100mm rear shock to 200mm shock??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

100mm rear shock to 200mm shock??

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to rear shocks, and I am simply wondering if I can replace my 100mm X-Fusion 02-R shock on my 2012 GT Sensor 4.0 to a Fox Float RP2, which has 200mm of travel. The reason why is, I have been riding some pretty ruff trails, and even with my preload as quick as possible, and 160 PSi in the shock, just from running down my local single track, I am bottoming out my shock. So, I am wondering if my bike would be compatible with this longer travel shock.

Regards,

WSRebel

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Shocks are sized by length and stoke, not by travel. You can change the shock to something new but you can not add 100mm of travel to your bike.

I'm not familiar with setting up an Xfusion shock but are you sure it's properly set up? If is was working good before but now it's not the shock may need servicing.

mtbr member
    As jlmuncie said, how much travel your bike has is determined by the stroke of the shock multiplied by the leverage ratio of the frame (basically; leverage ratio isn't constant through travel).
    A frame is designed for a shock of a certain length and stroke, you can't just replace it to change the travel without messing up the geometry (although some frames allow you to do this).

So basically; no, you cannot replace the shock to get more travel. How much sag are you running, and what sort of stuff are you bottoming out on?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You may be confusing 100mm of travel on the bike with 200mm i2i measurement of the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    As jlmuncie said, how much travel your bike has is determined by the stroke of the shock multiplied by the leverage ratio of the frame (basically; leverage ratio isn't constant through travel).
    A frame is designed for a shock of a certain length and stroke, you can't just replace it to change the travel without messing up the geometry (although some frames allow you to do this).

So basically; no, you cannot replace the shock to get more travel. How much sag are you running, and what sort of stuff are you bottoming out on?
    The single track i am riding has big ruts in it every yard or so, and, depending on the speed that I am carrying, as I run over it, the shock bottoms out. Also, there are some 2ft drops that I go over, and, again, the shock bottoms out. I am running 170Psi, and about the mid point for the compression rate.

mtbr member
    Check your sag. 25% like it says in the article is a good starting point.
    If your settings are correct you should not be bottoming out (noticeably) on that sort of stuff.

Edit: The O2R does not have compression adjustment, so I assume you mean midway on the rebound.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rebound adjuster needs to be set wherever it allows the shock to *just* rebound fast enough and not pack down over repeated bumps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You said 160psi and then 170psi... which is it?

How heavy are you? The manufacturer website will give you suggested pressure by body weight. I run 250psi and use about 90% of the travel of the rear shock so it's right where I want it. I'm 6'6" 240lbs though.