'08 tora 318 solo air set up question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

'08 tora 318 solo air set up question

Well, I just bought a new '08 tora 318 solo air from price point for 264 shipped. I emailed them prior to purchasing about a couple questions, and they actually said I will be receiving a 2009 tora 318 solo air! :O because they made a mistake on their website.

anyways, i was going through srams website.

Tora Solo Air weight/psi, I weigh like 167. The fork is set up for 100mm. On their guide it says 120-140psi for 160-180lb. So what should I put it as? 130? And a couple threads I was looking around, some were talking about like 20% sag and such? so 130x20%=26, 130-26=104psi? Is that what I should do?

and for the spring, on the website it says Red spring for weight 140-160, blue spring is 160-180. With the stock spring it should be okay right? Brand new fork anyways, have to break it in and see how it'll feels later on. But red or blue spring shouldn't really make a big difference for my weight?

Oct 2007
    try 130, dont hesitate to add or remove air. the sag and pressure guides are just average, rough starting points to get you out riding for the first time.

solo air forks dont have coil springs. they have air springs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i had a similar problem when i o0rdered my tora 318 coil. i thought i was buying an 08' model and received an 09' and not what i wanted. by the way, i recommend not buying from Great Adventure Sports. there was a big delay in getting my part, and their customer service truly sucks. i feel like sending them a dead fish in the mail. you know, a sicilian message.

Go SOLAR...
    Forget about air pressure charts....just set your sag and your done. When I had my Tora air I set it at 15-20mm depending on how plush I wanted. Go for 18mm to start and see how it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    k thanks guys!

Oct 2007
    dont worry about sag. sag means nothing. just set it where it works best for your riding.. the tora is stiff as hell, it'll take a lot of abuse!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    k can't wait to receive this on wednesday, hurry up UPS >.<

Go SOLAR...
    The Tora 318 air is the most underrated fork out...IMO of course. You'll like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yeah from the countless hours of research i've been doing the past year, that was some of the things people were saying. Yeah can't wait to get on it! After riding my brothers stuntjumper that has a Fox talas, the air fork ride quality was out of control. This is definitely a HUGE step on my bike replacing my POS Spinner SWK 50mm pogostick junk that came with the bike.

Go SOLAR...
    Your putting a 100mm fork on a bike that had a 50mm fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yeah it's a ironhorse maverick1.0 maximum is 100mm, it'll be fine

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    The Tora 318 air is the most underrated fork out...IMO of course. You'll like it a lot.
    i heard good things about the 318 which is why i bought it but i can't comment on its performance because i'm still in limbo because of Great Adventure Sports dropping the ball and leaving me hanging with the 318 fork i bought from them. I swear they have the worst customer service and will never buy from them again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    i heard good things about the 318 which is why i bought it but i can't comment on its performance because i'm still in limbo because of Great Adventure Sports dropping the ball and leaving me hanging with the 318 fork i bought from them. I swear they have the worst customer service and will never buy from them again.
    damn that sucks =\

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    yeah it's a ironhorse maverick1.0 maximum is 100mm, it'll be fine
    I'm pretty sure you have a 80mm anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    what, the fork that came with the bike? nah it's 50, a nice 50mm pogostick

Click Here

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The fork came in today! Hurried off to the LBS down the street, $25 to get my crown race removed, steerer tube cut, star nut tapped in, pound race back on. Also had to get 2 new screws for my vbrakes cause they were messed up when i unscrewed it out of my OE fork.

Ride comparison? No words can explain. Wow.

I'm seriously pleased I took a lot of peoples advice from many other threads to save my money and use it on a better fork than some junk.

I was actually afraid the front brake line wouldn't be long enough, but it just makes it. Perfect fit.

before and after pics

Go SOLAR...
    I bet you had a grin from ear to ear with that upgrade....good job and good choice. Man I would have thought you had a 80mm on there....a 50mm is pretty much worthless unless you ride hardpack singletrack all day long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    lol yeah

the 50mm, gawd... might as well ride a ridged instead

Members who have read this thread: 0