05' Marzocchi Junior-T quesitons- Mtbr.com
    Go back to school

05' Marzocchi Junior-T quesitons

So this is probably about as simple of a fork as it gets. Dual SSV in an open bath. Anyway I found them to be way too stiff and thought I would look at getting some softer springs. I cruised to my LBS to be told that he couldn't find a good array of springs for my fork. I went home to find pretty much the same thing. There is a serious lack of information (on the internet) about Marzocchi springs and spring rates.

Anyway one of my buddies is an Aeronautical engineer (respectable mountain biker as well) and he said that in my dual SSV fork I can remove a spring set out of one side and it wont hurt anything. I did this last night and it made a world of difference. It went from 3% sag to 27% : )

I guess my question is does anyone know a good source for Marzocchi spring information or a good distributor for springs themselves? Also am I actually doing damage to my fork by using one spring set?

By the way I like this fork a lot. Simplicity is the key for me.
    Last edited by Bikesair; 06-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Chain Reaction has some, soft are on order.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=2464

They are pretty fast on shipping, longest order for me was 5 business days.

I don't think you are harming your fork with only springs in one side as all the 2008 - 2009 Marzocchi forks are that way, but to be sure I would contact Marzocchi.

Go back to school
    Does anyone know anything about SSV vs SSVF? Would it be worth trying to swap internals to a newer dampening system such as the one used in the 07' Super-T RCV?
    Die to ride, ride to die

TNC
    noMAD man

Ssv

Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    Does anyone know anything about SSV vs SSVF? Would it be worth trying to swap internals to a newer dampening system such as the one used in the 07' Super-T RCV?
    Many riders did this to the Jr.T over the years, including me. Changing the SSV to HSCV or other higher quality, compatible damper units is just about night and day difference. Many just bought one damper unit and then drilled out the other SSV damper to just make it a dummy leg. Marz even went to this method in the last year or so of the 32mm Super T. Almost anything that gets rid of the SSV damper is a huge improvement.

I didn't realize that the spring would be so heinously stiff in your model. In most past cases, it was only the damper that was the big stinker.

Go back to school
    Pretty straight forward.

I called Marzocchi and they said the would retrofit my Junior-T's to use a HSCV damper for about $200. Would it be smarter to save some more and put that $200 towards a new pair of 888's or 66's?
    Last edited by Bikesair; 06-30-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    May 2008
    damper for an 888 was quoted at 130.00 to me wonder why the T is so much more. I need the lowers of a T model if anyone has extras

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub
    damper for an 888 was quoted at 130.00 to me wonder why the T is so much more. I need the lowers of a T model if anyone has extras
    Is your $130 quote for the damper only? The $200 deal sounds like either 2 HSCV dampers or 1 HSCV damper and the work on the SSV leg to disable it...along with all other labor and parts issues like oil, etc.

As to whether it's worth it?...hard to say. I can say the fork will be a whole other animal when modded like this. It will also be quite bulletproof and durable. You don't read about many blown HSCV dampers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're doing downhill, or really anything fast, a shimmed damper is much, MUCH better than a damper rod (SSV, SSVF) setup and is readily apparent.

Go back to school
    $200 installed. The cartridge itself (part #703662KMC) was priced by Marzocchi at $145 so it's not that much more expensive.

I ordered the HSCV cartridge today and I think the $200 will probably carry me two more years on this fork. By the way the 03' and 04' Super-T's have HSCV in one side and SSV in the other. I don't think I have to disable my pumping rod but I will ask my LBS since they are the ones installing the HSCV.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    $200 installed. The cartridge itself (part #703662KMC) was priced by Marzocchi at $145 so it's not that much more expensive.

I ordered the HSCV cartridge today and I think the $200 will probably carry me two more years on this fork. By the way the 03' and 04' Super-T's have HSCV in one side and SSV in the other. I don't think I have to disable my pumping rod but I will ask my LBS since they are the ones installing the HSCV.
    You kinda do, otherwise you'll still get high speed spiking.

I just went through all the years of the Monster T, and not one of them had HSCV in one leg and SSV in the other. There really isn't any reason to do that whatsoever. What you probably saw was a rod with ports big enough that it doesn't affect oil flow.

Go back to school
    Thats the mutual response I've been getting from pretty much everyone who has done the conversion. I'm sure my shop can do the disabling.
    Die to ride, ride to die

Members who have read this thread: 0