02 Fox Float R- Leaks Air, Need upgrade or fix ideas?- Mtbr.com
    jhc
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

02 Fox Float R- Leaks Air, Need upgrade or fix ideas?

Hello,

I have a 02 Fox Float R which is leaking air somewhere, it's a slow leak, within 3 hrs all the air escapes. Any ideas where to look. It's past the warrranty, and a service would cost about 50 bucks.

Sooo, I'm thinking another excuse to spend more money on bike parts. Looking to maybe upgrade to a Lockout. This is the only bike I own, I train on the road with slicks, so a lockout would help out a lot. I have a 03 black elite w/lockout, 80-100 up front.
    I'm thinking Propedal w/lockout, Manitou spv.. any ideas. Or should I go for the fix.

My frame is a 02 stumpy fsr.

Thanks,
    JHC

Do It Yourself
    As far as you leak goes, I would check the schrader valve and the main shaft seal. Stick it under some water to see if it bubbles. Schader cores can be cleaned and tightened or replaced and the main shaft seal can be easily replaced.

You could look at the new shocks but another option would be to send your Float into Push Industries. They do the shock up right with all new guts, two stage piston (which adds separate high speed damping circuit), stable platform, new urthane seals and custom shim stack setup for you and your bike. The difference is night and day. I only have a few rides on mine but it's made a world of difference. It not only pedals better but it's more plush as well. It's truely amazing. Getting the rebuild from Push is much cheaper than a new shock and much better than what you would get from any stock shock anyway.

Give Darren a call. He really knows his stuff and loves to talk about it. Not much on the web except prices and contact info. Even though the Float isn't listed, it gets the same treatment as the same as the Vanilla. Price is the same, about $140.

http://www.pushindustries.com/

Some recent articles...
    http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=872
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=1794

And you can see the before and after bits and pieces here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=7872

And if you decide to go with a Swinger, Darren is going to be working those over as well.

jhc
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Thanks, You got it right!

Thanks a sh*tload! You got it right on. Took it off and placed it under water, and sure enough air bubbles, about one every second coming out of the valve.

I guess I deserve it for riding w/o a valve cover for last 6 months. Thanks for the tips and the recommendation. I will give them a call next time.

any suggestions on cleaning the valve.
    I plan on unscrewing it(after all the air is out) and using simple green solvent.

JHC

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc
    Thanks a sh*tload! You got it right on. Took it off and placed it under water, and sure enough air bubbles, about one every second coming out of the valve.

I guess I deserve it for riding w/o a valve cover for last 6 months. Thanks for the tips and the recommendation. I will give them a call next time.

any suggestions on cleaning the valve.
    I plan on unscrewing it(after all the air is out) and using simple green solvent.

JHC
    I wouldn't use Simple Green. It can be corrosive to some metals. Maybe just a q-tip. You just want to clean the dirt out so it seals properly.

how heavy are you ??

Dont do it

Stay away from rear fox shocks because they are not realiable ....trust me the only way is to go to cane creek look at the reviews on here and you will see i am not the only one that agrees..... be good

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc
    Hello,

I have a 02 Fox Float R which is leaking air somewhere, it's a slow leak, within 3 hrs all the air escapes. Any ideas where to look. It's past the warrranty, and a service would cost about 50 bucks.

Sooo, I'm thinking another excuse to spend more money on bike parts. Looking to maybe upgrade to a Lockout. This is the only bike I own, I train on the road with slicks, so a lockout would help out a lot. I have a 03 black elite w/lockout, 80-100 up front.
    I'm thinking Propedal w/lockout, Manitou spv.. any ideas. Or should I go for the fix.

My frame is a 02 stumpy fsr.

Thanks,
    JHC
    Send it to PUSH!!!! I recently got mine back for my '01 SJ and its great! Concider a BETD link too.

Mark

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    Stay away from rear fox shocks because they are not realiable ....trust me the only way is to go to cane creek look at the reviews on here and you will see i am not the only one that agrees..... be good
    The dated dual air Englund damping on Cane Creeks is no where near as nice as the stock Fox Float and not even in the same universe as a Push modified Float. I've had my Float for 2 years no troubles, not even a seal change. I'm not saying Floats are perfect, but I wouldn't make any blanket statements that they are not reliable. Cane Creeks have some nice features, (lightweight, user serviceable, etc) but the overall performance doesn't match up with Fox, Manitou, etc.