06' Z1 light & 325lb. rider ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

06' Z1 light & 325lb. rider ?

My buddy (325lb's) got talked into a 2006 Z1 Light for a trail build. He maxxed out the air pressure and the fork still feels soft. I told him to find a dual coil fork like a Z 150 and add dual air caps but he let Marzocchi talk him into the Z1 light. Any way to stiffen it up ? Would 10 -15wt oil help ? Thanx

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If you are talking the Z1 Light....

not the SL, he should be able to get a firmer spring for the Light. If he's got the SL then he's screwed as the SL is Dopio (duel air) Air only. The SL is a Coil/Air fork. Contact Marzocchi or a local Marzocchi Dealer and see what's available. They should be able to set him up. Once you have the heaviest springs available and still need some more resistance then go to the 15w fork oil. It might not be a bad idea to go with the heavier oil just on general principles as he certainly could use the extra damping performance I'm sure.

So get the heaviest springs available for the fork and go with the heavier oil as well. It should at least help, but just the heavier oil alone won't get him there I'm affraid.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    325lbs. Thatīs a lot.
    No offence meant at all, is he a body builder or just heavy?
    I am 150lbs. I canīt quite imagine someone who weighs 325 riding a normal bike. I think he could simply break off the cranks by jumping on them. Must be a heavy bike!

greetings znarf

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    325lbs. Thatīs a lot.
    No offence meant at all, is he a body builder or just heavy?
    I am 150lbs. I canīt quite imagine someone who weighs 325 riding a normal bike. I think he could simply break off the cranks by jumping on them. Must be a heavy bike!

greetings znarf
    Ha, I've got a friend that weighs around 320-325 and he's got a Joker and a VPfree. He runs heavy springs, 15w oil, and air preload if available. No XC wheels for him!

Yeah, he's a bit heavy, but at 250 he looks skinny to me. Not that I've seen that in a while.

I cringe when I see him practicing drops to flat.

To the OP, find the heaviest spring you can for that Z1! I think the whole idea with that fork was that Marz doesn't offer heavier springs because the positive air is supposed to make up the difference, which it does for most people. I'd expect that they may have a heavier spring that might fit it though. The problem is going to be that the spring should probably be about twice the rate of the stock one, because the stock spring is quite wimpy.

mtbr member
    Seriously, for his health, and for the health of his bike, tell him to cut his daily calorie intake in half. That and run his ass off. Literally. Then get back on the bike. Otherwise, he's just going to be breaking stuff.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I don't believe the 06+ Zokies have available aftermarket springs. When I was looking at the 06 Z1's a few months ago, I called Marz about this and they told me that because the spring is already pretty stout and the forks have air preload, that the forks should be able to adust to most riders, even me @ 240. So???? I would suggest you give Marz a call just to be sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0