Íhlins issue solution for RXF 34 Air and RXF 36 Air recall

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    They will probably apply loctite to threads

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo007 View Post
    They will probably apply loctite to threads
    I was thinking the same thing....lol. I ride in Brevard pretty often, may take it in there and see if I can get them to give me a custom tune on my 36 to get rid of the harshness on the small stuff

Reps in da house.
    Your harshness is most likely the ramp-up chamber pressure that has bled into the third air chamber or the main chamber. That can be remedied with a standard air cartridge rebuild.

The procedure to fix the forks' air-side top cap recall is unthread the top cap and compress the fork, clean the threads on the top cap and the fork threads, de-grease with rubbing alcohol and apply a medium strength threadlocker halfway around the top cap threads. Thread the top cap back in and torque to 32N-m..... voila!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Your harshness is most likely the ramp-up chamber pressure that has bled into the third air chamber or the main chamber. That can be remedied with a standard air cartridge rebuild.

The procedure to fix the forks' air-side top cap recall is unthread the top cap and compress the fork, clean the threads on the top cap and the fork threads, de-grease with rubbing alcohol and apply a medium strength threadlocker halfway around the top cap threads. Thread the top cap back in and torque to 32N-m..... voila!
    Yeah, I called them and they basically told me that was all there was to the recall. I had only owned this bike for a day when I saw the recall, checked the cap and it was indeed loose, kinda hate to loctite something like that, I think I'll just torque and watch, thats what the tech actually suggested off the record.

As far as the harshness my understanding is Specialized spec'ed it with some pro level dampening that causes the harshness on the small stuff. Ohlins told me to bring it in and they would take care of it, called it their "Swedish Massage" and would improve things considerably. Reading in another forum they did quite a bit, even swapped dampers. I imagine they will be adding another washer for the low speed compression or something. Also I think they use some pretty heavy oil, 20W IIRC, that wouldn't help. TOok it for the first real ride yesterday, it was pretty cold, 40's, and it pushed out pretty bad in the first couple of turns, but as the suspension warmed and loosened up it got better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm wondering what this "performance upgrade" is going to be? I betting just bushings or nothing at all. Spec has had my rear shock since august with no word back. This is my third S Works and probably the last after this latest bs. It's stupid to shell out the amount of cash for the S Works and be a beta tester for this garbage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
    I'm wondering what this "performance upgrade" is going to be? I betting just bushings or nothing at all. Spec has had my rear shock since august with no word back. This is my third S Works and probably the last after this latest bs. It's stupid to shell out the amount of cash for the S Works and be a beta tester for this garbage.
    I would be livid