100m SKAREB....considered a plush fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

100m SKAREB....considered a plush fork?

how does it compare to fox or reba as far as being smooth?

says it weighs 3.4 lbs,sound correct?

this is going on a steel hardtail build with light weight/comfort/race in mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I can't comment on the 100mm as I ran the 80mm, but I can compare directly with a Fox Float. The Skareb is far more linear and plush than the Fox. The tradeoff is fork flex and the Skareb bobs like crazy when seated and worse when standing. The other tradeoff with the Skareb is that it will bottom much easier than the Fox off of small drops, where the Fox will ramp up. The Skareb uses an air spring that is very linear and then a small coil to ramp up/control bottoming for the last 20mm or so of travel.

I haven't ridden it but the Reba sounds like it may be a good compromise as it is supposed to be less progressive than the fox.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I dont know,its a tough decision for me without riding these forks.i have a manitou black with 120mm on my marin full suspension and it feels very nice but not perfect.i have bad shoulders and i cant ride something to harsh but at the same time i want this hardtail to come in under 23lbs.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

plush but flexy

Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y
    how does it compare to fox or reba as far as being smooth?

says it weighs 3.4 lbs,sound correct?

this is going on a steel hardtail build with light weight/comfort/race in mind.
    I have the '05 Skareb Super 80 on my SS hardtail and the '05 Reba SL 100 (non-U turn) on my geared hardtail. They are very different forks. The Skareb is very plush, but bottoms way too easily. If you add enough air to keep it from bottoming out, it loses its plushness on small bumps. It is also pretty flexy and light (3.4 lbs) and has pretty small 28.5mm stanchions.

The Reba is pretty much the opposite of the Skareb in terms of feel. I'm still in "break-in" mode (I think I've ridden it 5 times), but it NEVER has gotten full travel (despite me trying very hard to do so). I'm running the positive air setting significantly below the recommended setting for my 185 "riding weight" with a full Camelbak, but I can't get it to bottom out. It is almost too stiff, and has (so far) pretty lousy small bump compliance, even when I add a lot of negative air pressure. It doesn't flex laterally much at all (similar to a TALAS or Float), but it does have 32mm stanchions. It also weighs probably close to 4 lbs, so it's not necessarily in "race fork" weight territory.

Bottom line - if plushness is what you want, and you don't mind a light weight and flexy fork that bottoms pretty regularly, go for the Skareb. If you want a very (too) stiff fork that is heavier and has a stiff "racer" feel to it that never bottoms out, go for the Reba.

Want to vent?
    I run a 05 Skareb Super 100 on my SC superlight...raced it all year....its great...its decently light and its cheap.....never bottomed it ever........also sold my buddy on one and he loves it as well......(Note...i weigh 135LBS...but he weighs 165LBS...and they are both on superlights)

I guess it all depends on your weight / riding style / terrain ya ride...

All i can compare it to is old manitous, a 01 judy 100 or 00-03 sids.....it is much better than all of them for sure...

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    A couple more things to add to my above post:

1) While the Skareb is flexier than the Fox, it is not horrible. I am a 225 pound clyde and it was fine, and far stiffer than the old SID XC I have.

2) The Fox has a far better lockout. The Skareb lockout fully locks the fork and it feels when you hit a bump like you are going to break it. The Fox lockout on the RLT allows the fork to move a bit and you can adjust the blowoff for big bumps.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I'm still in "break-in" mode (I think I've ridden it 5 times), but it NEVER has gotten full travel (despite me trying very hard to do so). I'm running the positive air setting significantly below the recommended setting for my 185 "riding weight" with a full Camelbak, but I can't get it to bottom out. It is almost too stiff, and has (so far) pretty lousy small bump compliance, even when I add a lot of negative air pressure.
    What are you running for positive pressure. "Can't bottom it, way too stiff" may mean you have it pumped up too much. I weigh 185+ gear and I think I am running 110psi. It is U-Turn with poploc, but I can definitely get most of the travel. I've had mine a couple weeks but rode it this weekend on an epic - it felt goooooood.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i think i may try the skareb.

can you remove the lock out?i never use it on any bikes.

is weight listed with lockout or not?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    What are you running for positive pressure. "Can't bottom it, way too stiff" may mean you have it pumped up too much. I weigh 185+ gear and I think I am running 110psi. It is U-Turn with poploc, but I can definitely get most of the travel. I've had mine a couple weeks but rode it this weekend on an epic - it felt goooooood.
    90 pos/90 neg, on the dual air version. Maybe getting 85mm of travel. This, apparently, is normal for the dual air Reba SL - see other post on this topic: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=144409

Want to vent?

Im gonna say no u cant remove the lockout and the weight of it is neglible anyways.....if that is of concern buy ti bolts and fasteners and other weight watcher items

or u could go after a skareb elite...i doesnt have a lockout but i bet it weighs more.........and your only other options is the platinum and those have been buggy.....

or if money is of no concern go for the fox 100rlt or the new Manitou R7(which is supposedly lighter and stiffer than the 05 skareb and costs more but prolly still not as much as fox)

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    90 pos/90 neg, on the dual air version. Maybe getting 85mm of travel. This, apparently, is normal for the dual air Reba SL - see other post on this topic: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=144409
    Yeah, I saw parts of that but not the end. I know John and watched it a little.
    That's kind of odd...
    Makes me that much happier with the U-Turn
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The lockout adds like 30-40 grams, but also gets you adjustable compression and TPC valving over the non-lockout FFD damper.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    The Skareb uses an air spring that is very linear and then a small coil to ramp up/control bottoming for the last 20mm or so of travel.
    CDMC, was it you I was discussing this with a long time ago and we were not sure if the coil spring acted first, or as you state here, has more to do with the end of the stroke? Well, I can tell you definitively, that the coil spring is for the small bump compliance/sag/initial travel. I've done extensive testing with it since we last discussed the issue. Here's the easiest way to know: With the lowers off and a soft or extra soft spring installed, no matter how high you pump the air chamber up, you can still partially compress the rod by hand. Put in a stiffer sping, and you cannot. This is what Manitou had in mind, as forks with positive air chambers only (as opposed to "dual air") tend to be sticky in the initial travel. Once the coil spring has taken care of the initial travel, the air spring has already started moving and it makes for a pretty seamless transition. The spring may play a small part in ramp up as well, but it's primary purpose is definitely as Manitou states it: for small bump sensitivity.

On another subject, the progressivity of Skarebs can be controlled by changing the volume of the air chamber. The Platinum comes with air volume adjust cap on the left leg, but this cap can be ordered and installed on ALL the Skarebs. It's similar to the SPV volume adjust (16mm blue hex around the Schrader valve). You can also change air volume with a standard air cap by removing it and adding extra oil on top of the air piston.

The spring issue is an important one for people to understand because some of the Skarebs are shipped with a FIRM spring in them, which is NUTS since that would be for a rider in the 190-215 lb range! Someone who weighed 150 would use this "stock" fork and have no small bump compliance whatsoever (not to mention not get full travel).

Members who have read this thread: 0