
    If your Pike right now is a Boost I suspect it has 46mm offset. Just get a set of 29er lowers and do a lowers swap. You could be done w/ it in 10 mins...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight70 View Post
    Jazz,
    If your Pike right now is a Boost I suspect it has 46mm offset. Just get a set of 29er lowers and do a lowers swap. You could be done w/ it in 10 mins...
    I don't have any parts yet. My current bike is 27.5.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,690
    Bomber Z1 with a Vorsprung Smashpot, Grip Damper works well out of the box, stiff fork, not expensive, 44mm offset is common,
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,690
    If its better, Id be surprised, MRP has crap damping, coil spring system is simple, no hydraulic or air bottom out. ACS3 or Smashpot if you want coil.

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Thanks.
    Any experience with MRP Ribbon Coil? Some people claim it performs better than ACS3 conversation.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
  2. White Brother 140mm Loop 29er vs Manitou TOWER PRO 140MM 29er
    By hang10jeff in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 05:27 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
  5. 140mm Lefty Max not really 140mm
    By Christopher Robin in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Members who have read this thread: 70

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.