05' Enduro with coil question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

05' Enduro with coil question

I'd like to switch out my DHX Air 5.0 with a coil shock on my 05' Enduro. The frame is setup for an 8.75x2.5 shock. I see fox doesn't make one in this size. Cane Creek has the Double Barrel but it's pretty expensive. Is there a way to modify a Fox shock? The closest they have is an 8.5x2.5 and 8.75x2.75.

mtbr member
    head over to the specialized forum and search for 'enduro coil shock'. there is a huge thread all about this, with the majority of people (myself included) going with an 8.75 x 2.75.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks! I'm looking for that thread. Does your rear tri hit the frame with the longer stroke?

mtbr member
    mine does not, but when i had it PUSHed i had them add a firmer bottom out bumper as a precaution. before i sent it in i checked and had no issues with contact, others have had some issues and chose different ways of resolving it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey thanks for the help. I just don't want to blow up this DHX Air again this season. I weigh 205lbs and have the large frame. Was looking into the new Vanilla coils but wanted to see if it had been done before. Would you say the spring calculator on Fox's website is what I should follow for setting this up?

mtbr member
    i'm not sure what fox recommends, but i'm using a 400# spring weighing 175-180 geared up.
    my bike is set up for shuttling and doesn't see much pedaling or xc use.
    i used the calc on the tftuned site for reference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm running a DHX5 coil on an 06 s works and it is very nice. Feels more like a DH bike in terms of what it will eat up on the trail. I've got the 2.75x8.75 shock woth no problems.

I was also running a PUSHed rocco RC for a while and that was really nice until the shaft snapped :-(

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Search. Lots of info. I have an '05 SX Trail (same exact frame as the enduro). You can put the 8.75x2.75 shock on. Some have minor frame contact, others do not. Put a couple of spacers (i.e. plastic washers) under the bottom out bumper to eat up some of the travel and you should be OK--that's what I did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a Fox Van R 8.75x2.75 and looking out for a Van R or RC2 fork. Gonna mess with the two bracket mounts to see if I can get a head angle close to original spec. Everything else on this thing is downhill ready. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done. Can't wait to try it out at Keystone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76
    Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a Fox Van R 8.75x2.75 and looking out for a Van R or RC2 fork. Gonna mess with the two bracket mounts to see if I can get a head angle close to original spec. Everything else on this thing is downhill ready. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done. Can't wait to try it out at Keystone!
    the i2i of your new shock is the same as the original - mounting the new rear shock won't change the angles.

Members who have read this thread: 0