'06 Pike coil questions.- Mtbr.com

May 2004

'06 Pike coil questions.

JensonUsa, UniversalCycles and Beyond have the pike coil 426. They say with a steel steerer tube. Is the steel stronger than the alloy steerer and that's why it's on the coil. I don't see a 454 coil anywhere. On beyond bikes it says a steel steerer tube and 4130 chromoly upper tube, what does that mean? Iam bouncing between coil and air. Not sure if air will handle as much punishment as a coil. On rockshox site it says for the 454 upgrade over the 426 is alloy steerer and hollow crown but on the 454 specs it shows hollow crown, does anyone know what it is?

No, that's not phonetic
    There is no data to suggest that the steel is stronger than the alu, so it would be speculation to say that. I kinda doubt you will break either, but hey, we never met.

The U-turn coil mechanism breaks. Air seals go bad. The coil is not categorically more durable than the air, or vice versa. I prefer the air after owning both. Most "issues" seem to be with small oil leaks in the MC which is the same in coil and air forks. That said, both have excellent track records for service life.

If you scroll down the descriptions in the dumb little windows on the RS website you will see the whole descriptions. They tell all about the diff models.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bodhisattva
    The terrible info on the RS website strikes again.

The 454 is available in coil but currently only as OEM.

The 454 is lighter than the 426 due to the alloy steerer & hollow crown. That does not translate into a loss of strength or stiffness.

Members who have read this thread: 0