'05 Reba SL vs. the Race and Team versions- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

'05 Reba SL vs. the Race and Team versions

Both the Race and the Team version are considerably more expensive than the SL version. Are the upgrades worth it over the Sl version? Especially when compared to a Fox Vanilla R? I checked out the RockShox site and had a hard time discerning the real differences.

Thanks.

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by futonrvltnst
    Both the Race and the Team version are considerably more expensive than the SL version. Are the upgrades worth it over the Sl version? Especially when compared to a Fox Vanilla R? I checked out the RockShox site and had a hard time discerning the real differences.

Thanks.
    SL has internal floodgate adjustment where the Race and Team have external adjustment. The team is a little lighter than the race. If you are a set-it and forget it type guy I'd go with the SL.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    If you are a set-it and forget it type guy I'd go with the SL.
    Pretty much.

What does the Floodgate do? And 'where' is it set stock?

Sep 2005
    Floodgate is a pressure-relief valve when you use the lock-out feature. so when you set the fork to lock-out, not only is there still a very small amount of travel (<1"), if you happen to hit a big bump or drop off an edge, the fork can still compress more to absorb the shock. 'how much force' that's required to overcome the lock-out feature is set by Floodgate. you can set the Floodgate to have a low threshold - ie: open up with relatively little force - or high - more rigid.

on the Race/Team, you can make quick and easy adjustment of the setting with the (external) knob, which sits atop the right tube on the fork, with the compression dial. on the SL, you can still adjust Floodgate, but it's a bit more fiddly and time-consuming. it's still not hard (i have an SL); you simply use an allen key to make the adjustment instead of twisting a knob. and the setup is so well designed it includes an allen key on the end of the rebound knob (the rebound knob is at the bottom of the right tube; you can pull the knob out totally, and it's like a long screw-driver with an allen-key head on the end, so you can use it to adjust Floodgate when you're out on the track if you really wanted to).

given Floodgate is really a set-and-forget feature - and not one you would frequently change i don't think - the 'internal' adjustment is no big deal. so whilst it's 'nice' to have an 'external' adjustment knob, i wouldn't see it as a deal-maker/breaker.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I'm not sure what you ride or where you ride it but seriously consider the U-Turn version of whatever model you're looking at. It's really usefull on steep climbs or DH's, very easy to use as well.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Main feature differences between the SL, and the Race/Team is as mentioned the external floodgate adjuster and Pop-Lock remote ( means you can lock the fork from the handle bars) and also as mentioned the U-Turn (if you ride a lot of aggressive up & downhill, it helps slacken and tighten the head angle to help with decending and ascending)
    Persoanlly I've got the SL and it's just great, I set my floodgate and left it - I play with air pressures. I have considered getting the new Motion Control piece and upgrading so I have the handle bar mounted locking feature - very handy to flick on for climbs, flats etc without having to reach down to the crown to lock the fork.
    Also the Race and Team are slightly lighter depending on which version of these you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    I'm not sure what you ride or where you ride it but seriously consider the U-Turn version of whatever model you're looking at. It's really usefull on steep climbs or DH's, very easy to use as well.
    Ditto! U-turn is a great feature and makes this great fork even better and more versatile. I use the u-turn feature alot. 80mm for racing, 100mm for fun rides, and 115mm for really gnarly rides. Surprisingly, the added travel doesn't upset my geometry at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks.
    Sorry, double post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks.
    I have a brand new, in the box 2005 Reba Team 100mm (no uturn) with adjustable poploc for sale.
    Disc only. Black. $330 shipped in the US.

Gold Member
    I have to say that I finally bought a Reba with U-turn and love it!
    I never really adjusted my suspension much on the pyslo, maybe because it had to come apart each time. But the Reba rocks!
    I would definitely spend the extra $$ for the Team-Uturn-Poplock!
    Someone has them on sale for $400-450.
    I paid $399 + 11.00 shipping. for my 05 Team U-turn/P.lock on BlySky back in May.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Members who have read this thread: 0