09 Tora 318 coil U-turn- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183

    09 Tora 318 coil U-turn

    I have a 318 installed on my bike currently without any lockout, but curious about the
    U-turn adjusting. As I adjust the U-turn, (85-130) 85 would be going uphill and 130 downhill right?
    Also, was there another option for a fork without a U-turn???
    Do I really need a U-turn???

  2. #2
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976
    As I adjust the U-turn, (85-130) 85 would be going uphill and 130 downhill right?
    That would be one way to use it, the other option is to just dial in the travel length that works best for your frame and leave it there.
    Also, was there another option for a fork without a U-turn???
    Yes, the Solo Air was not U-Turn...also there were some OEM Coil versions w/o U-Turn
    Do I really need a U-turn???
    Only if you feel its beneficial to change travel often

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    how do i know what travel length works best for my frame? is it a mathematical formula or something to figure out by feel???
    i'm seriously thinking about selling my tora 318. i have no need for a u-turn, and i'm getting no help from great adventure sports which is where i purchased it from.
    i'm thinking sell the tora, take the hit, and get the right fork.

  4. #4
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    how do i know what travel length works best for my frame? is it a mathematical formula or something to figure out by feel???
    Go by feel. Play around with it. If you want a good starting point, what length fork does your frame often come with stock?

    i'm seriously thinking about selling my tora 318. i have no need for a u-turn, and i'm getting no help from great adventure sports which is where i purchased it from.
    i'm thinking sell the tora, take the hit, and get the right fork.
    First, I would not get rid of the u-turn just because you don't need it. There is no disadvantage to having it compared to a non-adjustable coil fork.

    Why do you think this is the "wrong" fork?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Go by feel. Play around with it. If you want a good starting point, what length fork does your frame often come with stock?

    Well, my bike came with a Dart 3 if that helps.



    First, I would not get rid of the u-turn just because you don't need it. There is no disadvantage to having it compared to a non-adjustable coil fork.

    Why do you think this is the "wrong" fork?
    When I first placed the order I thought I was getting an 08 turnkey lockout.
    They sent me an 09 poploc, and didn't send the poploc with the fork. I didn't want the poploc anyway, but still. So I was talking to a reputable mountain bike shop out in AZ the other day and the guy in there told me I could put the turnkey on there, but I would need to swap out the motion control unit, or something like that.

    The reason why I'm thinking about selling it is I like simplicity, and I feel like I'm way out of my league with the adjustment U-turn.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Go by feel. Play around with it. If you want a good starting point, what length fork does your frame often come with stock?



    First, I would not get rid of the u-turn just because you don't need it. There is no disadvantage to having it compared to a non-adjustable coil fork.

    Why do you think this is the "wrong" fork?
    I'm not sure what length fork my bike came with, but it came with a Dart 3 stock.

  7. #7
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    When I first placed the order I thought I was getting an 08 turnkey lockout.
    They sent me an 09 poploc, and didn't send the poploc with the fork. I didn't want the poploc anyway, but still. So I was talking to a reputable mountain bike shop out in AZ the other day and the guy in there told me I could put the turnkey on there, but I would need to swap out the motion control unit, or something like that.

    The reason why I'm thinking about selling it is I like simplicity, and I feel like I'm way out of my league with the adjustment U-turn.
    Stop calling it a "turnkey"!

    You are going to cause yourself more trouble as you try to work this out. You DO NOT want anything called "turnkey"! I've explained to you what "turnkey" means in a separate thread, and it is not what you want. You want the motion control unit made for use without the poplock.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Stop calling it a "turnkey"!

    You are going to cause yourself more trouble as you try to work this out. You DO NOT want anything called "turnkey"! I've explained to you what "turnkey" means in a separate thread, and it is not what you want. You want the motion control unit made for use without the poplock.
    i gotcha. so all i need to do is buy a motion control unit without a poploc and have it installed on my 318 tora?

  9. #9
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    i gotcha. so all i need to do is buy a motion control unit without a poploc and have it installed on my 318 tora?
    correct

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    so a good bike shop will know what to sell me when i ask for a motion control unit without a poploc?

  11. #11
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    so a good bike shop will know what to sell me when i ask for a motion control unit without a poploc?
    Ask for a "non-poplock motion control unit for a tora".

    So, did the place you bought the fork from offer to send you a poplock for the MoCo unit you already have?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Ask for a "non-poplock motion control unit for a tora".

    So, did the place you bought the fork from offer to send you a poplock for the MoCo unit you already have?
    No. I called the company in Colorado and they said they wouldn't be able to help me because the online items are under different management. I was emailing back and forth for a few days, and this guy said he would look into it. I've sent two emails to check to see if there was any progress and they haven't responded. I'm giving this company until tomorrow to respond and than I'm going to play hard ball.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    i'm curious. why did you go with the solo air?
    i wouldn't know the difference if i rode both, but i had someone on here recommend going with the coil, which is why i went with the coil.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    i've been told by a bike mechanic that since i already have the motion control, i don't need to buy a whole new motion control damper without poploc. i just need the manuel piece for on top. does this make sense?

  15. #15
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    i've been told by a bike mechanic that since i already have the motion control, i don't need to buy a whole new motion control damper without poploc. i just need the manuel piece for on top. does this make sense?
    He is wrong. Even if the knob fits, it is still going to snap back to the fully open position unless he cuts the spring, and if he knows how to do that modification (which I am doubting), then you don't even need a new knob in the first place.

    If he does not believe this, just ask him to order the piece and install it, and he will find out he was wrong when he tries to install it. Just make sure you don't have to pay for the mistake.

    You really need to do a search on this on these boards, this has all been covered many, many, times over.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    He is wrong. Even if the knob fits, it is still going to snap back to the fully open position unless he cuts the spring, and if he knows how to do that modification (which I am doubting), then you don't even need a new knob in the first place.

    If he does not believe this, just ask him to order the piece and install it, and he will find out he was wrong when he tries to install it. Just make sure you don't have to pay for the mistake.

    You really need to do a search on this on these boards, this has all been covered many, many, times over.
    thanks for the advice dude.
    i think i'm just going to have them order another motion control damper w/out poploc.
    i just want to get out and ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.